[Archive] Word of Hashut to return?

vulcanologist:

was just wondering about the state of play of the webs best ezine? I know Willmark is taking a hiatus but is anyone else going to be holding the fort or is the job simply too mammoth?

Baggronor:

I would assume if and when Willmark returns to action, it will resume. Until then, its pretty much dead I think. Its A LOT of work.

I’m currently unable to do more than 1-2 pics a month as well :expressionless:

Willmark:

Right now the chances of me picking it back up are zero. I’m in the middle of selling my house and getting my next one built.

As far as a mammoth job… It is. If someone wants to carry it on they are free to do so.

vulcanologist:

Ah unfortunately that’s what I assumed. Thanks for letting me know. Hope the move and build goes well Willmark… That sounds a lot of work! Remember to build your new house ziggurat shaped!

Hashut’s Blessing:

If anyone wants to teach me how to make decent looking PDFs (or even just how to make them - I can make them decent after that, lol), then I’ll happily take it up!

zobo1942:

If anyone wants to teach me how to make decent looking PDFs (or even just how to make them - I can make them decent after that, lol), then I'll happily take it up!

Hashut's Blessing
You could try this free utility:

Go to http://www.primopdf.com/index.aspx and download & install 'Primopdf'.

"primopdf" will appear as a printer. Simply choose it as your printer from your application of choice, and the choose the appropriate quality setting. It will generate a pdf for you.

That's it!

Baggronor:

I can make PDFs, I just don’t have a clue about InDesign.

Remember to build your new house ziggurat shaped!
I’d like to hear what the neighbours would have to say about that. Then again, if they give you any trouble, you just enslave them for the rest of their pitiful lives. You’d be living in a ziggurat after all, you may as well go all the way.

Hashut’s Blessing:

Thanks zobo. When my hours at work are reduced, I’ll look into it more!

Not that their lives will be long - just show them their hearts before they leave this world :wink:

Nicodemus:

primopdf works great. Cutepdf is good too and gives you some measure of control over the output file size and downgrading jpgs etc.

I’ve got up-to-date versions of Adobe Illustrator, Acrobat, Photoshop, etc. etc. I don’t think we necessarily need Indesign, although it may be powerful and save a lot of time, for noobs it’s only going to take more time to learn how to do things.

Other things we need are some of the artwork and trimmings used to dress up the pages. These can be stripped out of a pdf easily enough, they just take time.

@HB I’m willing to help out on this… although given that my old laptop still has recordings for the last podcast on it I may be regarded as unreliable :stuck_out_tongue:

~N

Thorne:

Primopdf is what I use. That said my PDFs tend no to be too involved but I’m always happy to help when I have time.

G.2:

I would be happy to help out as well, but I do live in Australia. Not that I see that being a real problem. I create a variety of PDF’s for my work, which in turn get distruted to many people, and no-one has yet complained about my PDF skills. Just for the record I work in University Administration, for one of Australias largest Univsities.

I am currently working on a personal project, for a 28mm Weird World War 2 (WWWII) project. This project will involve creating a PDF book. Here is a sample page from the project.

I did this using Microsoft Word and converted into a PDF using CutePDF. Photoshop was used for the photos. This is still draft 1, but you get the idea.

zobo1942:

Regarding InDesign, it works like most high end layout tools: Draw a box. Define what goes in the box. Format the text in the box, or scale the graphic in the box. That’s it. Anything else is just moustache-ing - it just saves you from going into Photoshop to change a drop shadow. Obviously, you can make it as complicated as you want to - but, bare bones, that’s pretty much it.

I also use primopdf extensively at my job. I work in print/prepress (although, I can’t say for how much longer - everyone got laid off today, except me), and have also published a series of short fiction compilations for which I used primopdf to create the ‘master’ pdfs, and I have nothing but good things to say about it. Couple it with some pdf tools like ‘Quite Imposing’ and ‘Quite a Box of Tricks’ and you have a pretty powerful solution.

This might sound strange, but looking at the WoH, I get a distinctly ‘CorelDraw’ feeling from it. That’s not a dig… there are just some aspects of it that look like ‘CorelDraw-isms’.

What application is actually used to create it?

G.2:

Wow Zobo, you sound like the man for the job…are you putting your hand up???

I think between us all, we can mange the Webzine. I think we can have a variety of webzines…ok, ok, I am getting carried away here. But I think with the pool of talent, and the level of commitment, I don’t think that ‘The Word of Hashut’ stop being produced. I would rather have a smaller edition (as a trial run) by a new person (or team of people) rather than have nothing.

tjub:

But I think with the pool of talent, and the level of commitment, I don't think that 'The Word of Hashut' stop being produced. I would rather have a smaller edition (as a trial run) by a new person (or team of people) rather than have nothing.

G.2
I sure hope so, Id rather have a smaller and not a flashy WoH than none at all. Ive really missed it... :(

Blue in VT:

I’d love to help if possible…I have no layout skills though…I would certainly be willing to proof-read and the like.

Perhaps I could write a bit of fluff…?

Cheers,

Blue

G.2:

This is indeed a great response to people who are willing to help. Should be set up a formal-ish thread or something where people can voice their views, ideas and contribution skills. Maybe even some sort of online chat…think of it as a brainstorming session.

I am thinking a team of people would be a better spread of the responsibility and a good way to get thinks moving and people motivated.

Maybe people can list what they are good at, or at leasting willing to help out with. Just like what a few members mentioned earlier.

Baggronor:

Its nice to see the WoH won’t be allowed to die :slight_smile:

However, I feel the main reason it functioned so well before was because Willmark ruled everything with an iron fist. To quote the man himself, “Design by committee doesn’t work”. We need an overall bossman or possibly 2 bossmen with the patience to hold everything together and organise stuff, or it will likely become a shambles.

Nicodemus:

Its nice to see the WoH won't be allowed to die :)

However, I feel the main reason it functioned so well before was because Willmark ruled everything with an iron fist. To quote the man himself, "Design by committee doesn't work". We need an overall bossman or possibly 2 bossmen with the patience to hold everything together and organise stuff, or it will likely become a shambles.

Baggronor
What he said! ... iron fist. Maybe two of them.

Thommy H:

Things like this - amateur efforts of professional quality - can exist only by heroic efforts. As Baggronor points out, you need someone running the show with immense motivation and sufficient force of will and personality to make it happen. I’ve worked on big, collaborative projects like this before, for similarly little reward, and it’s unbelievably draining. In fact, it can be soul-destroying. To give up hours and hours of your free time, for something that brings in nothing more than the acclaim of a small community…I use the term “heroic” quite correctly, I think.

So I welcome the return of Word of Hashut if it happens, and I’ll try to contribute when I can but…man…this is not a responsibility to take on lightly. Anyone committing to overseeing this should be aware of what they’re getting into.

Hashut’s Blessing:

Well, I will be changing jobs soon enough (possibly to GW) and as soon as it’s made reality, I shall learn PDF-creation and layout such-like as swiftly as I can and I will run the show. But people had better damned well listen :wink: