[Archive] Warmachine - Does anyone here play?

G.2:

Hey All

I have been holding back buying any Warmachine stuff from Privateer Press, but I finally buckled and bought a couple of heavy Khador Warjacks from eBay. I really love the game setting and I have heard (and read) lots of good things about this game.

So…my question is…

Does anyone here, play Warmachine (or even Hordes), and do you like it?

The Snowman:

As always, I have bought some Warmachine Khador because I like the models. Have yet to play a game but my hobby is more to model and paint then occasionally play. We have a growing Warmachine/Hordes and Malifaux scene around here. Fantasy is still going as well. The new stuff is to mix it up with smaller forces (hasn’t translated to quicker games so much) for people to paint.

(Have a spare pButcher caster for sale on WAU as well, to get you started… if you can find it)

grimsnikk:

Yeah, I do. I’ve gotten into it more as a replacement for 40k than fantasy. I’m playing retribution, and they are some of the coolest elves I’ve ever seen. It a pretty fun game. There are tight scenarios, excellent tournament settings, and games only take about an hour even at full points. It’s really refreshing to be able to hobby on 10-25 miniatures instead of cranking out hundreds for an army.

G.2:

I've gotten into it more as a replacement for 40k than fantasy.

grimsnikk
Yes, I have heard that is common. Which is good, because I don't want to replace fantasy, I just want to add more games (and minis) into my life.
I'm playing retribution, and they are some of the coolest elves I've ever seen.

grimsnikk
They are indeed very cool. I have decided on Khador and maybe (in the future) Mercs.
It a pretty fun game. There are tight scenarios, excellent tournament settings, and games only take about an hour even at full points.

grimsnikk
Great, great and great. These are exactly the praises I was looking for. Thank you for confirming the good rumours I have been reading about.
It's really refreshing to be able to hobby on 10-25 miniatures instead of cranking out hundreds for an army.

grimsnikk
Yes, I agree. Even though I like to look at large armies, I personally don't want to build large armies, so being able to play with only a few minis/figs, sounds great.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on Warmachine. I can't wait to get my models (some eBay purchases) and start painting - keep your eyes peeled for some G2 Khador stuff.

vulcanologist:

sounds very interesting. never heard of it before… think i might have to check out some reviews!

G.2:

sounds very interesting. never heard of it before... think i might have to check out some reviews!

vulcanologist
The company which makes Warmachine also has a magazine (think of it like White Dwarf) called 'No Quarter', and the articles are great, the artwork is absolutely beauutiful, but best of all the painting tips and tutorials leave White Dwarf for dead. Overall the whole pacakge is awesome, definately check it out.

Galladorn:

I collected White Dwarf since issue #107 (Feeling old now). I stopped my subscription for the first time in many, many years. No Quarter might just be what I’m looking for.

G.2:

I collected White Dwarf since issue #107 (Feeling old now).  I stopped my subscription for the first time in many, many years.  No Quarter might just be what I'm looking for.

Galladorn
No Quarter is for Warmachine and Hordes only, it is not a Warhammer magazine. If it is a warhammer magazine as a replacement for White Dwarf, I have heard good things about "unseen lerker", a few of the warhammer podcasts I listen to, are quite impressed with it. Try Unseen Lerker Website

But I do really like the painting and modelling articles in No Quarter, as I can easily apply them to my warhammer minis.