[Archive] Word of Hashut Presents: Chaos Dwarfs

Grotsnik:

ive had an idea that the ravening hordes army list could be combined with some of the articles from word of hashut (special characters, rules development, maybe some painting guides) it cud be called Word of Hashut Presents: Chaos Dwarfs and cud be like an army book for us and available to download as a pdf on the website like woh is

cornixt:

Haha, join the queue!

Thommy H:

Yeah, this is something that’s been proposed before, with varying degrees of success. Cornixt created a coherent and attractive PDF of the list in the current style of Army Books, but the attempt by myself (and others) to supplement it with background material ran into the roadblock that no one could agree exactly what the background should be, and how far we should feel comfortable extrapolating from the meagre information we have to hand!

Willmark:

This thread is like clockwork around these parts! :wink:

Grotsnik:

im guessing thats a NO lol!!!

Baggronor:

As Thommy says, the problem is we’re never all going to agree on what we want, so it would be extremely difficult to write a CDO army list that people like and which actually works. Its kinda best to leave CDs as they are, so people can create their own visions of them :slight_smile:

cornixt:

If anyone wants to have a go at writing any of the sections then I’m happy to allow you to use my nice version of the army list itself. It won’t necessarily mean that it gets endorsed by CDO though.

Grotsnik:

im not suggesting creating a new army list but using ravening hordes and combining it with articles published in woh thats why it would be woh presents: chaos dwarves

Willmark:

There isn’t going to be agreement on that either. Interesting idea none the less.

BOGGO:

If there will never be agreement, someone should pursue the project solo, creating a coherent “book” with what’s available. Than he/she presents it, and people take it for what it is. I certainly wouldn’t feel constrained by a variation of the fluff I’ve incorporated for my own Chaos Dwarfs. I think it is a fine idea: one that should be encouraged, since it would be an asset to the community. Just sayin’…

Willmark:

Anyone is free to create any book they want, simply its a matter of a a book that CDO officially endorses that is not likely to happen.

cornixt:

Yep. CDO will happily host any armybooks written by fans and have links to them. We positively encourage anyone who wants to do such a project, as long as they understand that CDO won’t promote it as the site’s armybook.

Thommy H:

If there will never be agreement, someone should pursue the project solo, creating a coherent "book" with what's available. Than he/she presents it, and people take it for what it is. I certainly wouldn't feel constrained by a variation of the fluff I've incorporated for my own Chaos Dwarfs. I think it is a fine idea: one that should be encouraged, since it would be an asset to the community. Just sayin'...

BOGGO
And, further to what Willmark and Cornixt just said - this was actually done (by me), and the process was pursued quite some distance before disagreement created a certain amount of bad feeling brought it to a halt. It's one thing to create your own army list, or version of the existing army list, it's another to ask CDO to agree on the details and endorse it.

GRNDL:

Personally, I think that unless there is some sort of CDO presents idea, that some people might be turned away from home brewed army lists. Having a “brand name” gives it a sort of legitimacy that’s not there otherwise. Any disagreement in terms of options or fluff and so on, could be presented as alternatives to the “official” list.

Also, if a community site about CDs can’t come up with a “functional” army list and supporting fluff because it is so divided, how can GW ever see the army as a cohesive product to sell to us.

Thommy H:

Having a "brand name" gives it a sort of legitimacy that's not there otherwise. Any disagreement in terms of options or fluff and so on, could be presented as alternatives to the "official" list.
Yes, this was the logic. Since this was at the point where the Ravening Hordes PDF was on the verge of being taken down, the idea was to produce our own version of the same rules that people could refer to and, since we were doing that, throw in all the official background too. Turns out "official background" is something that's pretty hard to agree on.
Also, if a community site about CDs can't come up with a "functional" army list and supporting fluff because it is so divided, how can GW ever see the army as a cohesive product to sell to us.
I'm afraid I don't agree with this though. What we produce as a community in terms of army lists isn't going to have any effect on what GW does - they don't take submissions, and they have their own design process. Things like the Word of Hashut are good because they make it clear that there's a fanbase, and GW will only make new Chaos Dwarfs if there's a market for them. An army list endorsed by CDO isn't going to make a difference to anything though: GW won't just appropriate it for their own uses or anything.

GRNDL:

That’s not quite what I meant. GW is in the business (theoretically) of providing what people want, otherwise there is less chance people will buy it. If its this hard to come up with at least a vague idea of the target audience, then its less likely there will be a focused product that we are interested in.

Striking out in a “brand new direction” is risky and not many companies are able to do it and turn it into a success. And success is what all businesses want with every product, regardless of how good it actually is.

Thommy H:

Well, they don’t have to make everyone happy, do they? What fanbase is united? You only have to look at the reaction to any new Codex or Army Book on Warseer or another GW forum to see how widely opinions vary on the direction of any new army or product. I don’t think there’s a risk of endangering the future of Chaos Dwarfs just by not being able to agree on certain issues.

Grimstonefire:

For legal reasons this will not be happening, sorry guys and gals.

Thread and project closed.