[Archive] Warhammer: Chaos Dwarfs

Thommy H:

Updated version with corrected Palanquin profile, removal of the Ferocious Upgrade from Hellborn Constructs and some very slight changes to the Rampage rule uploaded. Note that the Issuu document is still updating as of the time of writing, so it might not show up for a little bit.

ryanamandaanna:

Any more foreseen updates? I only ask because I’m getting ready to have it printed and bound. :cheers

Thommy H:

Depends what suggestions people make! I’d hold your horses for now: I’ve found that it doesn’t matter how many times I proof something or how happy I am with it, as soon as it’s given to a load of new people to look at, they spot a bunch of things you can’t believe I missed.

JMR:

... and some very slight changes to the Rampage rule uploaded.

Thommy H
If I'm not mistaken, this change means you can use a Battle Standard bearer re-roll on Rampages now. On the other hand, it's no longer effected by any Ld buffs or debuffs.

Thommy H:

Yeah. I decided the BSB re-roll was probably not a problem.

Rolemodeld:

Does the Hobgoblin Overseer get light armour?

Thommy H:

Nope.

This message was automatically appended because it was too short.

Rolemodeld:

Alright thanks for quick reply and amazing job with the army book!

JMR:

Thommy, is a Palanquin’s Strength of 4 correct? The mentioned fluff and the Magical Attacks special rule suggests that it’s carried by Immortals wielding Cursed Weapons, but they don’t get the +1S bonus? (For S5 total).

Thommy H:

Hm…that’s a good point…

JMR:

Hm...that's a good point...

Thommy H
Why, thank you!

It's not that it needs a higher strength from a gaming point of view or anything, it's just that it sort of lies in the line of expectation.

A little more feedback if I may be so free;

The Bullroar spell! I'm not sure it's going to achieve much. It makes your units immune to panic till end of turn. So that means no worry about panic tests in your next shooting and close combat phase. How big is the chance of having to take a Panic test in your own shooting and CC phases anyway? In the shooting phase there's the risk of a stray warmachine shot or the Altar hitting a Disposable unit. In the CC phase there's a higher risk, but still not too much it seems. Is it intended to work in conjunction with an Altar/Warpshriek (Lore of Hashut Lore Attribute)? It just seems a bit lacklustre the way it is right now. It would definitely be the first spell I'd swap for the Signature spell if I'd roll it.

Mind, maybe I'll think different of it once I get some game-time in.

Actually, after having written this and going over everything again, I guess it's fairly useful in order to prevent panic tests on Disposable units when you follow up with a boosted Fugue of Hashut and/or shoot with an Altar. 13/18+ to cast is maybe still a bit much for this niche, though.

I considered simply deleting everything I wrote about the Bullroar, but I figured it might be interesting to see my thought-process while reading your book.

Edit: Have you compared it to the Light of Battle spell from the Lore of Light?

Edit2: Infernal Icon magic item is called Icon of Azgorh by mistake on page 69.

Thommy H:

Bullroar is supposed to last until the end of the other player’s next turn (so it lasts a full game turn). I’ll check the wording.

Hashut’s Blessing:

Normally that kind of wording is down as “Until the caster’s next magic phase”,w hich means you won’t panic from Dangerous Terrain as well :wink:

Thommy H:

Yeah, that’s what it should be - it’s probably a copy and paste error, because Bullroar used to do something a bit different. I’ll also probably just make the Palanquin be armed with a cursed weapon too.

Also, after looking at a list posted in the Army List forum, I’ve realised I don’t like that the BSB allows you to re-roll Rampage tests after all. I’ve sort of considered putting in some fluff about how the BSB somehow calms Bound Daemons…but no, if you want a model to babysit your Doomcannon, it should be a Daemonsmith, not a Despot with a flag.

Thommy H:

First post updated with the above changes.

MLP:

This is fantastic! Can’t belive I’ve only just seen it here!

I’m currently watching Tamurkhan burn as I read through this.

Thommy H:

I’ve put up a fairly minor update - I spotted a typo in the Army List section which has been corrected. I also tweaked the Palanquin to have a cursed weapon like Immortals instead of just upping the Strength like I did before. This necessitated a redesign of the character mounts entry, but I don’t think anyone will care that much!

Anyway, the only change that might be relevant to anyone is the introduction of a version number on the title page. Every time I upload a new version, I’ll change that number so you know which is the most current. If you want to check if the version you have on your hard drive is the current one, see whether its number matches the one on my Issuu document. This should help everyone keep track of changes.

Dervish Helldance:

Incredible! You switched the name of the Warlord to Overlord - great - and the background of Volgar is really entertaining. The only thing I might be critical to is the magic items, especially the weapons (yes, I know the 8th ed books only have two or three magic weapons), which I find a little, well, not usable… At least the Dark Mace of Death. The Black Hammer of Hashut is nice, but I personally see no reason to take the mace. Also, I would like to see one of the (quite many) banners switched for either a third weapon or a second armour piece.

Oh, and something minor I noticed: On page 67, at Fuelled by Fire, you have spelled Aqshy wrong.

Thommy H:

Okay, new version (3.10) uploaded. Changes are:

• Got rid of text saying “IO” that somehow appeared on the cover. No idea what happened there.

• Updated the credits to include the GW rules for Black Orcs and Ogres that the book contains.

• Corrected the typo on the Daemonic Upgrades page (thanks, Dervish Helldance).

• Dropped the Banner of Zharr as it wasn’t very interesting and replaced it with a new magic item - the Black Iron Deathmask.

• The Immortals page in the “A Call to Ruin” section has been changed to incorporate Vulcanologist’s excellent Petrified Sorcerer model.

Lava Lord:

:cheers this is a definite work of love and it shows. great rules, can’t wait to use them!!!