[Archive] White beard source lighting?

Grimstonefire:

A question for you all.

As many of us choose to have our models underlit by lava, what would you do on a white beard?

I’m struggling to get this right, as I’m not sure exactly how much white hair would ‘reflect’ the light??

Likewise, as there is highlighting, what would you do to shade a beard being underlit by lava?

Anyone got some tips or reference pics for me?

Kera foehunter:

well grims this is some color i found for you from off white to dark red so maybe this would help i think the color next to white down towards the bottom would work as a back light of lava on his beard

Pyro Stick:

Ishkur did some quite good reflected lighting here:

His lighting just doesnt reach the beard so i dont have any advice. Maybe ask Ishkur for help?

Canix:

I like ishkurs lighting orange to yellow ,its like the bright glow off a fire turns everything a warm orange:hat

Ishkur Cinderhat:

Hu, quite frankly I have no idea how to light a white area. o.O

I’d probably try a faint orange, as lava always has a reddish glow to it (at least in my imagination :D).

AGPO:

My advice would be simply not to use they white and go for grey instead

zagor66:

But Its got to be white for the white dwarf , no matter how dark it is.

Julio:

If you look at ishkur’s pic up there, he left deep black crevices in the beard, then highlited it with white, or a light gray. Simply ad more white, the closer to the lava you get and paint a verrryy thinned out layer of orange on the part nearest to the lava. This can turn out very well

minty:

Meh, he’s the White dwarf, i mean, even in pure darknes you’d just see the white beard, I don’t think it’s affected by light, so just paint it whitw, either that or get a bit of orange seethrough plastic, put it in fron of a light source and point that at somethign white to get the right coloiur

Lumpy:

If you consider that white reflects every colour of the specturm and that it absorbs very few colours then i would have to say that you should stay consistant with your highlighting and have it reflect the lava the same way that metal armour would.

zagor66:

Do a kind of orange hue.

dedwrekka:

A question for you all.

As many of us choose to have our models underlit by lava, what would you do on a white beard?

I'm struggling to get this right, as I'm not sure exactly how much white hair would 'reflect' the light??

Likewise, as there is highlighting, what would you do to shade a beard being underlit by lava?

Anyone got some tips or reference pics for me?

Grimstonefire
It's yellow or red tinted light, not white light. I'll have to do a few source lighting guide pictures later to show the effects of different lights on colors (I use LEDs). The main thing is that it would make the beard appear red or yellowish, not white. Similar to how a black (actually blue) light makes white appear as a light blue.

A little color theory:
White or pastels (Color with white added to lighten it) reflect the most light, and thus will reflect the color of the light spectrum better.
Black or darker shades (black added to a color to make it darker) will reflect less light and less of the light spectrum.

A couple good articles from the article bin at CMoN:
OSL Theory
Lighting Techniques

dedwrekka:

Here’s a few light source images. Didn’t have any white bearded dwarfs to try it on though.

A couple examples of how a red light effects the coloring

Here’s a few on how a brighter light effects the shading.

Baggronor:

I think the main problem that is vexing you is that the beard looks lighter than the reflected orange colour. This is because the rest of the model is lighter than it should be when trying to show reflected light from lava, hence the orange lighting looks darker than the white beard. The only true solutions would be to darken the rest of the model so the light from the lava becomes the main light source (which may conflict with the rest of your army), or just have very limited directional lighting from the lava (so just on the very closest parts and even then very faintly). Anything else will probably look a little odd.

When you paint something (canvas or models), its colour should never just be blue or green or whatever, it should always have a tinge of its surroundings and any relevant colouration of light mixed into it. If the lava is the main source of light, then the shading, and indeed everything else, would need orange/yellow/red added to it.

Pain in the arse eh :slight_smile:

wallacer:

The links posted above were really helpful.

Perhaps a glaze of orange ink would do the trick?

Skink:

Uhm… Following the colour theory: Black “captures” all the light, because it doesn’t reflect anything (that’s why it is “black”). Opposite, white reflects all the light quantums.

Have you ever been to a rave party? Well, in there usually the organizers use some kind of strange neon illumination that colour everything with a sort of violet gleam. But white stays white

Reasoning on this, I think that a white beard won’t reflect lava. And if so it will only in the recess of it, use Blazing Orange thinned with water.

Skink:

In fact, look at the first photo posted by dedwrekka, The armor (silver) is reflecting the red light, but the trousers (white, close to the light source) aren’t.

Baggronor:

Of course the trousers reflect the red light too, just less so as the metal is gloss.

Uhm… Following the colour theory: Black “captures” all the light, because it doesn’t reflect anything (that’s why it is “black”).
If it captured all light you wouldn’t be able to see it. Hence why you don’t paint anything actual black, as nothing you can see is actual black.
Reasoning on this, I think that a white beard won’t reflect lava.And if so it will only in the recess of it
Artificial fluorescent lighting is hardly the same sort of thing. Its done precisely to pick out white. And why would it reflect in the recesses? The recesses will be darkest, the raised areas will be strongest highlighted.

dedwrekka:

Uhm... Following the colour theory: Black "captures" all the light, because it doesn't reflect anything (that's why it is "black"). Opposite, white reflects all the light quantums.

Have you ever been to a rave party? Well, in there usually the organizers use some kind of strange neon illumination that colour everything with a sort of violet gleam. But white stays white

Reasoning on this, I think that a white beard won't reflect lava. And if so it will only in the recess of it, use Blazing Orange thinned with water.

Skink
True, but a true black light isn't common in commercial use. What you usually see, including at those raves, are UV lights. What's sold as a "Black Light" isn't black at all. White actually shows up as a bright florescent white as it reflects the most color, but the coloration of the UV light shows up in the recesses and shading of the light (Which is why you'll see blue or violet shading in the recesses of T-shirts in a "Black Light", and darker surfaces show up as various hues of blue or violet under a common "Black Light".
Similarly, most rave paints are pastel or fluorescent colors, having white or yellow respectively added to the color to be more luminescent.
In fact, look at the first photo posted by dedwrekka, The armor (silver) is reflecting the red light, but the trousers (white, close to the light source) aren't.

Skink
Well, my first picture is with external sources as well, in which case the coloration from the red LED is drowned out by the more powerful white lights.

If you're going to paint it as if it had external light sources, you'd paint it normally focusing on the more powerful light source. Even the recess illumination (The places where the larger external source doesn't hit, but the lava would) would be drowned out by the more powerful light. Which you can see in the first of my photos.

However, if you're going to have no other external light source except the lava, then the common technique* is to have the rest of the model darker than normal, with the parts illuminated by the lava being the brightest parts of the model.

*This common technique represents the vantage point of looking across the lava at the subject.