[Archive] You are wrong because

Grimstonefire:

I found this thread on warseer, and I find it quite interesting actually, so copy and paste:

You are wrong because:

1. Amazingly Bad Analogy:

Example: You can train a dog to fetch a stick, therefore you can train a potato to dance

2. Faulty Cause and Effect:

Example: On the basis of my observations, wearing huge pants makes you fat.

3. I Am the World:

Example: I don’t listen to country music. Therefore, country music isn’t popular.

4. Ignoring Everything Science Knows About the Brain:

Example: People choose to be obese/gay/alcoholic because they prefer the lifestyle.

5. The Few Are The Same As The Whole:

Example: Some Elbonians are animal rights activists. Some Elbonians wear fur coats. Therefore, Elbonians are hypocrites.

6. Generalizing From Self:

Example: I’m a liar. Therefore, I don’t believe what you’re saying.

7. Argument By Bizarre Definition:

Example: He’s not a criminal. He just does things that are against the law.

8. Total Logical Disconnect:

Example: I enjoy pasta because my house is made out of bricks.

9. Judging Things Without Comparison To Alternatives:

Example: I don’t invest in U.S. Treasury Bills. There’s too much risk.

10. Anything You Don’t Understand Is Easy To Do:

Example: If you have the right tools, how hard can it be to generate nuclear fission at home?

11. Ignorance Of All Statistics:

Example: I’m putting all my money in the lottery this week because the jackpot is so big.

12. Ignoring the Downside Risk:

Example: I know that bungee jumping could kill me, but it’s three seconds of great fun!

13. Substituting Famous Quotes For Common Sense:

Example: Remember, “All things come to those who wait.” So don’t bother looking for a job.

14. Irrelevant Comparisons:

Example: A hundred dollars is a good price for a toaster, compared to buying a Ferrari.

15. Circular Reasoning:

Example: I’m correct because I’m smarter than you. And I must be smarter than you because I’m correct.

16. Incompleteness As Proof Of Defect:

Example: Your theory of gravity doesn’t explain why there are no unicorns, therefore it must be wrong.

17. Ignoring the Advice of Experts Without a Good Reason:

Example: Sure, the experts think you shouldn’t ride your bicycle into the eye of a hurricane, but I have my own theory.

18. Following the Advice of Known Idiots:

Example: Uncle Billy says pork makes you smarter. That’s good enough for me.

19. Reaching Bizarre Conclusions Without Any Information:

Example: The car won’t start. I’m certain the spark plugs have been stolen by rogue clowns.

20. Faulty Pattern Recognition:

Example: His last six wives were murdered mysteriously. I hope to be wife number seven.

21. Failure to Recognize What’s Important:

Example: My house is on fire! Quick, call the post office and tell them to hold my mail!

22. Unclear on the Concept of Sunk Costs:

Example: We’ve spent millions in developing a water-powered pogo-stick. We can’t stop investing now, or it will all be wasted!

23. Overapplication of Occam’s Razor(which states that the simplest explanation is usually right):

Example: The simplest explanation for the moon landings is that they were hoaxes.

24. Ignoring All Anecdotal Evidence:

Example: I always get hives after eating strawberries. But without a scientifically controlled experiment, it’s not reliable data. So I continue to eat strawberries everyday, since I can’t tell that they cause hives.

25. Inability to Understand that Some Things Have Multiple Causes:

Example: The Beatles were popular for only one reason: They were good singers.

Hashut’s Blessing:

I do believe that number 21 is my favourite and I actually laughed VERY loudly at it :stuck_out_tongue: Oh dear ^^

It’s worrying how many of these have had similar examples (despite them being exaggeratedly ridiculous) in conversions/forums I’ve witnessed or been in, lol.

cornixt:

Glenn Beck seems to have worked his way through this entire list.

Thommy H:

26. Failing to make the best use of resources:

Example: TV Tropes is the only website you ever need.

Willmark:

1. You are wrong because;

You disagree with Willmark :wink:

Thorne:

This one has to be my absolute favorite !

24. Ignoring All Anecdotal Evidence:

Example: I always get hives after eating strawberries. But without a scientifically controlled experiment, it’s not reliable data. So I continue to eat strawberries everyday, since I can’t tell that they cause hives.

snowblizz:

26. Failing to make the best use of resources:
Example: TV Tropes is the only website you ever need.

Thommy H
Thanks... I just lost 2hrs just scrolling a % of a millionth of a % of the content. Again.

Thommy H:

Yes! TV Tropes Will Ruin Your Life!

snowblizz:

Yes! TV Tropes Will Ruin Your Life!

Thommy H
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Touché.

They really have thought of everything.