[Archive] Warhammer: Nippon

Thommy H:

I have no explanation. Some ideas popped into my head and now I have regurgitated them all over the place so you can look too. This is a White Dwarf-style list not a full Armies book, presented in two parts. This is bestiary and background. Hopefully there’s something here for everyone to enjoy. Army list will be forthcoming, and hasn’t even been written yet so speculate and suggest any ideas you like.

Thommy H:

I have no explanation. Some ideas popped into my head and now I have regurgitated them all over the place so you can look too. This is a White Dwarf-style list not a full Armies book, presented in two parts. This is bestiary and background. Hopefully there’s something here for everyone to enjoy. Army list will be forthcoming, and hasn’t even been written yet so speculate and suggest any ideas you like.

zobo1942:

Gojira! Sweeeeeet!

This message was automatically appended because it was too short.

Naagruz:

Ki-rin or Temple Dogs? They had a place as alternate mounts for the army general in Warhammer Armies.

Neat list!

Thommy H:

That concept originates in China and, while the Japanese have their own distinct version (Komainu) I decided it was too much of the sort of “pan-Oriental” thing I wanted to avoid. They belong with Cathay, I think. It’s kind of like how trebuchets were used by loads of European nations, but only Bretonnians - the Warhammer French - get them in the game because of their specific association with medieval warfare. Tilean pikes, Chaos Dwarf blunderbusses, etc. etc.

Parish:

Aoow ! Nice job !

I just read the stories not the characters’profil , it’s well written .

beefcake:

Nice job. I like the Gojira but it does seem a tad over-powered with all those 9’s. Still nice job all round there.

Thommy H:

His points value will reflect his abilities. I.e. he won’t be practical to field ever. It’s quality game design.

Baggronor:

I think I’ll send you my Nippon army list, there’s a few things I think you’d like.

That concept originates in China and, while the Japanese have their own distinct version (Komainu) I decided it was too much of the sort of “pan-Oriental” thing I wanted to avoid. They belong with Cathay, I think. It’s kind of like how trebuchets were used by loads of European nations, but only Bretonnians - the Warhammer French - get them in the game because of their specific association with medieval warfare. Tilean pikes, Chaos Dwarf blunderbusses, etc. etc.
The whole notion of riding Komainu is kinda silly anyway :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Thommy H:

I think I'll send you my Nippon army list, there's a few things I think you'd like.

Baggronor
Go for it. Gojira isn't going anywhere though.

warh:

I like it! I’ve always wanted a Nippon army but never got around doing one, maybe this will help.

beefcake:

I also like the idea of the Oni. Ogres affected by warpstone, cool.

Baggronor:

Gojira isn't going anywhere though.
Best. Idea. Ever. :) I love the giant moth reference.

I would change some of the namings though ;)

PM your email address and I'll mail you mine, though it's looks pretty shoddy in comparison.

Thommy H:

What’s wrong with the names? I spent literally minutes looking things up on Wikipedia and then swapping syllables around!

My e-mail is this user name, with no space, at gmail dot com.

Naagruz:

The whole notion of riding Komainu is kinda silly anyway ;P

Baggronor
Silly how?!:D
[attachment=3341]

This list is a great excuse to spend some money on the great figs from Bushido!

Thommy H:

Ah! I wish I’d been able to find those on Google when I was looking for pictures! I might nick a few for the revised version of part 1…

cornixt:

Seems like a nice start, and sounds like you have a pretty solid army list already in mind. I’d have preferred to have seen more non-human elements though, making up 50% or so of the list, otherwise it will become just another slightly different Nippon list of which there are so many of already. Maybe make mini-Oni or small dragons become a major part of the list, or just spirits in general like Tengu (or visually more like the random types in Spirited Away).

vulcanologist:

Haven’t had a chance to look at this yet Thommy, I’ll try to read through it ASAP. But I agree it could

Be a great opportunity to purchase some of those Bushido figures!

Skink:

Personally I love all your work and yes, I’m amongst those who think that adding Gojira is an idea insanely brilliant.

beefcake:

I just want to see someone have a game of chaos swarf artillery against Gojira. That would be quite fun to watch.