[Archive] Warhammer Total War - the Old World lives :)

Fuggit Khan:

These video clips are new to me (my apologies if they’re old to everyone else)…the graphics and art direction looks quite nice:

Introducing... Savage Orc Boar Boyz Big'Uns - YouTube

And while this clip is rather long and wordy…they do mention a few times that the entire Old World and ALL the races will eventually be added with expansions. I’m hoping that “all” means our beloved Chaos Dwarfs as well :slight_smile:

- YouTube

The Old World lives! Despite AoS.

Admiral:

Warhammer Total War looks marvellous so far, and even if CDs won’t be part of the official release, you can bet the modding community will see to them. There’s always been Warhammer (and Lotr) mods for the historical Total War games, and it’s about time they gave WHFB a try. :cheers

snowblizz:

Warhammer Total War looks marvellous so far, and even if CDs won't be part of the official release, you can bet the modding community will see to them. There's always been Warhammer (and Lotr) mods for the historical Total War games, and it's about time they gave WHFB a try. :cheers

Admiral
Sucks for the to have bought rights only to have GW yank the carpet form under them though. My lawyers would be looking at that, if it was me.

Forgefire:

Really looking forward to this :smiley: Has been a dream of mine that they should tackle Warhammer since i love both Shogun and Rome their previous games.

gIL^:

Warhammer Total War looks marvellous so far, and even if CDs won't be part of the official release, you can bet the modding community will see to them. There's always been Warhammer (and Lotr) mods for the historical Total War games, and it's about time they gave WHFB a try. :cheers

Admiral
No modding tools of any kind, GW has the game locked down completely. :(

Dînadan:

Admiral
No modding tools of any kind, GW has the game locked down completely. :(

gIL^
I'm sure gamers who are resourceful enough will find a way to hack it and spread it via unofficial channels.

Admiral:

No modding tools at all? GW really should be less restrictive in the area of computer games. Total War mods are something of an equivalent to the custom maps in RTS games like Starcraft and Warcraft III. While the core games themselves were great, what truly helped make them into such lasting successes were the thriving custom maps, which vastly expanded the core game itself and even let you play completely different games in the core game. While mods for Total War, or Civilization for that matter, are not fully so important to the games as custom maps in WC3, they’re still a testament to the lessons to be learnt from SC and WC3: The more customizability, the better. The more tools provided for players to tinker with their own maps and mods to add onto the core game, the higher the value of the core game itself. Warhammer: Total War looks like it will be a success, fingers crossed, and there is no sensible reason whatsoever to diminish the game by cutting out the mods. Possible unofficial channels aside, the producers of big games should promote their product by making it accessible for customization.

Mods for Warhammer: Total War would conceivably contain such things as Amazons, Chaos Dwarfs, a whole-world campaign with Araby, Ind and Cathay included, not to mention unit skins for oldschool miniatures and oddball extra units. Various custom campaigns would likely spring up, both set in the Warhammer world such as the War of the Beard, the Sundering or whatnot, and more ambitious mods using the game engine but switching many model files to make Game of Thrones, Lotr mods and so on. This custom-made wealth can only be a good thing for the game and might even earn it some extra sales in the long run. As such, cutting it out probably has something to do with obsessive (and to some extent potentially self-destructive) IP reasons, or less dreadfully it is down to sheer ignorance of the computer game scene.

gIL^:

I play Total wars games alot, even with mod tools the current engine is obtuse intentionally. In an interview they said that GW doesn’t want modding of any kind https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/33hf39/total_war_warhammer_will_not_have_mod_support/

Admiral yes there is mods out there, but total conversions are not possible as the campaign map is completely uneditable. I also expect warhammer total war wont have many modders either as it’s not a main game.

The modding community is dieing the mods that you speak about are for the medieval 2 total war engine which is a decade old. The modders are not leaving because they don’t want to, it’s just that they can’t crack the engine. We had hopes Empire total war was going to get a global map edited in and that never could be achieved and that was 7 years ago.

Even though total war games at launch are just terrible im not going to complain to much, a warhammer total war game is a mixture of my 2 favorite things. So exited.

Horace:

I am pretty excited about this game.

I think there is a very good chance of seeing Chaos Dwarfs too, I am sure I read somewhere we can expect all 16 races via the triology/DLC/FLC… which leaves 1 race extra other than the core ones…

Forgefire:

Hey guys!They release some gameplay videos every now and then and guess what i spotted today :wink: - YouTube

Bloodbeard:

I don’t really play PC games anymore, use the time painting miniatures instead. I do get the occasional game of Hearthstone (PM me for user).

But when I one day get a new computer and this game has a GotY edition (I don’t like the “you have to buy races” scam) - that’ll end up being my last game ever.

I looks and feels right.

Fuggit Khan:

That looks amazing, thank you for sharing that Forgefire :hat off

And there are Chaos Dwarfs manning the Hellcannons! :hashut

Skink:

Total War: WARHAMMER - Goblin Great Shaman Reacts! - YouTube

"Dem Doom Divers are the best fliers anyway. Pathetic… Call that flying???"

:D:D:D

Grimstonefire:

Anyone else pre-ordered this?

If you preorder, or order within the first week after release you get a chaos playable option for free.

Really excited about this!!

Horace:

If you preorder, or order within the first week after release you get a chaos playable option for free.

Grimstonefire
Yep, greenmangaming have it for £30 including the DLC if you use the code watch25

Fuggit Khan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6IUbraF9Oo

"Dem Doom Divers are the best fliers anyway. Pathetic. You call that flying???"

Skink
Hahaha! That is how I imagine Fuggit talking...I would pay good money to learn to talk in that voice :)

Grimstonefire
Yep, greenmangaming have it for £30 including the DLC if you use the code watch25

Horace
Thank you for sharing this info...I'm gonna preorder it today! I'm very excited for this...it looks amazing :cheers

gIL^:

I preordered!

This message was automatically appended because it was too short.

Skink:

Preordered :wink:

This message was automatically appended because it was too short.

Admiral:

My current computer won’t handle it well and anyway after Rome 2 preordering I’d rather wait until more factions have been released and scoop them all up in some catch-all sales down the road. Plus most bugs will have been ironed out by then (it took half a year of post-release patching for Rome 2 to get playable). Fingers crossed for a polished product at launch this time. But I look forward to hear about your grand campaigns, lads!

Increased replayability: Apparently mod support will be in Warhammer Total War after all! :cheers

gIL^:

Reason why i preordered if your reading my top comment is that GW ARE supporting mods,another sense that GW is changing with the times, and the Chaos warrior dlc is included. We should reward good decision or they will never make them