[Archive] What is the most intimidate-looking army to face?

Admiral:

On tournaments, I lose almost every game. Even so, the times when I’ve fielded my brother’s Bretonnian host at tournaments, my opponents have not rarely been pretty intimidated by it. The sight of tightly packed lance formations have a psychological impact on some players that vastly outstrips their meagre tabletop performance.

As such, we’ve discussed how a Bretonnian all-knight cavalry spam army list (almost only Errants) would do in games. If nothing else, seeing the face on your opponent as you deploy a thick wall of 120+ knights (if I remember correctly) all over your zone would be worth it. :wink:

What do you think is the most intimidate-looking army to face?

Zuh-Khinie:

I played brets for quite a score of years, and rarely needed to fear any other army on the board. However (and weirdly so), every time I field my CD, I always have a hard time against chaos warriors. A lord on juggernaught with matching unit always get the best of me…

thewizardofoz:

I played brets for quite a score of years, and rarely needed to fear any other army on the board. However (and weirdly so), every time I field my CD, I always have a hard time against chaos warriors. A lord on juggernaught with matching unit always get the best of me...

Zuh-Khinie
I second that, although I pretty much always lose at tournament gaes when I get drawn against WOC and I see a line of juggernaughts and a daemon Prince I feel intimidated. The problem is, they move so quickly and in a 1 rank line that our shooting has little impact. Unlike Ogres or other fast moving armies, jugs don't really care whether you charge them or they charge you (yes if they charge plus 1 strength etc but they still dish out a beating). The only thing that does help is lore of metal but unless you know you are facing WOC, metal isn't normally the first lore you pack for all-comers list as there are so many amries it is poor against.

In answer to your question - WOC intimidate me most - Best core troops in the game, powerful lords and heroes, amazing shock troops and the added bonus of monsters. IMO probably the best army all round after CDs of course.

Skink:

I hate elves. Of any flavour. The reason for this can be found in the O&G army book, under the fear of elves rule.

MadHatter:

The regular top 3 at our tournaments are Warriors of Chaos, High Elves and Bretonnia. I still haven’t beat the Brets but only played them once.

Bretonnia can be managed by outmaneuvering them and using Khans and carpet-sorc to lock down directional reforms. Ashstorm can easily mess up their battleplan.

The Magmacannon manages juggernauts, out heavy artillery makes short work of their monsters. Deathstars and unkillables are the ashstorm-lockdown targets.

High Elves is about identifying where the Banner of the World-Dragon is and getting around their wardsaves. Blunderbusses, Magmacannon and deathshriekers dish out alot of hits and thats whats needed here. Khans for magehunting, perhaps trickstershard baletaurus-sorc could work…

Most intimidating I’ve played is Daemons of Chaos, seeing dual Keepers for the first time gave me slight shiver :slight_smile:

BABIS:

imho the worst matches are vampire counts, dark elves and woc…

Vantraxx the Thrice Cursed:

Fear the Warriors of Chaos! Everyone freaks when they see an optimized list.

but in all seriousness VC scream spam with maxed Terrorghiests and summoned Terrorghiests… Even makes my Chaos Lords uneasy…

Yodrin:

Played Brets twice, lost both…;(. They seem to give us a hard match up, and its always intimidating to face WoC

Grimbold Blackhammer:

I suppose everyone has their Achille’s heel so to speak. I’ve no respect for Brettonia - I’ve not faced them many times but I’ve never lost to them. Ogres on the other hand scare me silly.