[Archive] WHFB What lores against wood elves?

TheHoodedMan:

What do you think?

I`ve got a warmachine heavy list with a lv4 and two lvl 1 on foot against wood elves (2500 pts).

What lores shall I use?

TheLazySamurai:

What do you think?
I`ve got a warmachine heavy list with a lv4 and two lvl 1 on foot against wood elves (2500 pts).
What lores shall I use?

TheHoodedMan
I would lean heavily towards Hashut with the level 4 and Fire with both level 1 wizards. Death and metal don't exploit the weaknesses of the army the same way these lores will. Wood elves is one of the few armies with flammable units, so spells that do flaming damage are obviously a good choice, but they are especially good with +D3 to cast. Burning Wrath and Flames of Azgorh work very well against trees of all kinds. Ash storm will block needed charges, but also cause -2 to shoot on a horde unit of archers if needed. The other spells in the lore aren't useless, but the three above are what I would be looking for when generating spells.

I usually go Fire on my level 1 regardless of opponent, but wood elves are a great choice for lore of fire. My first choice of spells is always the Flaming Sword if I can get it. I use it to buff my blunderbuss, but obviously your wood elf opponent is not going to march directly in front of such a unit. It can still be used on your warmachines with the Deathshrieker being a particularly good choice. Large template wounding T3 on 3s and the big rocket being made to cause flaming hits would obliterate a treeman with 2d6 wounds :o Fireball works great for clearing the amount of chaff you are sure to see across the table. Small units of T3 fast cav hate 2d6 S4 hits.

Anyway, that's my vote for spell lores against wood elves. Let us know what you decide and how you fared :cheers

The Lazy Samurai

TheHoodedMan:

What do you think?
What lores shall I use?

TheHoodedMan
I would lean heavily towards Hashut with the level 4 and Fire with both level 1 wizards. Death and metal don't exploit the weaknesses of the army the same way these lores will. Wood elves is one of the few armies with flammable units, so spells that do flaming damage are obviously a good choice, but they are especially good with +D3 to cast. Burning Wrath and Flames of Azgorh work very well against trees of all kinds. Ash storm will block needed charges, but also cause -2 to shoot on a horde unit of archers if needed.  The other spells in the lore aren't useless, but the three above are what I would be looking for when generating spells.

I usually go Fire on my level 1 regardless of opponent, but wood elves are a great choice for lore of fire. My first choice of spells is always the Flaming Sword if I can get it. I use it to buff my blunderbuss, but obviously your wood elf opponent is not going to march directly in front of such a unit. It can still be used on your warmachines with the Deathshrieker being a particularly good choice. Large template wounding T3 on 3s and the big rocket being made to cause flaming hits would obliterate a treeman with 2d6 wounds :o Fireball works great for clearing the amount of chaff you are sure to see across the table. Small units of T3 fast cav hate 2d6 S4 hits.

Anyway, that's my vote for spell lores against wood elves. Let us know what you decide and how you fared :cheers

The Lazy Samurai

TheLazySamurai
Thank you for sharing your knowlegde. Fire on the lvl 1s will definitely be the first choice.
I will not use the lore of Death.

The Question is if Hashut is best for the lvl4 because of two things:
- He is on foot and some spells have short ranges, especially "Burning Wrath".
- In the comp system we use only maximum 4 power dice are allowed to use in a casting attempt (Flames of Azgorh).
I would like to have the armor save buff from Metal as well, but you can`t have everything ;).
So probably I`ll go for Hashut and I´m sure I`ll get his favor for that ;).

TheHoodedMan:

In the end I thought a little about the wise Samurais Words: Why not take 3 fireballs instead of two ;)?

The high range of the fire spells proved to be very valuable. Both the fireball and the flame cage spell were very effective. In combination with some channelled power dice one spell per turn was always on target.

Here are a few notes about the battle:

http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=15813&pid=261491#pid261491