[Archive] White Dwarf Presents: Chaos Dwarfs(1)

EuphoricMelody:

Hi,

Does anyone know what’s inside this book and roughly how many pages there are? I was thinking of buying a copy, but i don’t know how the rules for CD’s in there compare to the current Revening Hordes .PDF.

Thorgar:

Hi,

Does anyone know what's inside this book and roughly how many pages there are? I was thinking of buying a copy, but i don't know how the rules for CD's in there compare to the current Revening Hordes .PDF.

EuphoricMelody
it has about 80-90pages, has an armly list(im not sure about the rules, as I dont play WHFB ) it also has lots of cool pics of the whole big hat Chaos Dwarf miniatures in metal and painted, neat backround info, its definately a good book, but I am not sure if its worth 50 bucks.

Willmark:

78 pages and its awesome. I traded two shirts for a mint copy!

Swissdictator:

I traded a couple Minotaurs for it, and have not regretted it one bit.

It’s an amazing book, with some nice fluff and art in it too.

Auretious Taak:

Yeah, I’d trade something epic for one, I’m still regretting getting realms of Chaos over This book many years back when I had the chance.

Oh, and BOO!

Auretious Taak.

Swissdictator:

Welcome back Taak, your sabbatical was noticed.

It also has a nice battle report, and fluff for it, for a CD vs HE battle. The scenario could easily be modified to work these days. The old magic cards if I remember correctly (I’m to lazy to go look right now). Examples of a lot of our figures painted too.

Kera foehunter:

if you can get a copy please!! it a great book to add to your cd collection

Tarrakk Blackhand:

Only thing is that you’ll also need the RH rules to play the CD’s because the book has outdated stats in it. However, for the whole “Fluff and Photos” element, it’s a winner!

two_heads_talking:

the Chaos Dwarf Presents is basically only good for fluff anymore. I’d still suggest you get a copy, as it gives you great insight into the nast little cousins of the current dwarffs…

Tarrakk Blackhand:

Doesn’t it also give the Blunderbuss rules and Warmachine rules as well…or at least explain them somewhat better than the RH sheet?

two_heads_talking:

Doesn't it also give the Blunderbuss rules and Warmachine rules as well...or at least explain them somewhat better than the RH sheet?

Tarrakk Blackhand
the RH rules are the most current and therefore the only ones that can be used. The blunderbuss rules in the CD book are actually completely different. And many of the warmachines weren't in the CD book..

Tarrakk Blackhand:

Ok. I’ll have a look at my copy today.

Thommy H:

The rules are for 4th/5th Edition. The Ravening Hordes rules replaces every rule in WD presents: CD wholesale, but the book is worth having because it’s the only real source of background for the Chaos Dwarfs. Get it if you can, but be aware of what it is.

wallacer:

Many of the warmachines were actually in the old Slaves to Darkness Chaos book (when CD could be used with what would now be called a Warriors of Chaos army).

Most of the book is just a compilation of White Dwarf articles, so is not really an “army book” in the sense that most people would understand it, although it serves the same purpose (or did, when it was current).

It is interesting to read, but as others have pointed out the rules in it are no longer current, so buy it only for interests sake (and even then probably only if you can pick it up at a reasonable price)

dedwrekka:

Many of the warmachines were actually in the old Slaves to Darkness Chaos book (when CD could be used with what would now be called a Warriors of Chaos army).

Most of the book is just a compilation of White Dwarf articles, so is not really an "army book" in the sense that most people would understand it, although it serves the same purpose (or did, when it was current).

It is interesting to read, but as others have pointed out the rules in it are no longer current, so buy it only for interests sake (and even then probably only if you can pick it up at a reasonable price)

wallacer
Which was actually my problem when perusing it. I've been able to get a few peeks at it, and, without something to make comparisons with, most of the stats in there are gibberish to me. Which is sad as they probably provide a good insight of their own as to the strength, leadership, and skills of the chaos dwarfs and their units.

Hobgoblyn:

Which was actually my problem when perusing it. I've been able to get a few peeks at it, and, without something to make comparisons with, most of the stats in there are gibberish to me. Which is sad as they probably provide a good insight of their own as to the strength, leadership, and skills of the chaos dwarfs and their units.

dedwrekka
Have you played Warhammer at all?...
The fundamental stats of the units have not changed really at all since 4th edition. WS3 is still WS3, T4 is still T4-- these things have been static. BS now cap out at a lower level than in previous editions, but that's about the only thing that would change in terms of stats.
Squad sizes are about the same, equipment options really haven't changed too much (what certain equipment options do has, but that's about it)
The rule changes have been in army composition and some relatively minor peripheral rules that don't tend to be covered in rulebooks regardless.

This is sort of what happens when you have a game where you expect the main rules to change, but only update a single army set at a time expecting even the oldest of them to be fundamentally current even whilest the newest ones are being launched.
If the base rules and all armies were updated at once, you could expect wide-spread fundamentally sweeping changes in a single edition, instead, even 3 editions later, the vast bulk of the game has remained entirely the same.

Swissdictator:

Hobgoblyn:

Actually in some of the older editions they do have some different stats including Int, Cl, WP… as I assume he’s referring to Slaves of Darkness, which did have some extra stats they don’t have today. I may or may not have missed a stat… but that’s what I saw having just checked the book.

I figure Int is Intelligence, and WP is Will Power, but I have no idea what Cl is… or how the three have an impact on the game.

Tarrakk Blackhand:

Yeah…the Goblins in it were counted in the 1/2 points!

However, I was looking at the rules reguarding the Death Rocket and the old rules say that the missle could randomly launch and re-launch itself if it was a “dud” on a 4, 5, or 6 missfire. To keep randomly rolling for it until it exploded.

The new rules don’t let you do that. It has to deflect somewhere on the misfire and end up off target. They removed the “Wildness” of it all.

The pics and fluff are great, but the rules are out the window!

Do you think that GW could just update this book as the majority of it hasn’t really changed much, just the stats?

GRNDL:

@Swiss

Cl was “Cool”, which reflected how panicky a unit was. It was obviously dropped in favour of Leadership as a universal measure of panic-resistance/psychological vulnerability.

Wp (Willpower) was generally used as a save vs magic, resisting daemonic weapons/exerting control over same, resisting instability for daemons/undead, etc.

Int (Intelligence) for casting spells properly, recovering from stupidity/psychology rules.

Can’t really remember much else.

snowblizz:

@Swiss

Cl was "Cool", which reflected how panicky a unit was.  It was obviously dropped in favour of Leadership as a universal measure of panic-resistance/psychological vulnerability.  

Wp (Willpower) was generally used as a save vs magic, resisting daemonic weapons/exerting control over same, resisting instability for daemons/undead, etc.

Int (Intelligence) for casting spells properly, recovering from stupidity/psychology rules.

Can't really remember much else.

GRNDL
I think it was "Intellect" but its hardly important...
You got it nailed though, that's the 3 stats and they were all bunched into a Ld stat around 4th I think.

The earlier editions had letters instead of toughness, but that's before even Slaves to Darkness.