[Archive] What story is behinde this old 3rd ed mini?

clam:

In my effort to build a complete collection of Citadel/Marauder Chaos Dwarf miniatures, I got hold on this CD model:

At a first glance he looks very much like the Renegade Doomaxe the Dreaded (which is one of my personal favourites in the CD line) �?" but it�?Ts not him, but looks like a variant of him with ram�?Ts horn and something that looks like a spider, at the top of the helmet. Here is a close up photo:

Can�?Tt find anything about him in my usual sources (our Wiki, the Stuff of legends and the CCM Wiki) - so is there anyone here at CDO, who knows of him and what he is? , why he was made and if he got any name (like the other 3rd editions)?

And perhaps has some kind of reference �?" like to an old Citadel Journal or a White Dwarf mag.

Would really want to know if this is an official Citadel miniature or not. And if so, what’s his background.

Perv:

Email Kev Moran for an ID, he’ll know about it most likely mate. If he doesnt I’ll eat my beard :slight_smile:

stunties@ntlworld.com

cornixt:

Several of the Renegades had different heads in later releases. I think this one was discussed on a forum last year some time, either here or HoH.

clam:

Thx - Cornixt - and found it here at HoH

http://www.chaosdwarf.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=11377

Started by Pyro S :slight_smile: - and suddenly remembered that I’ve seen it before - he’s also in Pyro’s Painting the Renegades - showcase (right after Pulper). Even asked about him myself - totally forgotten about that :~

So it seems that there is a alternated version for many of them - if not all.

Would really like them in my collection, but don’t really know what I’m looking for here.

I hope we can agree upon - that these are the original ones:

Harvestmouse named then a few in the thread - but it’s without pictures :frowning:

He (read Doomaxe) wasn’t the only one though Pulper had a different spiked head format. (hair around the dwarfs ears).

Mad Marik had a less spikey armour version.

And Khazek along with the different head alternatives, had a different horn alternative too.

One of the others may have had alternative, but it’s a vague distant memory now!

Havestmouse @ HoH
So does anyone know of pitures of these variants. Would really, really like to see them - and I belive they should have a place in our Wiki as well.

So please post any reference to these simplified Renegade variants here.

Thx!

- Clam

Pyro Stick:

I wasnt very pleased when i got that version as i thought it a bit stupid to have a spider on to of a helmet. It took me long enough to figure out what it was i was supposed to be painting. I much prefer the one with the horns so i might try get that one later on.

The only place i have found a pic of his alt. form is here:

http://www.collecting-citadel-miniatures.com/wiki/index.php/Chaos_Dwarfs

I would of thought ccm would of had all of the alt. forms but i could only find Doomaxe The Dreaded.

clam:

@Pyro

So would I :frowning:

But I found this one today - the Pulper Spikehead variant I think - the dwarf head on the shoulder certainly got a lot more hair than mine :slight_smile:

Willmark:

Not at all unusual to find alternate casts of the base model. Great find thou.

torn:

i have a feeling what they would have done when a mold broke was slightly alter the models, so that people who already had them would be tempted to get the new ones. wouldnt take too much effort, and maybe the sculptors thought they could do things better if they had another chance.

its certainly bringing a lot of very unusual and unseen miniatures up!

Pyro Stick:

But I found this one today - the Pulper Spikehead variant I think - the dwarf head on the shoulder certainly got a lot more hair than mine :-)

clam
I think thats the one i have:

I wonder what other renegades i have with the alt. forms.

Willmark:

Marauder minis are so colorful and just have much more detail to them…

clam:

@Pyro

Haven’t really noticed that before, though I have visited your showcase so many times - but your right - it’s the variant allright

clam:

I have seen this Drum & Drone Ulsen a few times lately:

- at first I thought it was broken, but with 3 of them up at eBay this week - I think it could indicate a variant of the Drum & Drun Ulsen fig - a variant without spikes at the top af the helmets.

Anyone here with a “mint” Drum & Drone Ulsen fig - who could verify this? - and perhaps present some close up pictures?

Also found these:

Again a Drum & Drone, Doomeaxe and Pulper (I think) variant - and the Mad Marik fig could very well be “the less spikey armour version”. Asked the seller for better pictures, but he couldn’t provide them - and I came to late to actually buy them.

And we ain’t that lucky to have the buyer “kathrynsamson” on board - do we?

Pyro Stick:

I think you are right in thinking that all the models in that auction are the alt. forms. I guess i dont have any of the alt. forms apart from Doomaxe but by the looks of those in that auction im glad as they dont look as good as the ogirinals. Drum and Drone look much better with the spike but tbh i never noticed that before. I noticed that mad marik was a lot less spikey though.

Sharkboy:

Again a Drum & Drone, Doomeaxe and Pulper (I think) variant - and the Mad Marik fig could very well be “the less spikey armour version”. Asked the seller for better pictures, but he couldn’t provide them - and I came to late to actually buy them.

And we ain’t that lucky to have the buyer “kathrynsamson” on board - do we?

[/quote]

It is the less spiky version, he has a more ornate helmet but as I don’t have the original (yet) it’s hard to tell from the picture. The Doomaxe variant is ‘ten a penny’, I’ve got 2 of them kicking around.

Canix:

I have the variants of marik and doomaxe and the longhaired pupler will put up pics in a bit my battery just went dead so  needs recharging:hat

The Marik varient has a less spiky mace ,no spikes on helmet and a dagger instead of a sword the helmet has a bas relief of an evil face /mask?

Obsidian:

My brother used to work in the factory about 11 years ago and what he says is, and what was the story back then, was that the skull variant had a lot of problems with casting. Hence they made a new easier to cast variation.

Kera foehunter:

Well clam good luck finding the rest of them.You don’t have to worrie about me buy them .well not yet!!