[Archive] wh:sexist

zorn sabretooth:

Look, I'm not debating the ratios of male to female models - in the human races, at least, there is historical precedent and the non-human races usually have good reasons to not have women around. The only thing I'm taking issue with is that what few women there are in Warhammer are depicted in a way that their sexuality is someting to be reviled, or are defined solely by their relationship towards males.
that's what i've been trying to say:hat off

Kera foehunter:

It Doesn"t even matter guys .

cornixt:

Seems odd how you'd default all the species with no obvious genders as males, when biologically they would actually be females.
Me? Do you ever refer to Orcs as "she" or "it"? No, you treat them as males. Same with Beastmen and Lizardmen. Everything else is clearly male or female.

Thommy H
I wasn't replying to anyone in particular, I was using the royal "you".
And of course, Lizardmen and Beastmen are just given those names by the humans, who we've already established are rather sexist.  Not sure how you can sex a rat/lizard, let alone a rat/lizard model.  As for those who can't actually sexually reproduce at all (undead, daemons)...
It seems odd to suggest that Warhammer should artificially boost the number of women on the battlefield when it looks like they have the balance exactly correct already.
Dragons, elves and magic is fine, but having women fighting would be a step too far in the direction of unrealistic?
It all depends on which aspects of reality you find most important :)

Thommy H:

Not sure how you can sex a rat/lizard
Uh...well people do... they have two genders, like us, and zoologists and zoo-keepers and so on have to find out which is which.

Anyway, whatever. I just find the unfortunate implications of the female models in Warhammer sexist.

zorn sabretooth:

nah it doesn’t really matter does it?

Hashut’s Blessing:

Okay, a lot of people are saying this doesn’t matter. This thread shall be closed, a lot of points have been madre, but it is obvious thwere shall remain a lack of agreement, which would be fine if there were an agreement to disagree. That’s a lot of the word agree.

Anyway, my points are:

Daemonettes appear to be the gender that the neholder prefers, thusly for males (the large portion of armies and players alike), they shall appear female. This is how it has always been.

The lizardmen and skaven are not shown as male or female because the modellers didn;t wish to sculpt reproductive organs onto the miniatures, for obvious reasons. To the average person, you cannot discern the sex of a lizard or rat without this sight, to the best of my knowledge.

Lizardmen and ratmen because they are named by the wempire, which as stated is sexist-esque at least. There is also the fact that humans are referred to as the race of man. It is a follow up of the English language there.

Not all females are depicted as being sex-objects. There are wood elf warriors, dark elf warriors, possibly some high elf warriors, there are the damsels of Brettonia, the Warrior Queen of Kislev, the Dwarf Queen Helga etc etc.

At the end of the day, this is FANTASY. Fantasy means it is what you wish it to be. The sculptors wished this world to vaguely represent our own in terms of culture. As for the lack of civilian female models, there are fewer male civilian models than female. The clothing item continues this FANTASY idea. It’s mostly men scultping, the majority of men are heterosexual to my kowledge, thusly, the idea of a scantily clad woman is a fantasy…

There are possible elements of sexism. On the same note, it may be that people read too much into it. It is the way of most things. Topic closed for civility’s sake.