[Archive] what color to paint greenskins

that guy:

Hi all,

I’m in the beginning stages of a new army and even though I’m a long way from painting it I’m trying to give the colors and methods some thought before I get that far.

First of all you should know that I’m not that good of a painter.I have some experiance with skaven and vampires and even though I learned a lot wiht those models I have a long way to go.I painted those models with Testors and finally broke down and bought some Vallejo model colors for this project.

The army in question is going to use warriors of chaos rule book but visually will be a mix of black orcs and chaos dwarfs.

The part I’m not sure about is how to approach the skin of my black orc warboss/ chaos lord. Initially I had thought I really wanted to play up the BLACK part of the black orc and start with a black base coat and work my way up to gray hi-lites with hints of blue along the way.But then I thought I want there to be a noticeable shade of green in there.And then true confusion set in when I saw a really groovy lookin purplish orc shaman.

I do know all the clothing and armor on the orcs are gonna be earthy shades of browns and greys .(The dwarfs may be a different story I’ll cross that bridge when I get there)

Anybody have any suggestions,pictures,gallery’s, random thoughts to toss my way for inspiration?

Heres a link to my photobucket album so you can see how hit and miss my painting is

Photobucket

Heres the Warboss/Chaos Lord WIP that has me confused.He’s standing next to a clanrat for a sense of scale

heres my hellcannons WIP

the furnace and bellows

nitroglysarine:

They look awesome. I do like the hulk looking lord.

As for how to paint green, i’ll have to pass on that :wink:

Da Crusha:

pretty awesome buff guy, and really nice greenstuff work. not sure about the colors but if you like the way GW does it they have an orc painting tutorial.

Torped:

:o Wow, great work so far. I can only parrot what has been said, if you like GW’s green, they have a tutorial. I use a lime green house paint, which is mixed with s cherry oak woodstain to make them look darker.

Khan!:

Good move on the Vallejos for sure!  Your conversions look great so far, and your painting - while not perfect - is definitely not bad by any measure.  So don’t worry about that too much, just practice!

I do my orcs with a basecoat of GW’s Catachan Green, and I highlight by blending in yellow.  Goblins end up more yellow than orcs, black orcs end up least yellow of all!

Here’s an example of my blorcs:

I can’t tell for sure from Vallejo’s website if they have a colour similar to Catachan Green, but I would be surprised if they didn’t.  It’s a deep ‘camo’ kind of shade.  Something in their panzer aces range would probably work.

If you want to go darker with the black orcs, you could just mix black or blue with whatever green you like for the basecoat.  I’ve never done anything as fancy as purplish orc skin, but that sounds pretty cool!  I think you would do well to just mix purple in with the green in the same way as the black or blue.

I eagerly anticipate more of your stuff! The Chaos Lord looks terrific, especially.

GRNDL:

I like my orcs/orks/gobboes to be greeny green

Orkhide Green Foundation

Green Ink/Wash

Knarloc Base

Goblin Green Highlights, perhaps with a smidgen of yellow.

For a more pale complexion, I use bleached bone instead of yellow.

that guy:

All very helpful,inspiring and ego swelling inputs.Keep it coming.

I’ll do updates when I can but progress will be slow as I have a new baby in the house and my 3 year old is a borderline psycopath.ANd I’m intentionally moving slow on this project because I have a tendancy to rush through things once they get rolling,and I really do want to make this army the best I can.

This link should take you to the thread that has the purpley orc that really threw a wrench in what I thought I wanted out of orc skin.

http://z3.invisionfree.com/Orc__Goblin_Warpath/index.php?showtopic=27714

I’m intentionally avoiding certain colors because I think my fluff is gonna center a lot in the chaos wastes and I dont want to give the impression of favoring any of the chaos gods.i.e. no red skin because of khorne,no intense purples on account of slaneesh,blue is out for tzeentch and green is gonna be approached with caution.Obviously thats a guideline I’m willing to deviate from if something truly awesome would be the result.

@torped:Lime green and cherry oak?? pictures please

tjub:

Looks cool! :slight_smile:

A link to my BO, they dont show much skin though… http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=2473&pid=116268#pid116268

ingtar_shinowa:

I use goblin green with green ink and then a litttle highlighting.

nitroglysarine:

When i get around to painting some greenies, I’m planning to try a few colour schemes like browns, greens, greys etc… to see if one works well.

I’m edging toward a midnight blue that would look down right odd tbh, but it might be cool for ‘black’ orcs.

Grimstonefire:

Imo you should paint it black shaded up to a dull grey, then do a really watered down coat of dark angels green over it.

Perhaps best to try it out on a scrap first.

that guy:

ok so this guy is gonna be done in the sculpting portion soon and I figure I might as well make a thread specific for my developing army.

Though I’m not sure if it should go in the Chaos dwarfs army blog section or in the non CD section.Its gonna have some dwarfs in it eventually but its using Warriors of Chaos rules and gonna be running squigs and goblins and orcs as the bulk of the army.

Does that count as CD or not since I’ve got a just a few units and a character or two of the angry dwarf variety???

that guy:

This guy has arms now if anyone wants to check it out I went ahead and started an army blog

http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=8794