[Archive] Width, ranks and files in 8th edition

Willmark:

Ok stupid question as I have not played 8th: whats the optimum width and ranks for a unit of infantry. Empire if it matters.

Bolg:

Halbediers go 10 wide, if you face something to scary reform or deploy to 5 wide.

Bloodbeard:

Halbediers go 10 wide, if you face something to scary reform or deploy to 5 wide.

Bolg

Willmark:

How about 7 wide as a split?

NoisyAssassin:

Depends on what your troops are, but for non-elite troops I tend to favor either horde or 5 wide.

Bolg:

I witnessed a 40 man strong long beard ranger regiment destoryed in 1 turn yesterday. He went for the horde and ended up with a leadership of 2 after lost combat.

Bloodbeard
Well that is jusy lucky dice roling, if you are 5 wide you have about 11 attacks, his horde would have at least 3x7 (21) attacks that hit on a 3+ an wound on 2+. I assume you have a warrior priest so reroll to wound. even with a reroll we can only assume abut 6 wounds (halberd v.s. T4 not including the heavy armour save.). so the Longberds still have a +2 rank bonus agains the +3 of the halbediers. The halbediers proably charged assuming you both have a banner you only have a +2 on the combat res over the longbeards but only if they only did 6 kills with the 21 WS5 S6 attacks. So I guess you used magic or something else to reduce him to LD2 (or like I said was really lucky).

(sorry, I'm an experinced (vanilla) Dwarf player, I love 8th ed. and hordes and I kwow what a horde of Longberd rangers can do. the reason you put the hlbediers in tarpid formation when faceing scary units is to stay steadfast as long as possibe)

JMR:

I think the best tip is to remind yourself to adept to the situation and reform as needed.

…even if that usually means moving a ton of models, often removing them from their movement tray. It’s one of my greatest annoyances with Warhammer :slight_smile: