[Archive] Warhammer Forge Release Dates

Forged in Darkness:

OK, I was just browsing Warseer when I came across two rather intriguing posts on this thread: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?s=e6eb0b62961f872a38510f829709544c&t=277543&page=10

FW. Had a nice long chat whilst ordering as much of the terrain as possible. Some interesting tidbits I’ll not spread too much, but suffice to say that WF will be awhile down the road. Unveiling =/= release.
Honestly … I don’t think folks would believe the news surrounding this project at the moment even if I posted it.
These two users have revealed nothing more so far, and one has refused to speak when specifically asked, for some reason. My question is, does anybody here know anything about what they’re talking about or the release dates in general?

Grimstonefire:

The first quote may be because (afaik) they will be phasing in the releases for the first book, some before and some after.  People are suggesting the book will have a limited release at the FW open day, so I’d anticipate possibly May for a general release???  Just a guess.

The second quote is certainly interesting.  Have you tried googling around things to do with the warhammer forge and the book?  That may throw up something. :wink:

Grimstonefire:

I could have answered the second point there properly a week ago, but I was asked not to share it so I didn’t.

Now that others have posted it around the web, and it has been confirmed…

After 28 years with GW Rick Priestley has been made redundant, obviously meaning that he will have no part to play in future Warhammer Forge publications.

If you had time searched google within the last day/week it had already been posted a few times around the web, hence my cryptic reply above. :wink:

It is my understanding that this shouldn’t change the release dates of things we’ve seen already.  It may or may not change the release dates of future products, not sure yet.

nitroglysarine:

After 28 years with GW Rick Priestley has been made redundant, obviously meaning that he will have no part to play in future Warhammer Forge publications.

Grimstonefire
Well that sucks!

slev:

Grimstonefire
Well that sucks!

nitroglysarine
WTF???

clam:

That’s very sad news. Rick was our big hope for the future :frowning: He played a big part in the 5th ed rule set - and with WF he seems to have brought back a lot of that ‘old feel’. Another sad day for GW, I’m afraid.

So, when do he starts at Warlord Games, then? - or do some freelance stuff for Mantic? :wink:

Baggronor:

W.T.F. Why does GW insist on cutting away their most valuable assets? Chambers, Haines and now Priestley too. Any details as to why?

nitroglysarine:

W.T.F. Why does GW insist on cutting away their most valuable assets? Chambers, Haines and now Priestley too. Any details as to why?

Baggronor
Stupidity? Increase profits? Get more people who know feck all about the history?

-for all we know it could have been mutual? or illness? Just speculating of course.

Baggronor:

Well, hopefully it was his decision; I find it hard to believe even GW management could be so daft as to get rid of him so soon after WF’s announcement. That really would be painfully stupid. He may already have a cushty post at Warlord lined up of course. Which would be nice.

Obsidian:

Guess Mantic will have another ex GW’er on board soon!^^

GRNDL:

I’m betting its part of “purging the nobility” so the company can take some kind of new direction without opposition. Ultimately, companies are owned by bean counters and the creative types can’t do crap. Getting rid of the old guard can only help a new administration. Unfortunately, it will also do nothing but destroy what’s there right now, since there’s no connection to the company’s creative roots.

Are you sure he was fired and not just leaving of his own accord?

nitroglysarine:

Guess Mantic will have another ex GW'er on board soon!^^

Obsidian
fingers crossed!!! :hat off

Nicodemus:

I'm betting its part of "purging the nobility" so the company can take some kind of new direction without opposition.

GRNDL
This was kind of what I was thinking.

I wonder how much he'd be willing to talk about down the road if asked about the circumstances. I too find it hard to believe that he wouldn't have had some idea this was going to happen and would have been involved in the transition, or at the very least was given lots of notice to make his next job leap.

Strangely enough... only somewhat related - my own Dad told the company he was working for back in the late 80s/early 90s that they couldn't afford to keep him and if they were really serious about aggressively pursuing profit and wanted to move forward he would have to leave.  I believe he tendered his resignation either that day or very close to it.  When I heard that full story several years later I had one of those "WTF" moments too... but he was just very matter of fact about it and had all of his ducks in a row and knew what he was doing next anyway.

Fingers crossed for us old Chaos Dwarfs though eh? Maybe they'll get some new blood that'll want to take us in a bold and exciting new direction... and then again... maybe my Chaos Dwarfs will start employing cute pink pixies and faeries in their army tomorrow too.

~N

GRNDL:

Fingers crossed for us old Chaos Dwarfs though eh? Maybe they'll get some new blood that'll want to take us in a bold and exciting new direction... and then again... maybe my Chaos Dwarfs will start employing cute pink pixies and faeries in their army tomorrow too.

Nicodemus
I can't see them showing off all those models at Games Day only to can the entire line because of one person leaving, especially with all the positive response they got. They may be delayed, but with company launches and the launch of new product lines, doing it right rather than rushed is a good thing.

Tarrakk Blackhand:

Well hopefully this won’t spell the end (Again) for Chaos Dwarfs.

Thommy H:

You know, this might not actually be the story everyone thinks it is. Gav still writes for the Black Library, and he “left” Games Workshop. I didn’t even realise that Rick was on GW’s permanent payroll these days and do you not think maybe this could just be formalising what was already the case? He doesn’t do anything for GW’s core systems these days (and hasn’t in some years) so probably someone just realised they had a guy sitting around being paid without really doing anything! There’s no reason whatsoever he can’t continue to do work for Warhammer Forge on a freelance basis, in the same way that Gav does for Black Library. Indeed, the whole point of this might be to free him up to concentrate on that.

Just a thought anyway.

Grimstonefire:

From what I hear Rick is no longer involved in the WF project (or any GW projects), but perhaps you are right and he will do bits freelance.

Border Reiver:

That leaves Jervis and Mr. Blanche…

cornixt:

If he joins Mantic then that pretty much makes Mantic a serious competitor for GW. Obviously they aren’t in the same league right now, but with the amount of respect and skill these people bring will mean that lots more people will be paying attention to what they bring out and the company could beef up very quickly.

Thommy H:

Rick Priestly is going to be bringing decent models and non-derivative rules with him then, is he?