[Archive] Who knows THIS miniature? (said to be a rare 3rd ed.�?�)

Borador:

link to what is said to be a 3rd ed CD standard bearer

Anyone knows this model?

Cheers,

Borador

Thommy H:

I don’t see it on the relevant wiki page. Also, the curled beards thing dates from 4th Edition - it’s an Assyrian reference, and Chaos Dwarfs weren’t Assyrian before the big hats, so nothing about this model makes sense.

Borador:

That’s what I thought too.

Seemed quite odd to me as he has a curly beard but one of those prussian spikes on his head/helmet. Also, couldn’t find anything about this miniature under Chaos Squats either…

Very odd!

Thommy H:

It’s probably non-GW. I’m not sure who’d have made it though.

Borador:

Yeah probably. Weird that it’s listed as a citadel model by the seller. Will send him a question about it :wink:

Borador:

Contacted the seller, let’s see what he has to say about this.

snowblizz:

Bugman’s Ranger standard IIRC. Old old version. Going to go confirm that now.

It’s a GW dwarf though. Not a CD. Marauders series I think.

I actually got one in a bitz pack recently and a friend of mine has had a few over the years.

Edit: He’s pictured here among Bugman’s but there’s also another one in another place. Maybe an old old old version. (Yup, this is form the first slotta base version)
http://www.solegends.com/citrr/rrd01bugmans.htm

Borador:

Woah that’s some knowledge of old mini’s you got there.

Thanks for sorting it out! (:

Thommy H:

That’s a bit mad, and interesting that GW had a go at that kind of beard on something totally different before it became a signature of the Chaos Dwarfs.

snowblizz:

Woah that's some knowledge of old mini's you got there.

Thanks for sorting it out! (:

Borador
And for originally an elf player to boot!

Always a pleasure to help the beardlings.

Friend of mine is a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge Dwarf aficionado (and he has a pretty keen interest in them too) so I've at some point or another been exposed to most things Dwarf.

Not the super super rare (un)released stuff, but he has fairly extensively of the old stuff.

Found the catalogue page:
http://www.solegends.com/citcat88/0312dwfsets.htm
Same page as Chaos Dwarf petards and bazooka. Who don't have curly beards. Fancy that.

cornixt:

That's a bit mad, and interesting that GW had a go at that kind of beard on something totally different before it became a signature of the Chaos Dwarfs.

Thommy H
There's one other old GW Dwarf model with the same beard, I forget which specific range it was in though.

Blue in VT:

Yep standard bearer from the 2nd version of Bugman’s rangers…one of the first box sets of GW figures that I ever bought.  The other “vanilla” dwarf that comes to mind with a coiled beard is a guy named Snorri…he is pointing off to one side with a big hammer on the other shoulder…I’ll see if I can track down a picture

I do feel obligated to mention that there was one Chaos Dwarf with a coiled bearded before the big hats…a MM90 none the less…this guy…who is a real bad ass IMO…I need to finish his shield though.

Cheers,

Blue

Abecedar:

B…y Hell. That’s another one I really want to get now. When will it ever end?

Borador:

Thanks all for the info!

Just shows how helpful a forum like this is.

But on that bugman’s standard bearer; he could be a good CD command miniature (for a 3rd ed regiment) if painted the right way I think!

Blue in VT:

But on that bugman's standard bearer; he could be a good CD command miniature (for a 3rd ed regiment) if painted the right way I think!

Borador
I agree...he could easily work with some old school CDs...in fact I'm pretty sure I've seen him painted up with 3rd edition CDs before...I just can't figure out where.

BTW here is a link to the other vanilla dwarf with the coiled beard I was talking about...he is in the engineer group from the 80's

http://www.stunties.com/wiki/images/1/19/31102.jpg

Cheers,

Blue

Borador:

@ blue

Ah nice mini, that 80’s engineer. Now that I see him, I sort off remember seeing him before (somewhere in a misty past ;P)

The seller of this auction replied to my question like every other seller would; he stated that “he does not know that much about classic mini’s” and that “it didn’t match with his imperial dwarfs, so he just listed it as CD”.

I must say that this wrongly listed guy did make me add another mini to my CD wants list, as I really need one of those as a standard bearer, as soon as I’ve painted up all my unpainted CDs (:

Threadbare:

There are quite a few of the old citadel norse dwarfs with the coiled beard. Always thought that if you were to paint them the same as the rest of your army that they would fit right in. Some examples…

Hashut’s Blessing:

If I’d have seen this before it’d been said, I’d have said Dwarf not Chaos Dwarf.

dncswlf:

Yup, that guy is a vanilla dwarf: original bugman’s, but I have him as my CD crossbow unit standard bearer… I think yeesh, my guys have been in boxes for months now I’ve forgotten what they all looked like ha! I’d say he’s perfect for 3rd ed look CD…