[Archive] Why in chaos dwarf army

Alric:

n/a…

This message was automatically appended because it was too short.

Thommy H:

There have been several topics discussing this elsewhere. I’ll summarise the issues that have come up in those:

- Minotaurs are just large beastmen. The bull aspect of them is neither fixed, nor is it in any way connected to the Hashut-esque mutations enjoyed by the Chaos Dwarfs.
- Minotaurs hold a position akin to priests in the culture of the Beastmen. It’s not clear how this would fit with Chaos Dwarf society.
- Chaos Dwarfs are probably more likely to make use of Ogres in the role you mention.

So you can do it if you want, but most people tend to think that Minotaurs don’t quite “fit”.

Alric:

Minotaurs hold a position akin to priests in the culture of the Beastmen.

Thommy H
Ive seen the stuff saying minotaurs have trophy's stacked on shrines to their battle conquest but nothing about being a priest.
Chaos Dwarfs are probably more likely to make use of Ogres in the role you mention.

Thommy H
Now would those Ogres be like the ones in the Chaos Beastmen Army or have those rules changed ?

I just thought they fill a good spot in a chaos dwarf army list and because of their similar appearence to the bull they would be a natural fit in a army with a bull taurus and bull centaurs, etc.

Thommy H:

The Ogres I included in my army closely follow the rules from the Warriors of Chaos book. This is because those Ogres have some explicit fluff about how they interact with the Chaos Dwarfs, so it seemed to make perfect sense. Since I included them, throwing in Minotaurs as well seemed pretty unnecessary.

Grimstonefire:

If minotaurs were mutant chaos dwarfs then I could see it working…  But they are just beasts.  That subtle distinction is enough for me fluffwise, but if you want to include them you should.

I might have to add a bit in my pdf about that, seeing as they are clearly bull shaped.

Narflung:

Would a bull aspected Minotaur offend Chaos Dwarfs? As in, would the CD see them as abominations?

Alric:

If minotaurs were mutant chaos dwarfs then I could see it working...  But they are just beasts.  That subtle distinction is enough for me fluffwise, but if you want to include them you should.

I might have to add a bit in my pdf about that, seeing as they are clearly bull shaped.

Grimstonefire
Would a bull aspected Minotaur offend Chaos Dwarfs? As in, would the CD see them as abominations?

Narflung
Theres plenty of support for minotaurs in the blood bowl "canon" about chaos dwarfs, as well as in the chaos dwarf wiki blood bowl team.

"Chaos Dwarfs worship the great bull god - Hashut.".....

"The greatest blessing Hashut can bestow on his followers is the form of the bull as Dwarven bodies are twisted and ripped open to form the fearsome Bull Centaurs or to become a terrifying Minotaur, both of which are frequently seen on the Chaos Dwarf teams."

Also remember traditional mythology that the minotaur is part man and part bull.
"In Greek mythology, the Minotaur (Greek: �o�'ν�Z�"α�.ρο�,, Mīn�"tauros) was a creature that was part man and part bull."

Minotaurs in Hashuts service wouldnt be just mutations but more of a gift from the god Hashut to his loyal followers.

Anyways I was thinking of how minotaurs would work really well with the RH army list and their appearence with a chaos dwarf army on the table would be cool... bull centaurs on he left , minotaurs on the right , bull taurus in the center.
:hashut

Grimstonefire:

In short I think you could include them in principle, but realistically you would have to call them something else. GW is slowly taking out all crossover units. It would be quite easy to come up with something similar.

Thommy H:

Alric, you don’t have to explain the logic of including Minotaurs. We all get it: we just disagree.

Alric:

In short I think you could include them in principle, but realistically you would have to call them something else.  GW is slowly taking out all crossover units.  It would be quite easy to come up with something similar.

Grimstonefire
Well this new direction by GW is causing a lot of unhappiness with chaos players. In looking for background on minotaur's I found that minotaur's like some others have links to all of the chaos gods, that minotaur's allegiance to a chaos god is similar to that of men in that they have no one chaos god for all minotaurs.

Thommy H:

It’s not a new direction - it’s the same direction they were going before 6th Edition. 6th was the weird one that put a load of different Chaos armies together for no good reason.

I’m not sure what them not having their own Chaos God has to do with anything either. Chaos Dwarfs are the only thing with “chaos” in their name that have their own God - everyone else worships one of the big four.

Grimstonefire:

I’ve never actually played beasts. Is frenzy the only special rule they have?

I would suggest giving them hand weapon with options for additional, great weapon and heavy armour. I’d probably give them heavy armour as standard.

Fluffwise these would be more like minatogres, as to be on 40mm (which I presume you’re aiming for) the bull part would need to be big, which means the legs couldn’t be dwarf sized.

The other alternative is to put these guys on 20mm bases and call them uber awesome rare infantry…