[Archive] Winter Magic?

Joshmohr:

As im sure some of you have read, GW came out with a new lore of magic- Winter magic. Dose anyone know if its official? Like, can you, for instance, Use it against others without them approving of it? Or how about in a tournament?

Ancient History:

The article specifies that you have to come into agreement with your opponent about it before the match; no idea about at tournaments - local tournaments (especially if seasonal) would be highly appropriate.

Link to article

Bassman:

Nice idea! I like it :slight_smile:

snowblizz:

As im sure some of you have read, GW came out with a new lore of magic- Winter magic. Dose anyone know if its official? Like, can you, for instance, Use it against others without them approving of it? Or how about in a tournament?

Joshmohr
GW has essentially stopped doing "expansions" like this. If it isn't in the rulebook or a armybook/codex it is unofficial and opponents consent.

Sure makes it simpler, though certainly less fun as well.

Border Reiver:

Haven’t heard about Winter Magic. Is it similar to the Lore of Ice they created for Kislev?

Ancient History:

Similar theme, but different spells. The Lore of Ice is a touch more powerful. It would be nice to have a Kislev army with Ice and Winter magic, but that would require two different wizards.

AGPO:

Only wizard in the Kislevite army is the Tzarina. Alwas thought it was a waste having the lore of Ice Magic just for her. Where can I find the winter magic rules?

Ancient History:

The link in my post, way up there.

No reason Chaos Dwarf Sorcerers can’t use the Lore of Winter, at least the ones up in the far frozen north.

cornixt:

Nice that they are doing these types of fun rules again. Bonuses based on when you are playing the game and the weather!

Joshmohr:

It says you have to agree wich wizard can use it, being that my main army is ogre kingdoms, i assumed that ogres could.

The Brain:

Only wizard in the Kislevite army is the Tzarina. Alwas thought it was a waste having the lore of Ice Magic just for her. Where can I find the winter magic rules?

AGPO
That is because when the ice magic rules were originally thought of the Perry twins were working on Models for an entire Kislev army. But when Lord of the Rings came up GW moved the twins over to that project and Kislevs got shelved. Once Storm of Chaos came up they dusted off what the Twins has done so far and threw together the allied contingent rules. The Ice Magic rules were developed to go in the army along with new models produced by the twins. Unfortunately the army was a project of theirs and nobody else had an interest in doing them in the design studio so it was left incomplete. So there was supposed to be more to the army including spell casters of some kind, along with some kind of special and rare choices, but that stuff never got off the drawing board.

BilboBaggins:

Since my Chaos Dwarfs have winter bases I might have to see if my opponents want to try these out.

Borador:

The link in my post, way up there.

No reason Chaos Dwarf Sorcerers can't use the Lore of Winter, at least the ones up in the far frozen north.

Ancient History
Unless your army lives further to the north as a colony with the main purpose of raiding the Kislevites? :P (Like mine will, thus giving me a good reason for having airplanes so they can message Zharr-Nagrund ;D) It is a cool idea, a winter magic lore.

:cheers

Ancient History:

The Chaos Dwarf stronhold of Uzkulak is the empire’s port on the Sea of Chaos; that’s way far north, and within easy raiding-distance of Kislev.

AGPO:

AGPO
That is because when the ice magic rules were originally thought of the Perry twins were working on Models for an entire Kislev army. But when Lord of the Rings came up GW moved the twins over to that project and Kislevs got shelved. Once Storm of Chaos came up they dusted off what the Twins has done so far and threw together the allied contingent rules. The Ice Magic rules were developed to go in the army along with new models produced by the twins. Unfortunately the army was a project of theirs and nobody else had an interest in doing them in the design studio so it was left incomplete. So there was supposed to be more to the army including spell casters of some kind, along with some kind of special and rare choices, but that stuff never got off the drawing board.

The Brain
Never knew that, sounds awesome though and its a real shame the project got called off. Not sure if the fact that GW were planning a Kilev army is good or bad for us - on the one hand it shows the're willing to resrrect old ranges, on the other, even Kislev was ahead of us...

Borador:

The Chaos Dwarf stronhold of Uzkulak is the empire's port on the Sea of Chaos; that's way far north, and within easy raiding-distance of Kislev.

Ancient History
Thanks for the fluff! :cheers

Bolg:

Nice spells, not to tough. Cudos to GW and anyone who uses these spells in a game.

Neil:

Similar theme, but different spells. The Lore of Ice is a touch more powerful. It would be nice to have a Kislev army with Ice and Winter magic, but that would require two different wizards.

Ancient History
Sorry for the threadomancy but if anyone is interesetd I took a Kislev army with both Lores of Magic last night. I think I prefer Winter Magic to Ice Magic. Where I play we are fairly relaxed about the rules, so I have bent the rules in the Kislev book and take a Kislev army with an Empire allied contingent (you are supposed to do it the other way around)

The Empire contingent (about 500pts in a 2500pt list) is led by a wizard, who takes Winter Magic, and I have the Tzarina as my general. It was good fun (despite losing to a dwarf gunline). You are limited with your choices, but I think with a bit of tweeking (less Kossars, more cavalry) I can pull off a win.