[Archive] Wulfrik. Worth a read

Grimstonefire:

Well I’ve finished it today and I have to say I would recommend it to all CD fans. It’s got the longest story involving the dark lands/hobgoblins/CD in any book I’ve seen outside Tamurkhan/WDP:CD.

The book itself is well written overall I’d say, but the CD part (which I won’t spoil) is very characterful.

Kharnak:

Guess I missed any previews on it,

Who is the esteemed author? I hope I’m surprised!!!

bigdark:

Hit me with an analogy before I go invest in this book, please.

If I liked ________________________; then I will like Wulfrik.

If you would, please. I am curious.

Will la tete rouge:

Hit me with an analogy before I go invest in this book, please.

If I liked ________________________; then I will like Wulfrik.

If you would, please.  I am curious.

bigdark
If you liked Jane Eyre, then you will like Wulfrik.

lol, in all seriousness. It is a very well written book and once read, you look back and smile at the irony of the main plot.

The section in the Dark Lands was very exciting and I thought very respectful of the character of the chaos dwarfs and hobgoblins - (they acted in every situation as I would expect them to act if that makes sense).

It isnt a spoiler to say that the book explains the reason of Wulfrik. You work out at an early stage how he is a villian but start routing for him throughout. I would definately recommend it.

Da Crusha:

I thought wulfrik was great. it was only the second gw book I read though, first being Drachenfels, didn’t like that one.

Grimstonefire:

If I like a cunning anti-hero then I will like Wulfrik.

How’s that?

@Will

Yes, that’s how I would describe it as well.  Every thing they mentioned there from slave to BC all act exactly as I would imagine.  Of course, I was rooting for the CD throughout…!? :slight_smile:

@Kharnak
It’s CL Werner btw, who is one of their better writers imo.

bigdark:

Cunning anti-hero sells it, thank you.

Jane Eyre on the other hand…

Goltor Lintrepide:

I’m a french speaker and never had any trouble reading a black library book. Most of the time, it’s not some great piece of english literature, it’s way more simple than that. There shoudn’t be any difficulties.

Could be different this time though.

Kharnak:

I was hoping it was better than the usual GW products,

Sort of like long series of books by many authors, they all get to be the same.  

1. Readers meet Hero, setup of story.
2. Hero goes on trip, meets new friends and enemies along the way
3. Villians snare Hero in plot, it looks very bad for the good guys…
4. Hero fights free despite daunting odds and wins the day.  Loses lots of friends and villians in the process.  Yaaaay!!!

Yawn…

Sorry if I’m a bit cynical or jaded, but many books all just seem the same anymore. Like movies, Rocky Part 2, 3, 101…same old…you know!

gIL^:

I love the Horus Heresy books and i can’t get into the fantasy stuff, There’s something missing.

I can’t put my finger on it.

zobo1942:

I wasn’t thrilled with it, either. There are a couple of the ‘Black Library’ books I’ve enjoyed (ie. The Eisenhorn Trilogy) but the rest of them are… not awesome.

Grimstonefire:

@zobo and Kharnak

Purely for the CD chapter(s) would you recommend it though?  I know it’s a relatively expensive way to get just a couple of chapters on chaos dwarfs, but imo even if you think the rest of the plot is poor the chaos dwarf part is very good.

zobo1942:

I can’t really say - there was certainly nothing ‘new’ (or particularly interesting) to it. As I recall, there really isn’t any ‘character’ to the CDs - just brief descriptions, none of which stand out in my mind, accompanied with some ‘saturday-morning-cartoon-level’ action.

If the shipping weren’t so high, I’d send you my copy free of charge. I’ll never re-read it.

Da Crusha:

I would recommend it just for the CD chapter.

gIL^:

Hey, It’s Chaos Dwarf Fluff, I remember to buzz when Grudgebearer had a chapter on Chaos dwarfs, the forum burst into flames :smiley:

Maybe we were spoilt with Tamurkhan.

Grimstonefire:

It’s not a spoiler to say that I was surprised to see the CD women fighting.  I didn’t expect that.

Bald old women with their tongues cut out who fight with heavy hammers and are pretty tough. They don’t actually have a name but I suppose Harridan would be a suitable name for them (as it’s mentioned in the book and it’s an apt description if you google it).

Da Crusha:

It's not a spoiler to say that I was surprised to see the CD women fighting.  I didn't expect that.

Bald old women with their tongues cut out who fight with heavy hammers and are pretty tough.  They don't actually have a name but I suppose Harridan would be a suitable name for them (as it's mentioned in the book and it's an apt description if you google it).

Grimstonefire
hmm, I forgot about that. golden hat herridan?? naw I wouldn't even make one.

RichardC1967:

Hi Grim!

This is maybe a stupid question for you but you can possibly help me anyway.

Is it easily understandable? For me as an native German speaker.
I mean is it full of locutions and seldom used terms?

I hope you know what I mean.

I won't buy the book and then maybe have to put it unread in my bookshelf because I can't handle it.

Greetings
Herby

Herby
WTF is locutions?....:o sounds like a seldom used term to me..

gIL^:

It's not a spoiler to say that I was surprised to see the CD women fighting.  I didn't expect that.

Bald old women with their tongues cut out who fight with heavy hammers and are pretty tough.  They don't actually have a name but I suppose Harridan would be a suitable name for them (as it's mentioned in the book and it's an apt description if you google it).

Grimstonefire
Sold :hat off

Kharnak:

I’ll try to read it anyways, at least our chapter!

Borrow it from a friend at work, he picks up all the GW books. I just wish they’d reflect the fluff from the books into our army books. Read one where the Marauder cavalry had composite bows, to fight their Kislev foes.

NOT!!!

:slight_smile: