[Archive] What is a better buy for beefing up your army?

Tarrakk Blackhand:

I’ve almost finished converting my Battle For Skull Pass set into a Chaos Dwarf army. I have @ 2 pieces left.

I am considering buying a Battalion box and I’m just wondering what Battalion box you would buy next in order to increase your numbers? (Don’t think value for price, just power to army.)

Dwarfs :                                         Conversion Possiblities

1 Dwarf Cannon/Organ Gun              1 Death Rocket/Earth Shaker

24 Warriors                                   24 Warriors

16 Thunderers/Quarrellers                16 Blunderbuss

Orcs and Goblins :                          Conversion Possibilities

1 Orc Boar Chariot                            2 Orcs, 2 BS, ES/DR Parts

20 Orcs                                          20 Black Orcs/Arrer Boys/Orcs

20 Night Goblins                               20 Hob Goblins

10 Forrest Spider Riders                    10 Wolf Riders (Wolves needed)

Bolg:

Well I voted for Orcs, and I mean Black orcs or Big uns. Got a unit of black orcs myself, took some battles but now it does wonders on the table. thinking of putting a unit of big uns next to it. that is a lot of S4/S5 attacks. (and the Black orcs should cancel most of the animosity).

Thorne:

Old school Em4 grenader orc archers orc swordsmen orc spearment dwarf axemen dwarf spearmen and dwarf crossbowmen models for the win :wink: Oh do they need ot be gamesworkshop models ?

Loki:

I have to say the dwarfs you get alot of stuff in there that can be converted to cool CDs :slight_smile:

Zanko:

I agree with Thorne! His proposal is the best option! :cheers

- GW Ork Batallion Box - 90 US Dollar for 1 Orc Boar Chariot, 20 Orcs, 20 Night Goblins and 10 Forrest Spider Riders = 51 minis
- Em-4 Grenadier minis - 30 US Dollar for 1 big Orc Chariot (4 Wolves), 50 Orcs with Sword, Spear or Bow (like required) = 51 minis

Imo the price for the Em-4 minis are unbeatable (0,20 GBP per mini - 13 GBP for the metal Chariot)!

The Orcs look quite good (I like them a lot - look at my army :D) and they are compatible (perhaps a bit smaller than the newer GW ones) to the GW Orcs.

The only problem is when you are GW tournament player … :wink:

:hashut

PS: I just saw the 50 model pack only costs 7,50 GBP!

PPS: The dwarfs are as cheap as the Orcs (I also like them a lot) but the look very different in comparison to the GW ones!

Tarrakk Blackhand:

@ Thorne - yeah, I’m trying to stick with what GW has currently for the Battalion boxes as I will be converting either one or the other. I also want to use current “Off the Shelf” models as they are easier for me to access.

I listed what was in the boxes in my first post. These would be converted to Ravening Hordes accepted Chaos Dwarf units, like “Blunderbuss”, for example. Dwarf Crossbows and Spears are not applicible for a CD army.

As far as “Other” is concerned, these would be individual box sets, like “Dwarf Thunderers”, for example.

Maybe my point was lost. I’m not too worried about the price of sets, it’s more of the “Game Legality” (Chaos Dwarf Spearmen - Not on list) and the concept of what’s more powerfull or versitile to use from the RH list. (Hobgoblins suffering from animosity units vs limited movement Chaos Dwarf units)

Thorne:

@ Thorne - yeah, I'm trying to stick with what GW has currently for the Battalion boxes as I will be converting either one or the other. I also want to use current "Off the Shelf" models as they are easier for me to access.

I listed what was in the boxes in my first post. These would be converted to Ravening Hordes accepted Chaos Dwarf units, like "Blunderbuss", for example. Dwarf Crossbows and Spears are not applicible for a CD army.

Tarrakk Blackhand
I used them in a games workshop store today, The mannager was the one who pointed out strangely that they were out of production games workshop models that pre dated anything they had in stock and its amazing what you can do with Silver Tube Spacers Findings and some greenstuff, Strange as I was expected to get lynched when i took the models from my carrybox. ;)

As for going with Tourney legal i think id go with individual boxes, That way you can better tailor your force. you always end up with things that your not likely to use.

Guardian_A:

The Battle for Skull Pass box is by far the best value for fleshing out a CD army.  

I’d say, go with the Dwarf Batallion box if you are choosing between that, the O&G box or individual boxes.  Everything in the Dwarf box is easy to convert for your army.

Personally, I dont care for how the Forest Goblins look as Wolf Riders, and the Chariot is close to useless.  After picking up a couple of BfSP boxes, use individual boxes to finish filling your Hobogblin needs.

Willmark:

The Battle for Skull Pass box is by far the best value for fleshing out a CD army.  

Guardian_A
So much so I bought two, best value right now for a Chaos Dwarf general.

Ishkur Cinderhat:

I’d go with the Dwarfs, I seriously doubt that the Orc Boys can be converted into Black Orcs. Also the plastic BO models are just too cool to miss out.

Warhammerman:

Dwarf battalion it is seriously awesome. But, BFSP is epic for its cost and the many units that can be made out of it.

Tarrakk Blackhand:

So far “Dwarfs” are in the lead with “Buy Boxes Seporatly” a close second and Orcs in dead last place. :smiley:

Hazkar:

i would say go for the dwarf box

you can convert everything in that box

with the orc box you have to buy extra wolfes(and the forest gobbos make new cool looking wolf riders btw)

convert the dwarfs and buy some orc units,thats the best way imo

Thorne:

and the forest gobbos make new cool looking wolf riders btw

Hazkar
Hobgoblin lava spider rider's