[Archive] WHFB Albion Concept Artwork by Matthew Klaas de Witte (Deviantart)

Admiral:

No brakes on the crazy train, Uther. You can’t just stop like that! :hat off

I really like Uther’s suggestions! Are geese-borne warriors too silly? Is anything TOO silly for WHFB? I know some of the hardcore fans hate silly stuff. I have to make a Carnyx warrior to provide buffs for sure.

I do enjoy how passionate the community is about this, they treat it as though it were official content. People really wanted GW to finish that world. It almost makes me want to see what I can do with the other unfinished regions.

Matthew Klaas de Witte

Admiral:

[align=center]Henge Chariot

[/align]

Original fan content

“It’s a shame you can’t just pick up the Ogham Stones and take them with you, they’re so helpful casting spells, but never in exactly the right place when you need them” - Boio Windspeaker, Truthsayer of The Circle. Unwitting inventor of the Henge Chariot.

The Ogham Stones augment the winds of magic, improving the quality of spell, and ease of casting. Other Truthsayers scoffed and even laughed at Boio’s idea, but when he took it into battle there was no laughing, only the screams of his enemies.

Matthew Klaas de Witte

Uther the unhinged:

Love the henge chariot. Go go great hogs!

ashur:

Great chariot. It is everything I ever dreamed about Albion. Since they are the most primitve human culture, they need to compensate and go crazy with celtic creatures and magic.

The Elemental Incarnation of Beast would fit nicely, or be a potential inspiration. It looks like a feral Cernunnus.

How about a living, burning, Wicker man?

Admiral:

Master de Witte sends his thanks and regards to Uther and ashur, and he approve of your ideas. Expect to see some of them in drawings in the future!

Ashur nailed it with what I’m trying to do, boy it seems daunting putting them on a level playing-field with the other races!

Matthew Klaas de Witte
As you can see, he has started to pick up on concept ideas from here on Chaos Dwarfs Online, so keep the wild ideas coming if you’ve got any more! :slight_smile:

[align=center]Bowler

[/align]
Unofficial fan content

Bowlers are large (even for a warrior of Albion) slingers who hurl large stones. You may think you need to get close to not have to confront getting your helm caved-in by massive stones. But upon inspecting their size, you may think out-ranging them with your own missiles would be a smarter approach. At higher levels, these men wear better armour and hurl magical carved shots imbued by Truthsayers. While they can’t throw as far as a normal slinger, they hit extremely hard.

Thanks for the inspiration from a user from a message board by the name of Uther the Unhinged. Who suggested magical sling stones. I think it’s a great way to add to their uniqueness!

Matthew Klaas de Witte

Dînadan:

Anyone else think they were going to be called Bowlers because they played lawn bowls with those balls? �Y~.

ashur:

Master de Witte sends his thanks and regards to Uther and ashur, and he approve of your ideas. Expect to see some of them in drawings in the future!
Ashur nailed it with what I'm trying to do, boy it seems daunting putting them on a level playing-field with the other races!

Matthew Klaas de Witte
As you can see, he has started to pick up on concept ideas from here on Chaos Dwarfs Online, so keep the wild ideas coming if you've got any more! :)

Admiral
Thanks to Admiral and Master de Witte! :hat off

ashur:

Anyone else think they were going to be called Bowlers because they played lawn bowls with those balls? �Y~.

Dînadan
You know, that is exactly what I thought, but with a french version.

I could swear that was a gaul from Asterix throwing pétanque balls at the ennemy.

Admiral:

@Dînadan: You’re not alone!

@ashur: Score! :cheers

@Uther the unhinged: lordofskullpass over on Eighth Edition For Life had this praise to share:

Just been having a look at Uther’s ideas on CDO, I’d be all for any of those. Look forward to seeing what master de Witte comes up with next!

I’m currently in the process of writing rules for an unofficial Albion army including all the units that master de Witte has proposed so far - hope I’ve done his ideas justice. I’m going to post it in the Army Book and Expansion Development section alongside my Tyranid ruleset when it’s finished, so could you maybe give him a tip-off about it, as you seem to be in contact with him? It would be great to hear any feedback he would have about it!

lordofskullpass
I’ll link his upcoming Albion rules here when they are revealed. Meanwhile on the art front:

[align=center]Chief Begorix and Hoggarix

[/align]
Begoix is chief of the Boreni. The tribe is located nearby the main herding grounds of great hogs which it uses as mounts. These animals have potential to grow greater in size than the other boars of Albion and the Old World, and Begorix rides Hoggarix, who comes from a bloodline cultivated by the chieftains of old to be the largest and most spirited of all great hogs. He and his tribe take the mantle of protecting the Great Ogham, The most important and largest stone circle in Albion, it channels much of the power that is used by Truthsayers. Knowledge and wisdom old and new is recorded upon its many stone edifices by the Truthsayers. He is immensely proud to a fault, he does not allow for anyone of other tribes to trespass without the blessings of the native Thruthsayers.

Matthew Klaas de Witte

ashur:

Ridiculously big!

Beautiful.

Things are getting better and better for Albion.

Here is a small source of inspiration from an old french celtic myths and legends book.

Admiral:

@ashur: Thanks, forwarding it to de Witte!

[align=center]Hurler

[/align]

Unofficial fan content

Though fierce warriors all, the natives of Albion do enjoy sporting. Even so, it is a violent game, with many finding their mouths on the receiving end of a hurley. Those competent enough at the sport may decide to convert it into warfare, striking stone balls at their enemies, then switching to bladed sticks, with a metal pommel so it can be used for smashing heads after ammunition is gone. These warriors can strike their shots while moving and hit them further than the “bowlers” can throw.    

I was watching an Irish film and had this idea strike me. While I’m not sure how far one can hit a stone with a hurley, and then there being enough force behind it to kill, let’s just conveniently suspend that part of reality shall we? :smiley:

Armor was inspired by the Glauberg Prince, combined with Halstatt studs.

Matthew Klaas de Witte

ashur:

This will turn every war against orcs into a hooligan riot!

Matt de Witte:

Hi everyone, this is the artist behind the art, any questions or suggestions can be directed towards me now! Though be warned I’m an uber noob so it will take me a little to get the hang of things here. You guys will probably also enjoy my non-Albion WHFB fanart: deWitteillustration - Traditional Artist | DeviantArt

Big thanks to Admiral for setting up this account for me and the diligent work he’s done!

ashur:

Welcome! Thanks for all your efforts!

Admiral:

[align=center]Wicker Man

[/align]

Unofficial fan content

The Truthsayers know a myriad of secrets, not all of them are good. The ability to animate the Manhirs and Manoliths into machinations of war are one thing, the Wicker Men are more curious still. Even rarer, and of dubious origins, they instill fear in their allies and enemies. A chieftain will not turn away the help but it will give him unease. What powers them? What causes the being to burn without being consumed? Ask not, only see the path to victory before you, whose blazing trail has been bought with the screams of the burning soul trapped within.

Matthew Klaas de Witte

ashur:

Beautiful and completly demented! The background is very Warhammer in style.
I’ve thought about the living Wicker Man for some time and your work surpasses my ideas. It really looks like the centerpiece and heavy hitter of an Albion army.

Love it!

Admiral:

Demented is good. Isn’t that right, Uther the unhinged? :smiley:

[align=center]Champion of Oghams

[/align]

Unofficial fan content

These great warriors are tasked with protecting the most sacred stone circles that populate Albion. While a standard standing-stone channels and amplifies the Winds of Magic, the stone circles don’t just amplify them greatly, but contain wisdom and knowledge from the aeons inscribed in ogham upon them. They are of utmost importance to the peoples of Albion, and must have their chosen protectors.

I wanted to show the ways I could make La Tene inspired plate armour. And design a non-charcter hero-style unit

Matthew Klaas de Witte

Uther the truly unhinged:

The Wicker man is truly demented and yes that is very good! Fantastic centre piece. Love the elite warriors too.

Admiral:

@Uther: Warhammer is historically based fantasy meets metalheads, so that’s suitable. :smiley:

[align=center]Cornu Players

[/align]

The Cornu is a magical war trumpet that inspires its army to feats of glory, each style has its own sound and affects the listener differently. The immense amount of work and care that goes into each one belies its importance to the people of Albion. These are not common instruments, neither is it a common man who plays them!

--------------------

I wanted to combine the different styles of La Tene trumpets. But I’m not sure where I got the idea for a wrap-around. I most definitely saw it somewhere.

Matthew Klaas de Witte

Abecedar:

I am truly loving this artwork(s).

I did stop my Albion collection after getting a Dark Emmisary, a Truthsayer and a Fen Beast though.