[Archive] Warhammer Total War - the Old World lives :)

Dînadan:

I expect that they are gone forever, a relic of a past that could be seen as racist stereotyping. Very difficult to do actual human cultures sensitively in a fantasy setting, especially if they were previously mocked.

cornixt
Even more so if there isn�?Tt an additional similar culture portrayed positively; for example, pygmies could manage to slide if there was a major black human civilisation portrayed positively to act as a counterpoint. Although even then that other civilisation has to be well thought out/developed and not a token effort.

Presumably that why at some point in 40k Salamanders went from being just dark-skinned to being literally black with glowing red eyes. Which is kinda odd considering they are actually one of the nicer groups in the Imperium, so if anything are a more positive portrayal than others.

Admiral:

For the record, it’s not hard at all: Just study real history and folklore as a basis instead of saturday morning cartoon parodies; play up the heroic warrior aspects; portray humans in their full spectrum from corrupt to self-sacrificing and from dumb to ingenious instead of a one-sided characterization; add in suitable fantasy elements; and add in suitable colourful, exotic and outlandishly schocking traits to the modern eye (torture, flagellants, witch hunts and religious fanaticism in the case of the Empire). In other words, largely do as GW did with the Empire. The only difficult bit is reading up on the real-life basis and firing up the imagination, both of which by the way are standard procedures for fantasy since Tolkien.

And nothing produced by Games Workshop is gone more forever than Squats… :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyhow, a tankard raised to Creative Assembly’s faithful and marvellous depiction of Warhammer fantasy, and a toast to further expansions. The Old World does indeed live. Cheers!

Fuggit Khan:

Indeed, Skink.
If they do this, then one or more Hobgoblin khanate factions to Cathay's north would be a logical next step. Fuggit might be pleased. :)

Admiral
Heck yeah!
I'd love to see some Hobgoblin Khanates!  :)
And as for pygmies, I think that they can be done in a way that isn't too offensive in nature...I loved the pygmy headhunter mummies in The Return of the Mummy. They were lots of fun  :)

Admiral:

I cannot find the exact comment from a quick search, but a couple of years ago Firehammer pointed out that releasing Warhammer Total War right after transforming the tabletop game into Age of Sigmar was a marketing disaster. Be that as it may have been at that point of time (given AoS’ upsurge it’s no longer relevant): A friend of mine recently explained that the only reason we got Warhammer Total War in the first place, was because GW planned to transform into AoS. Otherwise they wouldn’t have leased out the IP in such a manner under the old strictures: Warhammer and Total War combined was back in the day a dream too good to be true, so to speak.

Which if correct, however way one wishes to view it, still comes off as both a financially clever decision and a splendid parting gift to fans of the Old World. :hat off

Oh, and notice that Creative Assembly are still on their home turf: Doing historical games! :wink:

Skink:

…I can´t get off this thing. It´s like a drug. I just ended Crone Hellebron´s campaign on very hard and am about to tackle Alarielle´s. Plus, CA announced that the next DLC is going to be a campaign pack (aka a new race), which most fans believe will be Dogs of War.

I need help.

Horace:

It’s really cool, I can’t see who else it could be besides DoW/Southern Realms. Surely Ogres and Chaos Dwarfs are for game 3 when the map expands eastwards.

Just need the races from the first game to get a little loving now, since WTW2 did such a better job with all the factions!

Skink:

Vampire Coast announced as the next playable race:

Total War: WARHAMMER 2 / Curse of the Vampire Coast Trailer - YouTube

They will also re-haul Vampire Count mechanincs for Mortal Empires, and add a new legendary lord (Lizardmen one for sure).

Horace:

Vampire Coast announced as the next playable race:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHh1TxryWlw

They will also re-haul Vampire Count mechanincs for Mortal Empires, and add a new legendary lord (Lizardmen one for sure).

Skink
I love how they are fleshing out the game with stuff like this. My money would be on Lokhir Fellheart going with the pirate theme

Skink:

My money would be on Lokhir Fellheart going with the pirate theme

Horace
There are only 2 FLC remaining, 1 DE and 1 Lizard... At this point I believe they are going to release Lokhir as well. However, this means that the next Lord pack will have 2 Lizardmen Lords (one free one $$$)... That would be wierd.

Grimstonefire:

That trailer is just insane! Gw really missing out by not making these an army right now

tjub:

That trailer is just insane!  Gw really missing out by not making these an army right now

Grimstonefire
Jupp! Agree, really cool concept they got there... Could easily be done in AoS as well! :)

Nicodemus:

WOW. That was an intense trailer. Very impressive.

Admiral:

Great trailer! Thanks for sharing! Vampire coast! Yarrrr! :yar

Rather fantastic to see all the new units. The old army list had exploding pony corpses and a few funky stuff, but the ship golems and giant crabs hold a lot more promise. Could indeed be done for AoS as an army as well.

Skink:

Actually, all the stuff shown (so far) has had rules.

All piratical units are inspired by 2005´s White Dwarf list for the vampire coast, here:

http://sgabetto.free.fr/Telechargements/War.CZombiePirates.pdf

Whereas Mournguls and Necrofex colossi were introduced in Monstrous Arcanum.

On the other hand, I really have no idea who the 4 Legendary Lords could possibly be.  I mean, Luthor Harkon is a given, ok, and I am pretty sure another one is going to be Count Noctilus from Dreadfleet. But the other 2? Luthor´s second in command, Captain Drekla, was (very briefly) mentioned in the End Times books, but other than that there are no other named characters from the Vampire Coast!

Herby:

The Zombie Pirates of the Vampire Coast.
I loved it at first glance. And phrases like “After all, everyone loves
Zombie Pirates, right?”  “EVERYTHING BEGINS WITH AN �?oR�?�”  “Gentleman Jenkins was said to have
voyaged the length (and depths) of the six
seas, thanks to his trusty compass.” convinced me immediately.

"With Hollywood
showing a resurgent (and perfectly
laudable) interest in all things piratical, we
thought the time was right to dredge up
this neglected element of the Warhammer
background. "

Oh yeah! Absolutely!
The Zombie Pirates in Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl were so cool. I missed them in every other part of the series. The fishhead mutants from part two and three were no comparison in my opinion. The ghostly crew of Captain Salazar was a step in the right direction again.

I was about to build the army like pictured in the manual. They look excellent. A joy to build for kitbashing fans like me.

But after the extermiantion of Warhammer Fantasy I was so shocked and lost all motivation so I sadly sold almost everything of my collection.

Oh excuse me. AOS lamentation again…

And to the topic Warhammer Total War. Not a substitude to real Warhammer for me.

Skink:

All 4 Vampire Coast Legendary Lords have been revelead here.

Now, Luthor Harkon and Count Noctilus were pretty much a given, and I am kind of sure that Cylostra Direfin is an original character (love the “summon undead Bretonnians” idea).

But Aranessa Saltspite left me kinda meh. I mean, the text explicitly says that she is not undead, and she commands units of living Sartosan Pirates. Yet,  she is, and I quote, “reluctantly sharing control of the denizens of the Vampire Coast”. This is totally against the character as far as I know, as she actively fought the Undead during the events of Dreadfleet, am I right?

Creative Assembly has always shown a deep knowledge & respect for Warhammer´s background until now. I reeeeeally hope that they give a good excuse for a living pirate captain to command hordes of undeads from Sartosa.

Gargolock:

Creative Assembly just announced a new DLC.

They are adding Ikit Claw and all of clan skyres stuff including warp nukes. They are also adding Tehenhauin and some new lizardmen. Not too mention they have said they will add Lord Kroak as a hero in campaign for all lizardmen lords. Skaven will also get an underempire mechanic.

They are calling it �?oThe Prophet and the Warlock�?�.

https://www.totalwar.com/games/warhammer-ii/prophet-and-the-warlock/

Skink:

Plus, they are adding a new lizzie lord as a free lc. I am putting my money on Gor’rok, starting in Itza, albeit Tetto’eko from Tlaxtlan is also a possibility. Someone hoped for Nakai, although i don’t see that happening…

Admiral:

Great stuff! :cheers

Skink:

Yo, everyone! As Warhammer Total War 3 approaches many people believe that Chaos Dwarfs are going to be one of the launch factions. Especially because the last DLC started filling the map around the Darklands, namely adding Nagashizzar and the Plain of Bones all the way east to Pigbarter.

Now, my question is: who do you think is going to be the faction leader, and who are going to be our 4 legendary lords? Also, where is their starting location going to be?

I think that Drazoath is a given, starting either in the Black Fortress or in the Old World (because of Tamurkhan), with Cinderbreath as an unlockable mount and plenty of buffs for Infernal Guards. Probably he is going to have some sort of diplomatic penalty with other Chaos Dwarfs.

Astragoth is another easy one! But I am not sure whether he is going to start in Zharr Naggrund, for even though he is the High priest of Hashut his fluff states that his power in the citadel is waning. Which brings me to…

Gorth the Cruel. Or Zhatan the Black, either one (I believe Zhatan, having 3 casters would be too much). Either starting in Zharr Naggrund or in some far-flung place in search for more power. Whatever the case, if Gorth is going to be included I hope that they flesh his background out, and give him a bloody lammasu.

Don’t know about the fourth one. Could be Zhatan/Gorth (if they are both going to be included), or Rykarth. Maybe even Shar’Tor. Personally I would really like to see Shar’Tor as a playable character, for a towering Bull Centaur Lord would be too awesome to pass!

Regarding mechanics I believe we are going to see some sort of slave-based economy akin to the Dark Elves, and maybe a loyalty system? Like for the Dark Elves/Skaven/Vampire Coast.

What do you guys think?