[Archive] What is in a name?

Will la tete rouge:

How do you guys come up with names for your characters etc? I have some fluff in my head for my army but needing some names now to start getting it straight etc.

I remember when I started with Ogres, the Ogre Stronghold used to have a name generator - that was cool.

What do people use on here?

Grimstonefire:

I normally just make up orc sounding names then fiddle with either end to make it sound more like the places on the dark lands map.

If you want somewhere to start for more sophisticated names you should google babylonian kings/ myths etc.

Thommy H:

Chaos Dwarf Name Generator

Zuh-Khinie:

I came up with the name of my general while watching the Muppet Show…

I’m not a big fan of taking the entire hobby too serious (which is probably why I’m such a fan of games like bloodbowl).

Goltor Lintrepide:

The dark lands are equivalent to our west asia, so what I do is I think of a badass name in english like «the bearded demon» or anything like that and translate it in arabic, turkish, persian, kazakh, etc until it sounds cool and chaos-dwarfish enough in one of those langages.

Also, the Chaos Dwarf Name Generator is ok too.

Hashut’s Blessing:

I just smoosh sounds together until it pleases me. Hence a lieutenant called Mrythark.

Grimbold Blackhammer:

Grimbold Blackhammer! The Hunter of the East. The Conquorer of the West. The Hero of the North. And the Tyrant of the South. Guardian of the Gate of Black Souls. Keeper of the Black Anvil. And Champion of the Challenge of the Seven Feasts!

That’s how I roll! :hashut

Ugly Green Trog:

Gulkhar the Soulchainer is my sorcerer prophet he is supposed to be Drazhoaths nephew.

Vogon:

My sorcerer prophet is called Ouragos Ninurta

Ninurta is the name of a Babylonian warrior god and an Ouragos was a War leader who stood at the back of Phalanx making sure that they were operating effectively.

The Castellan is Enomotarch Tyrtaeus. The Enomotarch was a commanding officer who was in the front rank.

I basically harvested Babylonian myths for all the names, I’ll get around to posting my army’s background at some point :slight_smile:

Cheers

Vogon

Will la tete rouge:

My sorcerer prophet is called Ouragos Ninurta

Ninurta is the name of a Babylonian warrior god and an Ouragos was a War leader who stood at the back of  Phalanx making sure that they were operating effectively.

The Castellan is Enomotarch Tyrtaeus. The Enomotarch was a commanding officer who was in the front rank.

I basically harvested Babylonian myths for all the names, I'll get around to posting my army's background at some point :)

Cheers

Vogon

Vogon
Some great ideas thanks guys, Im now off to do my fluff and start my blog. Thanx guys!

Grimbold Blackhammer:

Another option (that I often use for my MMORPG characters) is to look up baby names and their definitions. Don’t restrict your search to boring Anglo-Saxon names but check out a variety of what’s out there.