[Archive] WFRP **This message was automatically appended because it was too short.**

Willmark:

Anyone players. Back in the day I played tons of 1st edition WFRP. I have been collecting the 2e books steadily as I am not a big fan of the 3rd edition rules.

Anyone else?

Tarrakk Blackhand:

I don’t play it. Is it like D&D, but with Warhammer characters?

Ancient History:

Not quite. WFRP has, throughout three editions, maintained a distinctive system from D&D, though on the surface there are many similarities. I used to play but I’ve been busy lately.

Sousunou:

I have played it in the past with Hashut’s Blessing but since he is in another county for university it is somewhat difficult to play it. Good fun though.

:cheers:

Zanko:

Once I played WFRP but I was “only” a player and I hadn’t owned any rulebooks for myself. Therefore I have no idea which edition it was …

Nowadays we only play selfmade rules in our own “world” - though WFRP as a setting was o.k.!

:hashut

Willmark:

Once I played WFRP but I was "only" a player and I hadn't owned any rulebooks for myself. Therefore I have no idea which edition it was ...

Nowadays we only play selfmade rules in our own "world" - though WFRP as a setting was o.k.!

:hashut

Zanko
That's one thought I've had use the 2e WFRP rules but place them in a different world/setting.

Khan!:

I played the old first or second edition WHFRP on only one occasion. Everything was random, and I ended up being a human peddler with a cart, a donkey, various pieces of coloured fabric, and I think sewing equipment(?).

I don’t recall who the other characters in the group were, but in the course of the session I attempted to sell my fabric and needles to every NPC we encountered.

Ultimately I think we were all killed by beastmen, probably because I was a peddler and the other characters were equally random things. The implication was that our characters would be chaos-ified, I think, but we never played a second session. It’s too bad, because I was kind of looking forward to selling EVIL sewing needles.

I understand that the new WHFRP is about being ‘heroic,’ and has character classes like “Bright Wizard” and “High Elf Shadow Warrior” and that there are cards and special power-moves and things, like DnD 4th edition. Which is not nearly as cool as being a peddler, imo.

Tarrakk Blackhand:

You know Kahn, that sounds like an interesting idea fr a D&D campaign…turn all the players into a cloth and then someone sews them together.

Charoar:

My group played for a couple of months and had a lot of fun. Then we decided to take a break but i think people are starting to get the itch to play again. I think we’re just gunna pick up where we left off. Pretty sure we used second edition rules because they were very similar but some problems were fixed. The DM used a first edition campaign though and it worked pretty well. The thing about this game is that the player characters can get completely wrecked or suffer permanent wounds very easily whereas DnD offers a little more protection. I think that makes it more fun.

Khan!:

You know Kahn, that sounds like an interesting idea fr a D&D campaign....turn all the players into a cloth and then someone sews them together.

Tarrakk Blackhand
That's very meta! Hm, do the players get sewn together as 'cloth people,' or are they turned into pieces of cloth which are sewn together to make a blanket or something...?

@ Charoar: yeah, it seems to be a theme in GW's earlier games - WHFRP, and Warhammer Quest too for instance - that players should be in constant and dire peril. Lots of instant deaths and crippling injuries. Even the rules for Mighty Empires in the 80s that allowed for crossover between WH and ME had a detailed and brutal set of permanent injury rules for characters.

Makes me think of the Lovecraftian roleplay settings too - the one who wins is the one who goes crazy last (death notwithstanding).

Thommy H:

WFRP was always know for being one of the grittier RPGs around, Khan - hence PCs rolling up careers like cloth merchant or whatever and then being chucked against beastmen. Never played it myself, but I know what it’s all about.

Khan!:

WFRP was always know for being one of the grittier RPGs around, Khan - hence PCs rolling up careers like cloth merchant or whatever and then being chucked against beastmen. Never played it myself, but I know what it's all about.

Thommy H
Definitely, yeah. I wasn't trying to be critical. It was a fun session - like I said, I gleefully tried to sell people trinkets at every opportunity.

I and the people I have played roleplaying games with tend to see them as opportunities to be as awesome/hilarious/nerdy/absurd as possible.

So, for instance, the last game of WHQ we played the wizard just cast Pit of Despair over and over again because he could (which destroyed one of our objectives by accident, iirc) and the last proper DnD game I participated in I played as an Ogre who wanted to be a pirate (Errol Flynn style), so I was swashbuckling off chandeliers and flirting outrageously with maidens (before eating them).

Hashut’s Blessing:

As Sousunou has said, I’ve played it and run it. I tried to run it at uni, but some crap went down and the game got ruined because of a selfish, childish and offencive player who was solely trying to spoil it for everyone. Regardless, I found 2nd edition fun, never played 1st edition and see no need to get 3rd edition because I have plenty of stuff for second. Personally, I’d prefer to be a player than a GM, but I think I’m currently lacking the confidence :wink:

Ronshank:

I was lucky enough to play with one of the few people in Aus with an English first edition it was fun because it was random but, to put it gently it was played with Lay people who could stomach this version of “nerd wars”. So needless to say our DM was always left a little annoyed that we always did the opposite of all the maticulously planned adventures he came up with. Namely a kill and loot the corpses version rather than his talk to people version. Though to be fair one was against a Neromancer.

Give it a whirl it’s great fun if you don’t take it too seriously and the DM is good. I miss being able to play it now.

Willmark:

I played the old first or second edition WHFRP on only one occasion.  Everything was random, and I ended up being a human peddler with a cart, a donkey, various pieces of coloured fabric, and I think sewing equipment(?).  

I don't recall who the other characters in the group were, but in the course of the session I attempted to sell my fabric and needles to every NPC we encountered.

Ultimately I think we were all killed by beastmen, probably because I was a peddler and the other characters were equally random things.  The implication was that our characters would be chaos-ified, I think, but we never played a second session.  It's too bad, because I was kind of looking forward to selling EVIL sewing needles.

I understand that the new WHFRP is about being 'heroic,' and has character classes like "Bright Wizard" and "High Elf Shadow Warrior" and that there are cards and special power-moves and things, like DnD 4th edition.  Which is not nearly as cool as being a peddler, imo.

Khan!
First Edition suffered a lot of flaws but it was still awesome none-the-less. My first characters were Bounty Hunter and Rat Catcher. Rat cather was fun because of the initial trappings: d6 rats on a stick and a small but vicious dog! You are right however some classes were much more useful then others.

I think the 2e rules are so much better then the 3rd Edition ones and taking the ruleset and divesting it from the setting has merit. It's a good ruleset I think I'd simply rather use my own sandbox for setting.

I like GWs world but for WFRP it seems a bit constricting to me.

HB- practice, practice, practice. I've DMed 1st and 2nd edition D&D for years now and it just takes repetition.

slev:

I have pretty-much everything for the first two editions. I’ll not buy 3rd edition until they allow us to play without mandatory use of the play-aid cards and the like (which don’t suite the environs in which I tend to play).

I’ve GMed 1st ed at a number of big conventions for Hogshead back in the day, and I contributed several articles to Warpstone over the years, even being published in their “corrupting Influence” best-of booklet.