[Archive] Why are my forgeworld minis so slick?

inkpwn:

So, just got back to my hotel from warhammer world/bugmans (I’m here for the NAF champs) and I decided to take a slap to the wallet and buy the massive and sexy warhammer forge chaos rulebook(If somone could point me towards a strategy thread I would really appreciate that) and some chaos dwarfs.

My hellsmiths are fine but my three command minis are really oily and slick, is this part of the casting process and will it come off with soapy water?

It’s as if my minis have a coating of WD40.

CopperPot:

I clean mine in warm soapy water and give them a light brush with an old toothbrush.

I’ve had some like it and some not but always clean them I believe it’s the resin release spray they use.

Bitterman:

Yes, it’s the release agent for getting the models out of the mold without sticking or tearing. It doesn’t affect every batch because they’ll spray on some release agent, cast several sets of models, spray some more on, cast several more sets of models… so how much gets onto any given model depends when it was cast.

Always, always wash your resin models in warm soapy water. I almost always do, but didn’t on my Siege Giant because I didn’t notice any slickness and was in a hurry, then found the primer was peeling off and I had to get very creative with mixing glue and paint to reundercoat to rectify the problem. (Thus taking longer than if I’d just washed it in the first place, of course).

Marduk:

Yes, it's the release agent for getting the models out of the mold without sticking or tearing. It doesn't affect every batch because they'll spray on some release agent, cast several sets of models, spray some more on, cast several more sets of models... so how much gets onto any given model depends when it was cast.

Always, always wash your resin models in warm soapy water. I almost always do, but didn't on my Siege Giant because I didn't notice any slickness and was in a hurry, then found the primer was peeling off and I had to get very creative with mixing glue and paint to reundercoat to rectify the problem. (Thus taking longer than if I'd just washed it in the first place, of course).

Bitterman
Now I am worried. I built my Taurus and my Iron Daemon in a hurry without washing them. The Iron Daemon is already coated. What should I do before I carry on painting?

Grimstonefire:

I found this on some FW products before, after I had undercoated.

It should be faily easy to work out if it will be a problem, just mix some watered down black and paint over the whole thing.  Anywhere the paint refuses to stay on you’ll have to get an old toothbrush out and scrub it hard with warm water.

On the IG models I just kept painting it again and again, but it was less than ideal.

I haven’t actually washed any of my FW warmachines, but cinderbreath will need a wash.

inkpwn:

So, just got back to my hotel from warhammer world/bugmans (I’m here for the NAF champs) and I decided to take a slap to the wallet and buy the massive and sexy warhammer forge chaos rulebook(If somone could point me towards a strategy thread I would really appreciate that) and some chaos dwarfs.

My hellsmiths are fine but my three command minis are really oily and slick, is this part of the casting process and will it come off with soapy water?

It’s as if my minis have a coating of WD40.

Marduk:

Well, I’ll cross my fingers for the Iron Daemon and I’ll dip the taurus in soaped water before coating.

CopperPot:

I clean mine in warm soapy water and give them a light brush with an old toothbrush.

I’ve had some like it and some not but always clean them I believe it’s the resin release spray they use.

Bitterman:

Yes, it’s the release agent for getting the models out of the mold without sticking or tearing. It doesn’t affect every batch because they’ll spray on some release agent, cast several sets of models, spray some more on, cast several more sets of models… so how much gets onto any given model depends when it was cast.

Always, always wash your resin models in warm soapy water. I almost always do, but didn’t on my Siege Giant because I didn’t notice any slickness and was in a hurry, then found the primer was peeling off and I had to get very creative with mixing glue and paint to reundercoat to rectify the problem. (Thus taking longer than if I’d just washed it in the first place, of course).

Naagruz:

I give all my FW resin a short bath in Simple Green to get rid of any oils before rinsing with water. It works great and I’ve never had any issues with paint adhering after that process.

Marduk:

Yes, it's the release agent for getting the models out of the mold without sticking or tearing. It doesn't affect every batch because they'll spray on some release agent, cast several sets of models, spray some more on, cast several more sets of models... so how much gets onto any given model depends when it was cast.

Always, always wash your resin models in warm soapy water. I almost always do, but didn't on my Siege Giant because I didn't notice any slickness and was in a hurry, then found the primer was peeling off and I had to get very creative with mixing glue and paint to reundercoat to rectify the problem. (Thus taking longer than if I'd just washed it in the first place, of course).

Bitterman
Now I am worried. I built my Taurus and my Iron Daemon in a hurry without washing them. The Iron Daemon is already coated. What should I do before I carry on painting?

Grimstonefire:

I found this on some FW products before, after I had undercoated.

It should be faily easy to work out if it will be a problem, just mix some watered down black and paint over the whole thing.  Anywhere the paint refuses to stay on you’ll have to get an old toothbrush out and scrub it hard with warm water.

On the IG models I just kept painting it again and again, but it was less than ideal.

I haven’t actually washed any of my FW warmachines, but cinderbreath will need a wash.

Marduk:

Well, I’ll cross my fingers for the Iron Daemon and I’ll dip the taurus in soaped water before coating.

Bitterman:

Well, I'll cross my fingers for the Iron Daemon and I'll dip the taurus in soaped water before coating.

Marduk
Probably the best bet, yes.

For my Siege Giant, where I found that as soon as I applied any paint to certain areas of it the primer peeled off, it was of course too late to wash (as the release agent was underneath the primer). I ended up painting those areas with a mix of PVA and paint, and where that failed too, I painted a layer of superglue to the affected areas and was then able to paint on top of that. I got away with it because none of the affected areas were particularly detailed, that wouldn't be a great idea on a highly detailed part.

Don't panic just yet, not every resin model will suffer from this so there's every chance you'll get away with it. But in future I always recommend hot soapy water, just in case.

Naagruz:

I give all my FW resin a short bath in Simple Green to get rid of any oils before rinsing with water. It works great and I’ve never had any issues with paint adhering after that process.

Abecedar:

Got caught out with my first FW item, the iron daemon. Put most of it together before washing and missed lots inside areas the toothbrush couldn’t reach. Later all these pieces of primer just flaked away. repairing wasn’t pretty. Then I read the FW website on the stuff.

It’s a male thing, so I’m told. read instructions last, read maps once lost, you know that sort of thing.

(Never forget, Don’t admit it!!).

Bitterman:

Well, I'll cross my fingers for the Iron Daemon and I'll dip the taurus in soaped water before coating.

Marduk
Probably the best bet, yes.

For my Siege Giant, where I found that as soon as I applied any paint to certain areas of it the primer peeled off, it was of course too late to wash (as the release agent was underneath the primer). I ended up painting those areas with a mix of PVA and paint, and where that failed too, I painted a layer of superglue to the affected areas and was then able to paint on top of that. I got away with it because none of the affected areas were particularly detailed, that wouldn't be a great idea on a highly detailed part.

Don't panic just yet, not every resin model will suffer from this so there's every chance you'll get away with it. But in future I always recommend hot soapy water, just in case.

Abecedar:

Got caught out with my first FW item, the iron daemon. Put most of it together before washing and missed lots inside areas the toothbrush couldn’t reach. Later all these pieces of primer just flaked away. repairing wasn’t pretty. Then I read the FW website on the stuff.

It’s a male thing, so I’m told. read instructions last, read maps once lost, you know that sort of thing.

(Never forget, Don’t admit it!!).

Loki:

I to have fallen foul of this on my first fw purchase but i always wash mine now, just make sure its warm water not hot as it can make the resin deform if you get it to hot, its easy to get back to the right shape but the last thing you want to be doing it reheating it to bend it back as it takes time and is not fun

Loki:

I to have fallen foul of this on my first fw purchase but i always wash mine now, just make sure its warm water not hot as it can make the resin deform if you get it to hot, its easy to get back to the right shape but the last thing you want to be doing it reheating it to bend it back as it takes time and is not fun