[Archive] Warhammer: Chaos Dwarfs

Thommy H:

“The Chaos Dwarfs are slavers and industrialists without compare. From their foul and polluted realm in the Dark Lands they plot the eventual overthrow of the Old World using their Legions of heavily armed and armoured soldiers, their hordes of wretched greenskin slaves and their half-sentient daemonically possessed war machines. Combining the unyielding character and cunning artifice of the Dwarfs with evil sorcery and numerous expendable troops, the Chaos Dwarfs are a threat �?” and a challenge �?" like no other."

Current Version: 3.20

[issuu]130420171958-3ebba0321a384aa490c35d70ead6c149,warhammer_-_chaos_dwarfs,doc,Thommy_H,Warhammer%3A%20Chaos%20Dwarfs,130420171958-3ebba0321a384aa490c35d70ead6c149[/issuu]

Download link (10 MB )

What this is:

• A complete, relatively well playtested Armies book for Chaos Dwarfs featuring everything - and I mean everything - you’d find in a real book made by Games Workshop including background, rules, artwork and models.

• An attempt to create a viable 8th Edition vision of Chaos Dwarfs. Its format is based on the format of the current full-colour hardback Warhammer Armies books, with all the inherent limitations of that medium. If you don’t find it in a current Armies book, you won’t find it in this. It has no hobby content (except pictures of finished models), no tactical advice, no suggested army lists, no base sizes and no army list variants. The place to find things like that is the Word of Hashut webzine.

• Something to use instead of the Legion of Azgorh list from Tamurkhan: Throne of Chaos. The rules are not mutually exclusive, exactly, but they aren’t especially compatible. This version of Chaos Dwarfs is designed to be “complete” and the units have been written to have synergy and thematic resonance with each other. If you plug parts of it into LoA or vice versa, they may not work very well. Alan Bligh’s way of doing Chaos Dwarfs is a bit different from mine, although there are some similarities!

What this is not:

• Entirely my own work. None of the artwork is mine and the credits page is very exhaustive. In a fundamental sense, this book owes its genesis to the CDO community, whose various members helped inspire, modify and playtest it. However, it is not a compilation of other people’s ideas, writing or rules - all of the text, the precise wording on every single page of this book, is mine. I don’t claim to have invented Chaos Dwarfs, but I did write this book. If you wish to use any of the content, please ask my permission. My real name is on this and I have fairly high standards for the things I put it to. If you want to just use a unit or concept that you saw in my book, that’s probably fine if you give me credit, but I’m unlikely to allow the use of prose taken verbatim from its pages.

• Any attempt at saying this is “the” way to play Chaos Dwarfs. The Legion of Azgorh list and the various other fan-created lists out there are fine pieces of work and the existence of my book shouldn’t be taken as casting aspersions on any of them. I don’t advertise this book on any other forums, I don’t tell people they should use it, I don’t talk it up as anything but my own idiosyncratic vision of the army. I made it principally for myself, but other people have enjoyed it enough to try it for themselves and, astonishingly, base their own collections of Chaos Dwarfs on its rules.

• Official, by any stretch of the imagination. This is a fan-created work, and though it resembles the format of current Warhammer Armies books quite closely, don’t be fooled! I’m not responsible for any arguments you might get into with your regular opponents about being able to use it or not…

I think that covers everything. Enjoy!

zobo1942:

Wow - really, really well done.

Excellent work, as always.

Wiggles:

Incredible work there sir!!!

JonJon:

Thank you it’s great

Rolemodeld:

Looks great, but I used the link and still get the error for those few army list pages in the back.

G.2:

This is one AWESOME piece of work. I have just printed it (I am old school) in colour and I have also ring-bound it and I am now taking it home to read. Once the family has gone to bed.

Just a note. I could not print page 66 ( the page between Gorduz Backstabber and Daemonic upgrades), I tried several ways, even to point of printing it, just on its own, and I get a printer error. Where-as the rest of the book, I can print in about 30 page batches in colour without a problem.

OVerall thanks for the AWESOME book.

Thommy H:

Looks great, but I used the link and still get the error for those few army list pages in the back.

Rolemodeld
Yeah, there seems to be an error with the PDF for some reason. Should have checked that first... *grumble grumble*

I'll fix it tonight.

Larendard:

Send this thing to GW and plead for them to release it - it’s fantastic!!!

G.2:

Send this thing to GW and plead for them to release it - it's fantastic!!!!

Larendard
Actually I think that is GW that needs to do the pleading.

vulcanologist:

Well Thommy, where do I start?!

Simply amazing!

I think people here really need to grasp the sheer skill, determination, attention to detail and plainly above all the love of your subject that you clearly have.

It’s almost impossible to put into words my admiration for you and this piece of work. As has been hinted at in some of the the previous posts, this army book really is on a par with anything Games Workshop themselves can create, infact probably better due to the fact that your passion for your subject shines through much more.

Your previous editions gave me so much pleasure (except in the wallett paying for all those prints!) but this seems superior in every way…something I didn’t think possible!

I hope the staff here at CDO find some way of acknowledging your services to the Chaos Dwarf cause by awarding you a special medal or something for this remarkable achievement!

Well thats enough hyperbole don’t want you to get above yourself and stop being the same old acerbic, cantankerous git that we all know and love!

Thanks again Thommy… wonderful!!!

JMR:

Very, very cool Thommy! Like others have said, your book can proudly compete with any official book in terms of look and feel. It may even go beyond that, because it showcases and encourages conversion options and hobby creativity. I think that’s what Warhammer needs to be about.

I’ll happily continue to use your book for my games (although I haven’t fielded the Dawi Zharr recently) instead of Tamurkhan, which feels narrow-minded and out-of-touch with the current state of Warhammer.

I’ve only had two quick read-throughs so far, so I can’t comment much yet from a balance point of view. I do have to admit I’m a bit sceptical about the Acolytes generating Power/Dispel dice. 130 points to get an extra dice in each phase might be a bit much. Also, generating extra dice seems to be something GW is moving away from. It’ll have to be tested on the field I suppose!

I love how all of the constructs and engines have so, so much room for people to make and use their own models. I’m really going to have to build some mad constructs sometime!

On a slightly unrelated note. As far as printing goes, how much do you guys have to pay to get something like this printed? I’ve looked around a few months ago to get an idea of pricing, but it seems like it would cost me a small army’s worth of euro’s to print the book! What are other people’s experiences?

JonJon:

Thanks for the Overlord Renegade I will be using him almost exclusivley.I like your system the only issue I have is the lore of hashut is not same as in the Tamurkhan,this is a small complaint love the book

Jon

Agalstrax:

I just printed your last one … :frowning:

Nice work again!! :hat off

Baggronor:

Epic. I shall read it when I get home.

I think the list makes more sense now too, feels like there is much more synergy.

JMR:

I’m currently trying my luck at updating the army builder file. I’ve been at it for at least 30 minutes now and managed to add the Sappara option! I guess I’ll be done next year or so…

Thommy H:

Hello! Thank you all so much for the kind words. I’m about to start work on fixing this PDF, and I’ll re-upload it when I’m done. I actually had the same problem with another PDF I was making last night for an unrelated project, and I assumed it was caused by a new font I was using, but it seems like there’s a deeper issue! I’ve (obviously) restarted my computer since then though, so hopefully it’s resolved itself - I made the PDF fine loads of times before, so it’s typical the final one I try to actually upload and share with the world would go wrong!

Anyway, responding to a few of your specific comments:

I do have to admit I’m a bit sceptical about the Acolytes generating Power/Dispel dice. 130 points to get an extra dice in each phase might be a bit much. Also, generating extra dice seems to be something GW is moving away from. It’ll have to be tested on the field I suppose!

JMR
I think this is a valid comment and I’m going to look at it now. That particular Dirge is the only one that remained unchanged, and I think you’re right that it doesn’t fit so well with 8th Edition. I think it might become a +1 casting bonus to Wizards within 6" or something. I may have to word it in such a way that the bonus can only be received once though.
Thanks for the Overlord Renegade I will be using him almost exclusivley.I like your system the only issue I have is the lore of hashut is not same as in the Tamurkhan,this is a small complaint love the book

JonJon
Thanks - my Lore of Hashut predates the one in Tamurkhan though, actually. It’s mostly unchanged from previous editions (though I admit that Fugue of Hashut is based on Breath of Hatred…). I’m glad you want to use my rules too, but could I request that you give them a try on their own sometime if your regular opponents let you? The units aren’t designed to be mixed and matched with the LoA ones - which seem to be balanced against things like the Destroyer and Magma Cannon instead of working on their own merits - and, in theory, you can do anything you could with the LoA with my book too.

cornixt:

First the technical bits:

Why are some bestiary entries pluralised and others not?

Pyromancer army list entry has him as a “Diregemaster”

Are there meant to be asterisks in front of the special rules for the Doom Harness? I spotted a few on other bestiary pages too.

I can only see the Heroes and Core units in the army list, Acrobat tells me the other pages are corrupt.

Very nicely done, looks gorgeous, and it doesn’t slow my PC to a crawl like some other army books seemed to do. I’m a bit overwhelmed by the number of special characters, are there that many in the new army books? One thing that sticks out is that there is a lot of everything. It might actually benefit a bit from being pared down - do you really need the Doom Cannon, Altar, and Infernal Engine? There is a lot of crossover there. Maybe also trim down the daemonic upgrades list, there is quite a bit of overlap there too.

I look forward to seeing how the war machines are put together in the army list. The page of Daemonic Upgrades makes me fearful that they will be as awkward as before. I really think they would benefit from being put into categories since some are blatantly only going to be able to be taken by certain units (combat upgrades, shooting upgrades, defence upgrades, etc)

Agalstrax:

I hate to be the smartass, especially in case of a product thats, excapt a little faillure, as perfect as yours.

But the Altar of Hashut has two different ward saves 4+ / 3+ or is it my fault??

Keeps beeing a great work of you!!

Thommy H:

Why are some bestiary entries pluralised and others not?
They're all pluralised - it's just that the plural of Doomcannon is Doomcannon and the plural of Lammasu is Lammasu. Special characters are obviously singular.
Pyromancer army list entry has him as a "Diregemaster"
I assume you mean Pyrophant, but I'm not sure what you mean exactly. Dirgemaster is one of his special rules.
Are there meant to be asterisks in front of the special rules for the Doom Harness? I spotted a few on other bestiary pages too.
That's how the newest Armies books do special rules that refer to asterisks in characteristic profiles. The Mortis Engine and Coven Throne have it with their Random Attacks, for example.
I'm a bit overwhelmed by the number of special characters, are there that many in the new army books?
Not so many in the last couple since this Chapterhouse business has encouraged GW to only do rules for things they can make models for, but it's about the same number as in the O&G and Tomb Kings books.
t might actually benefit a bit from being pared down - do you really need the Doom Cannon, Altar, and Infernal Engine? There is a lot of crossover there. Maybe also trim down the daemonic upgrades list, there is quite a bit of overlap there too.
Sorry, but you do remember the last version of this book, right? The Infernal Engine and Doomcannon have been intentionally split off from the old Daemonic Engine entry so that they're each easier to use. You've mentioned the thing about categorising the Upgrades before, and that was in response to the former Daemonic Engine's overwhelming army list entry with its massive list of options! So this is kind of a direct response to that exact complaint.
The page of Daemonic Upgrades makes me fearful that they will be as awkward as before.
Well it's one page compared to the two there used to be, so it should be a bit better. But I'm having a problem turning my Word document into a PDF right now, and that's why the version up there is corrupted. Hopefully when you can see the whole army list, it'll all make a bit more sense!

Thommy H:

I hate to be the smartass, especially in case of a product thats, excapt a little faillure, as perfect as yours.

But the Altar of Hashut has two different ward saves 4+ / 3+ or is it my fault??
Keeps beeing a great work of you!!

Agalstrax
It should be a 4+ ward save. It's a typo which I shall fix right away!