[Archive] What would it take to have GW include Chaos Dwarfs as an official army?

Spikes:

In response to “how much would you pay for a printed copy of a fan made list”: What do you think would be needed to have GW design, manage, market, print and distribute an 8th edition chaos dwarf army book?

I am using a large amount of GW miniatures with my chaos dwarfs. I probably spent more money on my CD than I have on any of my other armies. So if the concern was selling minis, let it be known that if chaos dwarfs were supported then GW would sell dwarf minis and goblinoïd minis thanks to a single product.

This worked very well when they revived the LOTR range simply by printing a new rulebook: WOTR, mass battles for lord of the rings. It encouraged people to buy multiple boxes to make units, just as in warhammer.

silentbob27:

What would it take? Forge World

Grimstonefire:

What would be needed is agreement from the accountants, and from top management that they need another warhammer army from the main studio.

FW… It depends. I think the fans will need to put some pressure on after we see what they release. After a while there may be enough to form a semblance of a list.

Hammerhand:

Not a petition anyway, lol! we got 901 signatures on an online petition to allow CDs in the GTs with a revised ravening hordes online PDF (that’s a minimal effort, minimal cost, no fluff just points and prizes list!!). Got no response. Typical GW!!! I’m still disappointed more people didn’t sign it - there are over 2000 members of this forum alone who would surely want it to happen.

Servius:

What would it take… Seriously… Getting the entire board of directors, dev team, and creative team at gw laid in succession by, Heidi Montag, Megan Fox, and Scarlet Johanssen. Then arriving in their bedrooms in the middle of the night in a Radiation suit with a walkman hooked up to earbuds in their ears and waking them up with David Lee Roth, and saying the following “I am Darth Vader, I am an extraterrestrial from the planet Vulcan! :gives Vulcan Salute: If you don’t write a book for Chaos Dwarfs, I will melt your Brain.”

Fallen246:

What would it take.... Seriously... Getting the entire board of directors, dev team, and creative team at gw laid in succession by, Heidi Montag, Megan Fox, and Scarlet Johanssen. Then arriving in their bedrooms in the middle of the night in a Radiation suit with a walkman hooked up to earbuds in their ears and waking them up with David Lee Roth, and saying the following "I am Darth Vader, I am an extraterrestrial from the planet Vulcan! :gives Vulcan Salute: If you don't write a book for Chaos Dwarfs, I will melt your Brain."

Servius
And if that fails, we simply boot them in the ass.

Anonymouse:

What it would take? Probably blue moons, air-borne livestock and afterworld temperatures approaching absolute zero.

dedwrekka:

An end to the global recession, GW to experience a massive spike of interest, a movie with chaos-dwarf-like people in it, and GW to experience a spike in revenues to fund the project.

Not a petition anyway, lol! we got 901 signatures on an online petition to allow CDs in the GTs with a revised ravening hordes online PDF (that’s a minimal effort, minimal cost, no fluff just points and prizes list!!). Got no response. Typical GW!!! I’m still disappointed more people didn’t sign it - there are over 2000 members of this forum alone who would surely want it to happen.

Hammerhand
Did that actually get sent to anyone?

Loki:

A couple of truck loads of money would most likely do it

Hammerhand:

An end to the global recession, GW to experience a massive spike of interest, a movie with chaos-dwarf-like people in it, and GW to experience a spike in revenues to fund the project.
Not a petition anyway, lol! we got 901 signatures on an online petition to allow CDs in the GTs with a revised ravening hordes online PDF (that's a minimal effort, minimal cost, no fluff just points and prizes list!!). Got no response. Typical GW!!!! I'm still disappointed more people didn't sign it - there are over 2000 members of this forum alone who would surely want it to happen.

Hammerhand
Did that actually get sent to anyone?

dedwrekka
**shuffle** not exactly, a link was emailed to GW a couple of times if I remember, think it was ignored - dont remember, it was a long time ago......

the petition is still open if anyone wants to sign it.
CD4GT Petition

Maybe if we get over 1500 sigs I'll print it off and hand deliver it to Warhammer World, as I live just round the corner now.

Tarrakk Blackhand:

Hells Angles, Mafia (Russian, Itallian, Jewish, Asian, what-have-you)…death threats…shy of that, I don’t know. :smiley:

Baggronor:

**shuffle** not exactly, a link was emailed to GW a couple of times if I remember, think it was ignored - dont remember, it was a long time ago......
Lol after all that, all that was sent was a link? I'd ignore a link too. Should have emailed and posted it at the very least :) Never too late.

Regarding GW and CDs, mainly it would take a highly visible boost in the acceptance and interest in evil dwarves. Which is pretty unlikely. If there were evil dwarves in LoTR for example, there's a good chance we wouldn't need to have this discussion.

They also need more space in stores and a shift in business that would warrant another army. At present, they already have quite a few that cater to many play styles.

CDO can only provide confirmation that there is indeed an audience for CDs, however the very fact that many people here are so good at making their own is actually counter-productive in the sense that we don't need GW's models; however GW is a figure company and thats how they turn a profit, and there lies the problem. If indeed it is a problem.

Hammerhand:

Lol after all that, all that was sent was a link? I'd ignore a link too. Should have emailed and posted it at the very least :) Never too late.

Baggronor
Ah hah! no, I remember now!! it caused quite a stir if I remember correctly, I had wrote an email to the guy who organised the GTs and he forwarded it on to none other than Jervis Johnson - the big J himself! At first I thought it was a blow-off but later on we actually got a reply form Jervis saying we weren't banned from using CDs, just only as 'counts as' because there were no current rules and they weren't going to make any. The whole thing is in this forum somewhere - I think about 2007 time when I was a noob and trying to impress my new forum buddies. Wait a minute, was that before or after the petition?? gosh I really can't remember. Someone help me out here guys - I think Wilmark took a keen interest at the time (before his ascent to godhood) maybe you have a better memory WM? Infact, isn't there a petition thread somewhere??

dedwrekka:

Baggronor
Ah hah! no, I remember now!! it caused quite a stir if I remember correctly, I had wrote an email to the guy who organised the GTs and he forwarded it on to none other than Jervis Johnson - the big J himself! At first I thought it was a blow-off but later on we actually got a reply form Jervis saying we weren't banned from using CDs, just only as 'counts as' because there were no current rules and they weren't going to make any.  The whole thing is in this forum somewhere - I think about 2007 time when I was a noob and trying to impress my new forum buddies.  Wait a minute, was that before or after the petition?? gosh I really can't remember. Someone help me out here guys - I think Wilmark took a keen interest at the time (before his ascent to godhood) maybe you have a better memory WM? Infact, isn't there a petition thread somewhere??

Hammerhand
I think I caught the tail end of that explosion. The discussion is buried in the rumors sub-forum.

snowblizz:

CDO can only provide confirmation that there is indeed an audience for CDs, however the very fact that many people here are so good at making their own is actually counter-productive in the sense that we don't need GW's models; however GW is a figure company and thats how they turn a profit, and there lies the problem. If indeed it is a problem.

Baggronor
There's a conceptual problem with that. Who proved that there was a market for Ogres? For Tau? Suits making an economic decision to invest in a new figure line. Same would be true for CDs, if they think they can make CDs become a profitable venture they will make them.

The same thought can be applied to all existing armies. Why would GW update existing armies with models, surely a large part of the future player base already has the models since it is mostly re-releasing models. Yet I'm certain they expect many existing players to pick up the new models to expand or replace existing collections.

A new CD army would not be made for us, but for the thousands of other people not currently owning CD models that may never have heard of them before.

Baggronor:

There's a conceptual problem with that. Who proved that there was a market for Ogres? For Tau? Suits making an economic decision to invest in a new figure line. Same would be true for CDs, if they think they can make CDs become a profitable venture they will make them.
Yes, of course. But what I meant was CDs' underground status is already doing GW a favour by keeping people interested in an army that GW don't have to spend any money on. We do it all, why would they shatter that bubble when they could just do something else more lucrative and less risky? Like more Space Marines.

Also, the enormous popularity of manga and anime made Tau a pretty safe bet imo; they're Gundam but piloted by aliens. I agree Ogres were a real blip. I mean really. They're still a shaky idea imo.

Grimstonefire:

I think GW will take the numbers from anything FW sells to make a guess at the sort of interest they’re likely to get.

snowblizz:

Yes, of course. But what I meant was CDs' underground status is already doing GW a favour by keeping people interested in an army that GW don't have to spend any money on. We do it all, why would they shatter that bubble when they could just do something else more lucrative and less risky? Like more Space Marines.

Also, the enormous popularity of manga and anime made Tau a pretty safe bet imo; they're Gundam but piloted by aliens. I agree Ogres were a real blip. I mean really. They're still a shaky idea imo.

Baggronor
With the risk of upsetting people. We don't matter. At all. How is keeping an army at a mere 2481* players doing them a favour? Launching CDs as a new army would easily outstrip us all as a player base with the initial launch alone. That's hardly enough to make it a profitable venture of course, it must take a lot more players than that to make it viable to do, I'm just saying we are a marginal group at best.
By and large whether we all create our own models or not is largely meaningless.
The bigger problem is really will investing in CDs net them more than say another Space Marine chapter. And there unfortunately lies our bane as such.

*the number reported by the forum software when I checked at 15:00 today, obviously not an exact metric

And I do agree that FW can be used to test-market stuff. I'm not sure they do that to a large degree but if CDs sell exceptionally well then of course they'd take notice.

GRNDL:

@snowblizz

That’s a pretty negative view and also, IMO, way off the mark.

First off, using CDO figures as the sole target demographic of a new CD line of models and army book isn’t particularly accurate: GW intends to sell its models to all Warhammer players and tailors their lines to them and design them to entice non-Warhammer fans and even non-players to buy them. In other words, as a company GW design models to sell to any and everybody, not just fans. Current CD fans and players will obviously buy some, but don’t be fooled that they would be the only ones.

Secondly, the role of marketing is to get interest in the product out there, amongst as many potential markets as possible. This means that when marketing is done right, people who do not usually buy something, buy this product. CDs have lain “dormant” so long that a lot of new players don’t know of their past and would be interested in trying something new. So, with this, your comment about us being marginal is irrelevant. Sure, on strict numbers, we won’t be providing much return on investment for GW, but then with a relatively large company embarking on a new product line, we wouldn’t have to: the goal is much, much larger than us.

Thirdly, 40K is not a direct competitor to WHFB. While there is overlap between the two games, players of one system do not automatically play the other. This means that a new space marine chapter is not direct competition of CDs or any other WHFB army. Also, the two brands are exactly that - two distinct brands. They have their own marketing and licensing budgets, so at a developmental level, new marines or 40k armies won’t cut into the WHFB budgets.

aka_mythos:

To get GW to include CD would require someone within the design studio who would champion the project. The armies that die or lack GW support, lack design staff support. Someone internally has to be bouncing up and down for the chance, for GW to consider it.