[Archive] What was the last thing you bought in a GW store and when?

Kered:

Two days ago I bought some modeling snow.

Loki:

Last Saturday i brought the blood angles omnibus, some black spray and a Storm Raven :smiley:

Ishkur Cinderhat:

I bought myself a Tau battalion box and the Skaven army book, back in November 2009.

Drove all the way to Munich for that at 6.30AM, arrived at 8AM… and then found out they wouldn’t open their doors until 11AM :frowning:

Ogrob:

A couple of weeks ago, my FLGS didn’t have any Devlan Mud so I had to go into GW. That might be my only in-GW purchase ever. The guy working there asked if I also needed super glue, not “anything else?” but “Do you need superglue with that?”. Is this some GW standard thing?

nitroglysarine:

..."Do you need superglue with that?". Is this some GW standard thing?

Ogrob
"Would you like fries with that sir?" - perhaps its a reflex?

Thommy H:

They do always try to flog glue, yeah. I have no idea why. They never ask if I need files, or paint, or basing material. Just glue.

I think the last thing I bought in a GW store was some Bretonnian Knights, which I painted as ghosts and now serve as Black Knights in my Vampire Dukes army. But I didn’t say any of this. I’ve learned my lesson about actually trying to engage with the guys who work there - it just confuses them. The time I was in there before that I wanted some grey modelling gravel, which shouldn’t be too hard, should it? Turns out they only sell it as part of one of their basing kits (the 40K one) which was fine, but the whole concept of what I was doing just seemed to completely perplex the guy. I was explaining how I use it to do lava bases, and just wash it in black so there’s no need for any shading or highlighting, and he started on about some crazy method of his own for doing it, as if I’d abandon the way I’ve done things for, like, 6,000 points worth of models.

There was also the time I bought the Vampire Counts book and the guy goes, “how do you like them in 8th Edition then?”, to which I replied, "I don’t know - I’m only just buying the book, aren’t I? I don’t have an army yet."

And when I bought pots of chaos black, skull white and dark angels green and he says, “what are you painting?” “Well, Dark Angels, obviously.” At least he made the ‘ask a stupid question’ face.

Oh, and when I was buying the battlemat, and the guy says, “you know we have the Realm of Battle board, yeah?” As if fear of scarcity was why I would purchase something about a tenth the cost of the competing product.

The secret, I’ve found, is to go in with my fiancée and use her as a tactical distraction by persuading her to buy something too. The novelty of a girl gamer - particularly one buying Beastmen - is enough to distract these people from even noticing little old me.

But this isn’t a “GW stores are about as appealing to enter as a shark’s face: discuss” thread.

Thorne:

"Do you need super glue" ANYTHING  "anything else?" BUT "Do you need superglue with that?". Can I supersise your order for 30p

Games Workshop Blueshirt protocal droid
Yes they are all based upon the C3P0 model. Now these beastmen I would like to see Tommy. Last girl put together army I saw was a tyranid army and I cant say I have ever fougth a army so well put together nor so well painted for a long time before nor again yet.

Thommy H:

They’re all just matte black so far - she hasn’t had much time for Warhammer recently, and it’s not really her “priority hobby” if you like, just something she does from time to time. You might have occasionally seen some of her Wood Elves here and there in photos I’ve posted though and they’re a damn sight nicer looking than my first army was!

cornixt:

The secret, I've found, is to go in with my fiancée and use her as a tactical distraction by persuading her to buy something too. The novelty of a girl gamer - particularly one buying Beastmen - is enough to distract these people from even noticing little old me.

Thommy H
I used that too! The really obnoxious employee would suddenly become nice if my wife stood next to me, and the crazy enthusiastic ones would be revelatively normal. She didn't ever have to buy anything, it was a proximity thing. She does the same with me in clothes shops to get rid of the shop assistants.

nitroglysarine:

Never tired that didn’t have a girlfriend at 17 which was the last time I was in there.

Thommy H:

I used that too! The really obnoxious employee would suddenly become nice if my wife stood next to me, and the crazy enthusiastic ones would be revelatively normal. She didn't ever have to buy anything, it was a proximity thing. She does the same with me in clothes shops to get rid of the shop assistants.

cornixt
I think it's because being there with a partner is a very easy visual shorthand for: "no, I actually do have a life, and the fact that I'm shopping with someone with whom I'm clearly in a relationship indicates that I have matured past the point where little toy soldiers are anything but a distraction for my free moments. I'm here to shop, not be friends."

Willmark:

August 2001, store in Edinbrough. Bought Space Marine scouts. The reason this was my last time is the fact the closest one was in Buffalo NY- it closed. Plus there is 1) not enough to make me drive to a GW shop to do so. 2) see #1.

Xander:

Plastic Fell Beast, this week.

Soon to be my Chaos Dragon. :slight_smile: