[Archive] White Dwarf going monthly again

Grimstonefire:

For those not following this, yes they’ve finally conceded defeat over a stupid idea and are going back to monthly.

I’ll see what reviews are like, but I may start reading it again.

I’ve been fondly admiring my collection that runs from about #200 to #320 or something like that. The golden era.

Abecedar:

I have a similar old collection with quite a few from the 100’s. And I’ve never bothered at all with the new ones.

Grimbold Blackhammer:

I only read White Dwarf for the fantasy battle reports and the painting tutorials. So unless they have some freak’n amazing painting tutorials…

Skink:

I allow myself to be tentatively positive with this. I like what GW has been doing over the course of the last year.

Abecedar:

I only read White Dwarf for the fantasy battle reports and the painting tutorials. So unless they have some freak'n amazing painting tutorials...

Grimbold Blackhammer
That sums it up for me too

Admiral:

I’ll give the first issue(s) a try. It’s been 10 years now without a proper White Dwarf with lots of content. I want to see all the background articles and stories, the conversion tutorials and painting articles, the campaigns and rules and designer’s notes, the previews and the interviews. And the battle reports, too. All that which has been missed since the Giant issue 316 or thereabouts. Two-three issues before that, the magazine was brimming with content, including barrow VC army list, Fatty Bolger’s escape, Hellpit army list and so on. By the Giant issue, the Index Xenos article on the Vespids turned out to be pitifully short and lacking, and that was probably the best part of the magazine…

I was much more of a tightwad when I was younger, yet even I gladly paid up at a monthly basis for the good White Dwarf back then. Fingers crossed for the relaunch.

Bitterman:

I have a full collection of every monthly White Dwarf, from #1 onwards. It was rubbish towards the end, and when it went weekly, I stopped bothering. A crappy magazine through my letterbox once a month was tolerable, even if I just flicked through it - it was only £3 a month on Direct Debit. A crappy magazine four times a month (at three times the total price) which, in the beginning at least, required travelling to a GW store to buy it, was not tolerable at all. Not even close.

I’m actually quite excited that it’s going monthly again - and more to the point, they’re promising it will contain actual content, like ‘Eavy Metal Masterclasses and Designers’ Notes, not just adverts for the new stuff. (I know that really it’s all just adverts, but there’s no reason for them to treat us like idiots; book reviews, for example, which strangely all seemed to conclude that the book was amazing and I should buy it immediately… ugh. I kept waiting and waiting for a review to say, “this book was so bad my eyeballs started bleeding - avoid at all costs” but for some reason they never did. So why pretend it’s a review at all? Just call it an advert and be honest about it, instead of lying to your readers).

White Dwarf was, once upon a time, actually good, and I will be very pleased indeed if it will be good again. It sounds promising…?

zobo1942:

I’ll take a look at it. I am tired of rereading my old issues - some good new ones would be nice.

ashur:

I still read the old ones with tears in my eyes. All the damn nostalgia for the best years of Warhammer. Culminating for me in the days of the Storm of Chaos campaign.

I hope they go back to the background, army list and conversions articles that made White Dwarf worth reading.

Firehammer:

More details by Lady Atia:

First monthly white dwarf has the new Khârn in it (leaning forward charging).

Also a campaign type book with new rules for Chaos Space Marines. It’s not a new Codex, but does have cool new rules.

Also included is the new Deathwatch Codex with Artemis Model and the new flyer for them. Looks like a mix between a tau and imperial flyer."

As always, take it with a tiny bit of salt but that one is usually pretty spot on =)

(…)

yeah, plastic Khârn

-Is it going to be Khorne exclusive or all factions?

I think everyone will be happy

If it gives me new formations and ways to play my CSM differently I will be happy

Thumbs Up

Also some new psychic powers …

Honestly it’s the best we have 'till 8th hits - we wanna use these Chaos Marines for the last days of Humanity

Geist:

White Dwarf Mag. is dead to me, it died when GW got lazy and stupid and decided that bat reps where best done by skimming on the detials.

The fast loose sloppy bat reps that became the staple of the Mag just filled me with utter contempt and loathing. I loved sitting down and reading a full proper bat rep where every die roll every move was debated and gone over in loving detial. Because it was all about the game and not selling million dollar toys. White Dwarf needs to die in a flaming fire. GW killed the game I loved and now they can rot.

GW is dead long live the KING (of WAR).

Dînadan:

Calm down Geist - how do you know that the new monthly WD won’t be going back to the old style and having actual content rather than being a glorified catalogue.

Thommy H:

Battle reports are boring. Always the thing I skimmed, whatever the era.

There, I said it.

Malorndk:

I do not think that it is Geist’s point. I think he would not care if White Dwarf became better than ever, because he hate GW and everything it stands for, due to the money grab, player treatment and death of his beloved game. I understand his feelings completely, but I can not continue to stay negative, as it will not accomplish anything at all. Geist is free to be mad and share his annoyance with us in my opinion, as long as it do not result in a needlessly aggressive and negative atmosphere on these forums. He is far from that line, and I’m sure the mods will warn him if he oversteps the bounds that is tolerable on CDO :slight_smile:

Thommy H:

Yeah, I know what his point was.

Dînadan:

Yeah, I know what his point was.

Thommy H
I think he was talking to me regarding my comment for Geist to calm down and wait to see what the new WD is like rather than trashing it based on the abysmal showing of previous WDs.

Admiral:

Indeed, the horse isn’t dead yet so don’t try to bury it. The same goes for GW management in general. Things can change…

There were a few battle reports that I enjoyed very much at the start of my warhammer hobbying, around the Eye of Terror-Storm of Chaos campaigns. One pitted lizardmen against Skaven with a failed Brass Orb trick, another Bretonnia against Tomb Kings, and there were a few others. Very good reads, and particularly since I elsewise found almost all battlereports (bar fluff boxes) written both before and after something of a chore to wade through. The ones I found engrossing were not only down to lots of details, but surely also down to good writers/players.

The wonder of the old/golden age/worth buying WD was that it contained something for everyone, more or less. Rules, battle reports and tacticas were only lesser objects of interest to me, while background, design notes, campaigns, army showcase and painting/modelling workshops were very much my cup of tea. Someone more into battle reports or rules and less into fiction and modelling would nevertheless be just about as pleased by the magazine since its content was that broad.

While one can’t expect it after so many years of expensive catalogues, it’s still fingers crossed for the restarting of a good White Dwarf. :slight_smile:

Thommy H:

The wonder of the old/golden age/worth buying WD was that its era almost exactly coincides with the time when whoever is doing the telling first started in the hobby. It’s weird how that works. Like how all the best music came out when you were 18.

Skink:

White Dwarf is going monthly again. Good/bad, we got everybody’s point. Let’s move on with the conversation, although I suspect that everything has been already said.

Admiral:

Not exactly all.

I’ve come across White Dwarfs almost as old as I am, and they too contained lots of varied quality content that was easy to enjoy, including for games long since out of production. You could spot some ebb and tide in quality at places (in hindsight I happened to enter during one such peak, in the latter days of Paul Savyer’s editorship), but everything fluctuated on a relatively high level compared with WDs from the last 10 years. There was a proven drop in quality starting with the infamous Giant issue (which can even be quantized in counting the words and even pages devoted to background articles in particular, without even rating the background itself), as any survey one undertakes with WD readers will reveal. Try asking about it with any handful of long-time WD readers, and the same pattern will pop up again and again. Nostalgia doesn’t factor into this. And indeed I certainly don’t think the best music came out when I was 18. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

That should be all for my part.