[Archive] WoC Rumours on Hellcannon

Grimstonefire:

From Warseer via Dakka

Hellcannon - works like the ok cannon monster. Move or shoot. Beats with handlers rules. Stats on gw website incorrect. Fires small blast. Magical. Cheaper. Gets a 5++ ward. Misfire sucks even harder.

Thommy H:

So…pretty much the same then? Most of those things are already the case.

MartyF:

From Warseer via Dakka
Hellcannon - works like the ok cannon monster. Move or shoot. Beats with handlers rules. Stats on gw website incorrect. Fires small blast. Magical. Cheaper. Gets a 5++ ward. Misfire sucks even harder.

Grimstonefire
Interesting! Although, the Ok cannon can move and fire, would be nice if the hellcannon done the same.

Thommy H:

What “ok cannon monster” is this even referring to anyway? They have a cannon pulled by a Rhinox, but nothing else in these rumours matches how that works. Do they mean the Thundertusk? That has a stone thrower attack, and is actually closer in rules-terms to the Hellcannon.

Bitterman:

The Thundertusk can move and shoot, and never misfires… so that’s almost as different to the rest of the description as the Rhinox-cannon-thing.

Either the rumour-monger isn’t really sure what he’s talking about, or it has absolutely no similarities to the OK monsters whatsoever.

Thommy H:

Both, probably.

This message was automatically appended because it was too short.

MLP:

Ha! So it’s like the OK cannon but without it’s unique rules… nothing like it at all then. I’m interested to see if the unit costs the same as the one in our list as he said it was cheaper.

Saying that you have to take these rumours lightly, there’s only a few on Warseer who seem to be regularly accurate and even they get things wrong.

By everything I’ve followed though October is looking promising for the WoC release.

thrawn:

looks good! glad to hear that, i bought a hellcannon hoping the rules would not change too much.

Far2Casual:

99% of probability that the S of the template will drop to 4, maybe even less. You will not find a single example of catapult (or catapult-like) unit that hasn’t been nerfed when their rules are rewritten for 8th ed. Catapults went from 4(8) to 3(9), scraplauncher lost his big template, mortar went from 3(6) to 2(6), rockets went from big template S5 to multiple templates S3 …

On a side note that’s why deathshriekers are broken, big template S3 for 100 points is miles above anything else with 8th ed rules.

deadlydeceiver:

On a side note that's why deathshriekers are broken, big template S3 for 100 points is miles above anything else with 8th ed rules.

Far2Casual
"Broken"...  :D
The Mortar is probably still AP for only 3/4 of a shrieker...? (Don't have the new AB )
I think "miles above" is something different...

DD

Baggronor:

The Mortar is probably still AP for only 3/4 of a shrieker...? (Don't have the new AB )
I think "miles above" is something different...
Mortar is now 120pts and Strength 2. It's also not flaming and can't choose to fire demolition shells. Deathshriekers are amazing :)

deadlydeceiver:

Whoops, looked it up again (means I looked at some current army lists) and the Mortar is 100pts. (120 is the cannon)

So we have S2(6), AP vs. S3, flaming, Option: S8 D6wounds for the same cost.

Following the rules for stone throwers I expect the S6 hit of the mortar is D6 wounds aswell…?

Yes the DS comes out on top, but not by far IMHO.

DD

Far2Casual:

Add the fact that the DS generates a panic test at the very first casualty, the fact that even if you miss you still have the weird second deviation with the small template and the central hit of the mortar is S6 D6W, instead of D8 for the DS which is actually a problem when firing at monsters or machines. With all that considered, it’s fair to admit our DS is OTT when compared to the Imperial mortar.
And on top of that, our engies makes Empire’s engies look like beginners : ours have a 2+ LoS (Empire has 4+) and can help the machines “on the fly” like Dwarves where Empire engies have to choose the machine they help before shooting.

Veshnakar:

And on top of that, our engies makes Empire's engies look like beginners : ours have a 2+ LoS (Empire has 4+) and can help the machines "on the fly" like Dwarves where Empire engies have to choose the machine they help before shooting.
I'm not going to try and justify it here, but didn't the Dwarfs teach the Empire how to use blackpowder, and to make make guns of all sizes? Would make sense to me that we are a LITTLE better at making war machines, especially considering we bind daemons to them.

Bitterman:

...the fact that even if you miss you still have the weird second deviation with the small template...

Far2Casual
A double-edged sword, this. Last time I tried using a DS, a shot scattered by a bit, not much, enough that if it was simply a template weapon it still would have hit stuff. But the central hole had missed, so it had to "correct"... and overshot, and ended up missing completely. Hardly Doom Diver awesomeness.

I don't rate the DS that highly at all. Better than a mortar if only because of the single-shot option, but even that is vastly inferior to a cannon (even though cannons are pricier nowadays).