[Archive] Where to start?

Immortal Scrub:

Hey all first post here so let me get some basic info in. I’ve been playing Warhammer for several years now (40k for 7, fantasy for 3) and lately my focus has been on fantasy, specifically Warriors of Chaos. After waiting for 2 months for my back-ordered copy of Tamurkhan, I got it about a month ago and immediately fell in love with CD :slight_smile:

My issue now is where should I begin assembling my army. I’ve mulled through a lot of the LoA specific posts to see what people like and what people don’t, but I’m still stuck.

What would you guys recommend taking? What do you never leave home without? What should I not go near with a 10 foot pole? Are there any magic items that are amazingly better than others? What magic lore do you prefer? Etc, etc…

Another thing that could be done although isn’t necessary is make a sticky thread that compiles all of this information. I frequent the WoC section of Librarium Online quite a bit and there is a sticky very similar to this (http://www.librarium-online.com/forums/warriors-chaos/220098-warriors-quickstart-guide.html just to get an idea of what I mean) The only reason I suggest this is because I’m seeing a lot of “New to CD” threads that could be avoided if something like this existed.

Thanks in advance guys, I’m looking forward to being a member here :hat off

JonJon:

welcome

do you like the forgeworld cds ,if you do the infernal guard and command cant go wrong there

Rickie:

If I were you I’d start out simple. Models that pretty much always will be in your list.

So for core you will almost always have one unit of infernal gaurd, just go bare bones with comand with them.

You will most likly want a demonsmith, either as a hero or lord choise.

Deathshrieker rockets and magma cannons are also nice.

A BSB castelan is something you will have to convert yourself I belive. But a nice addition.

When you get past 2k points a destroyer is nice to have.

Regarding the stuff to avoid. I personally dont like the train, wolfriders are to unreliable (better to grab khan on wolf). I find Ironsworn to be to expensive, and the same might be true for the dreadquake mortar.

Also on your IG, there is not much point in the wepon upgrades, hobgobs do BS shooting better and GW are a tad bit expensive. Some pepole seem to find ways to make them work thou.

Rest of the choises are rather well balanced. Just rember that to many magma cannons and destroyers might get you a shortage of pepole to play ^^

All of this is offcourse just my opinion, and I dont have that much hands on experiance to back it up.

Immortal Scrub:

Ya the forgeworld models are a big reason why I like them. The older models have always been a bit too cartoony for me. Is there a unit size that seems to work best? From what I’ve seen HW/Shield seems to be the preferred set up on these guys.

Da Crusha:

personally I like to think outside the box but if you take a look at the army lists section you will see that most cd lists have 2 units of 25 or so infernal guard with hand weapon and shield, 20 or so hobgoblins. a magma cannon, a deathshrieker, a hellcannon and a kdaii destroyer. a level 4 hashut or death mage, a bsb, and either a hobgoblin khan on wolf or wolf riders. all of this in a roughly 2500 pt list

Immortal Scrub:

Wow thanks for the quick replies guys :smiley: Another question I had is is there any other kind of list that’s viable besides castling/gunline, or does low movement value limit CD to such a list? I’ve been kicking around the idea of running IG in a 3x6 formation with fireglaives for the S5 attacks (haha it seems I can’t break my WoC ways)

Da Crusha:

there is a list some one was talking about using that was primarily msu. I didnt look much into it. maneuvering with chaos dwarfs is difficult. tell us if you develop a viable list with that format. seems interesting.

Rickie:

We do have some fast options, but none in core. Regular dwarfs are able to make combat lists, I see no reason why CD’s shouldent be able to. The MSU list that was sugested in another thread also looked very fun to play.

MLP:

Welcome to the forums.

Another thing that could be done although isn’t necessary is make a sticky thread that compiles all of this information. I frequent the WoC section of Librarium Online quite a bit and there is a sticky very similar to this (http://www.librarium-online.com/forums/w...guide.html just to get an idea of what I mean) The only reason I suggest this is because I’m seeing a lot of “New to CD” threads that could be avoided if something like this existed.
This probably isn’t a bad idea. The only thing here is that people use a variety of unofficial army lists not just from the Tamurkhan book, so there would need to be a few threads. Also the Tamurkhan book is pretty limited on troop choices anyway and I think in most peoples views every unit is viable in some way.

Main points from the Tamurkhan book I’ve gathered is that both core infantry choices are pretty expensive for their use. I think it’s best to take as close to the minimum 25% of core that you can comprising of either standard Infernal guard with no weapon options just a command group, or Hobgoblins armed with bows and shields. Saying this many people use lists with all weapon options and find success so it’s up to you really.

Magma Cannon, Hellcannon and K’daai Destroyer are very good units for their cost. A lot of views are that an army without at least one of these units will be pretty weak.

People seem about 50/50 on either taking small units of Hobgoblin wolf raiders or Hobgoblin Khans on wolfs. Both about the same points but the khan is more reliable where the raiders have the advantage of numbers to flank charge.

You can make fast(comparatively) lists but I find they’re not so point and click to play. You need to really consider your battle plan and think a turn or two ahead but they can be very effective. These are your fastest units you can use:

Sorcerer-Prophet on Taurus/Lammasu

Hobgoblin Khan on Great Wolf

Castellan/Demonsmith on Flying Carpet

Infernal guard with +1 Mv Banner and battle standard

4-6 Bull Centaur Renders

4-6 Kdaai Fireborn

Kdaai Destroyer

Hobgoblin Wolf Raiders

Infernal Guards as Minimum core to hold the line somewhere and with careful use of unbreakable and resilient K’daai you can pin the enemy easily and get nice flank charges in there with Bull centaurs and Wolf Raiders(85 point unit of 5 with standard in the flank is +4 combat res straight off). Use your mobile characters to harrass the enemy with magic and pick off weak units and warmachines. You can probably make room for a few war machines aswell if you want to as they can normally hold their own especially if they’re hellbound.

I certainly plan on trying lists like this out when I get some k’daai converted!

Hope this all helps.

Immortal Scrub:

Thanks a lot for your help guys, I really do appreciate it. I think ultimately I’d like to end up with a unit of 25 IG with command, the set of daemonsmiths, 2 magma cannons and 2 death shriekers, and MAYBE the Drazhoath model to use as a bale taurus to support a unit of 6 GW BC’s. Then I’ll scratch build 6 Fireborn and convert up a Destoyer and finish it all off with some hobgoblins. This will definitely be a LONG term project (damn you college, why can’t I just spend my money on little toy soldiers), but when I get it rolling I’ll start up a PLog