[Archive] wh:sexist

zorn sabretooth:

why are therev hardly any female models in the warhammer range the only ones are wycths lamhia demons (purely to show of flesh) dwarfs(one!) wood elves (they suck)

Willmark:

Because 99.9999% of the hobby is male???!

Pyro Stick:

I think we had this topic before, or maybe it was why arent any of them black, or maybe it was both but it went a bit too far because of people with too strong opinions and it got locked if i remember correctly. I dont think warhammer is sexist. Its just that males are the ones that typically go to war and i dont think all female units would sell better than male units of the same type in a game that is all about fantasy battles.

Willmark:

Or quite possibly GW doesnt worry about rampant “political correctness”…

GRNDL:

Don’t forget the Lustrian Amazons… Brettonian wizards.

I think its largely to do with the fact that it is a medieval game and on our planet, the medieval periods were dominated by men on the battlefield. Females, when they got to the battlefield, were either leaders or support.

Some races, such as Orks/Goblins and Lizardmen, really don’t have any gender, either reproducing asexually, or through more diverse means.

zorn sabretooth:

Zorn don’t triple post-Willmark

im not trying to be pc i’m just saying that in games such as wfrp it is hard to get models that represent female characters unlike in other games such as sisters of battle or house escher

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think its largely to do with the fact that it is a medieval game and on our planet, the medieval periods were dominated by men on the battlefield. Females, when they got to the battlefield, were either leaders or support.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

good point

yes but some are black such as skeggi norse and if you think about it amazons should be black

Ishkur Cinderhat:

Well Warhammer is set in a kinda medieval world - and in medieval times there were not an awful lot of women on the battlefield. You get a lot more female models in the “urban” settings of Mordheim, you see.

Thommy H:

Also, Games Workshop’s sculptors are, as a rule, pretty terrible at sculpting women that don’t look like the kind of transvestites you’d see in bad TV comedies.

Sojourn:

hey, I’d probably not have resisted so much had there been more female models…

I think it’s not so much that there aren’t female models because “they didn’t battle back in the day” that bothers me (and ask Xander, I’m no feminist or anything) but it’s the slaanesh models that are barely clad… I love the new daemonette models Xander picked up, but it’s just weird when they have no clothes. ok, well I find it weird when they have no clothes, or clothes EVERYWHERE except on a breast or something… then I’m like "wha!?"

I like the wood elves, and I love any female ranger-like model (more from Reaper minis, etc). I guess I still daydream about powerful women soldiers that are pretty and feminine. DON’T CRUSH MY DREAMS! :wink:

al-hashut:

surely they’re aztecian/peruvian (not sure of the term, i was going to say hispanic but, i assume, that has spanish). Anyway aren’t they in the fluff shipwrecked Norse?

I think the lack of ethnic diversity is that, aside from Araby, the Human powers are western, medievil (brets)-rennaissance(Empire/Tilea/Est)-archaic (albion). Only cathay/Nippon really represent a non white imperial power, and getting enough figures for a tournament list of them requires some serious conversion work and a vivid imagination. Therefore, if i wanted an army themed around, say Great Zimbabwe, rather than choose human figures i’m far more likely to choose either savage orcs or southlands beastmen.

I’ve got to agree with Pyro Stick that, if the models were around to support those themes, then we’d see more of them, however, it’s hardly a money spinner.

Steven:

And of course all the Dark Elf female figures.  Sorceress, Witch Elves, I think the hydra tamers are female.  I’ve only seen the shots of the hydra from one angle and the faces of those tamer models are sort of androgynous.

My ex used to play High Elves and she was going to buy a ton of maiden guard and lop off their heads (that part I liked…good elves should be dead elves, evil elves are moderately acceptable :hashut) and convert her whole army to a female army.  She never finished it (as far as I know) but I thought it was sort of a cool idea.

That said, most dwarves could be female.  You never know with all that beard.

Thommy H:

Actually, female Dwarfs in Warhammer don’t have beards:

Ingrown:

Actually, female Dwarfs in Warhammer don't have beards:

Thommy H
Perhaps she's just wipped out the gillette for a pre-battle trim.

On the sexist/racist thing, most of the sculptors are white blokes, so the majority of humans they sculpt are bound to be also. Having said that the ethnicity of your models is down to your painting.

wallacer:

If it really bothers you that much (and for the life of me I can’t understand why it would) then just buy non-GW figures.

There are plenty of other companies that make female figures, and many of them are of a very high quality.

Ishkur Cinderhat:

I love the new daemonette models Xander picked up, but it's just weird when they have no clothes. ok, well *I* find it weird when they have no clothes, or clothes EVERYWHERE except on a breast or something... then I'm like "wha!?"

Sojourn
Indeed? I find the new daemonettes to be quite prudish, actually. I mean the last generation of them was practically nude and had much more daemonic appearance. The new models are basically merely punks in weird leather costumes. ;)

I liked the daemonette models so much that I even put one on the base of my general: ^^

Thommy H:

Now that’s sexist.

AGPO:

It might be just me but the fantasy genre has always contained, ahem, women with interesting taste in clothing. Pretty much all the films, novels andartwork pre-2000 contained them in some way. Yes I find it irritating that nearly every female model has to be barely clothed and I’d love to see some new models which actually resembled female warriors as oposed to strippers. It 'aint gonna happen. The current range sell too well to certain hobbyists whos chances of getting near a woman (naked or otherwise) are limited to the internet and certain video stores. The new wood elves and the Eldar and Sisters of Battle in 40k are steps in the right direction

Kera foehunter:

well if you like female dwarf play warlords !!!

Being the 1% i don’t see any sexes with the bare breasted women models. How do you think they get teen age boys to play!!!

Thommy H:

Yes I find it irritating that nearly every female model has to be barely clothed
To be fair, a lot of male models are just as naked. There's kind of a double standard about nudity in our culture: if a man is naked, it's not sexual, but if a woman is naked, it's sexist titillation for adolescents. The Bloodletters are more naked than the Daemonettes and Chaos Marauders wear a loincloth and a few straps. There are other examples, I'm sure, but they don't seem offensive because you're a man from a patriarchal culture which sees the female body as a deviation from the norm.

/soapbox

AGPO:

It seems to me that the bloodletters and all the other daemons seem pretty A-sexual, and the marrauders are clothed below the waist. I agree with your cultural point but I’m struggling to think of a male model along the lines of a witch elf say