[Archive] Zuh-Khinie's horde of 2500pts (LoA)

Zuh-Khinie:

Greetings fellow slavemasters!

Last week I played a game against empire, and thought it would be nice to post my (winning) armylist here for you all…

First off though, I have to say that I’ve been a Bretonnia player for years now (though I’ve been collecting CD’s for quite some while). The simple point-and-click tactics that have made my bretonnians awesome since 6th made it hard for me to choose from the CD list, but having played some games with the indy-GT list this year has made me more familiar with the tactics of CD’s as a whole.

So here goes:

L&H:
Sorcerer Prophet - lvl 4 + channeling staff and blood of Hashut

Deamonsmith - lvl 1 + dispell scroll

Infernal Castellan - BSB + dawnstone + ironcurse icon + enchanted shield

Core:

24 Infernal Guard (fireglaives) - FC + banner of swiftness

15 Hoblins (2nd handweapon) - FC

15 Hoblins (2nd handweapon) - FC

Special:

29 Ironsworn - FC

Deathshrieker + hellbound

Deathshrieker + hellbound

Magma Cannon

Rare:

K’daai Destroyer

This gave me 8 points to spare (I miscalculated before the battle, and didn’t notice), so I’ll give my Prophet a potion of speed to top things off.

The Dark Castellan joins the Ironsworn, and take a flank. The other flank gets anchored by the K’daai.

The two wizards stay close to the war machines… it’s also adviseable that you  let the rockets fire first, as the misfire result is potentially much more devestating to them as it is for the magma cannon.

The Fireglaives take up centre and get flanked by the hobgoblins.

Place the K’daai on the flank you suspect to meet the least resistance, and let him make a run through the opponent’s line towards the ironsworn, and make sure he gets back-up from one of the hobgoblin units (unharmed, they confer a +3 to CR… together with the wounds caused by the K’daai, they make a hell of a team).

So, any thoughts?

Time of Madness:

You have invested in a coulpe of the more expensive options (fireglaives and ironsworn).

I really think you should re-work the castellan and the prophet. It is real easy to give both of them a 2+ save followed by the 4+ ward save.

Swiftness is a bit of a waste on the fireglaives.

I don’t think hellbound is worth it on the shriekers.

Look at combining the 2 units of hobgoblins into one unit of 30 or 35.

Time of Madness

Steve D:

Are Hob gobs min 20+?

Zuh-Khinie:

The wardsave on the prophet is only really necessary if he ever gets in combat, seeing as he gets a lookout! test within 3" of a warmachine (where he stays to use his engineer-ability), and he isn’t a great target to shoot at with normal fire…

Swiftness on the fireglaives to get them in firing range in turn 1 or 2 (depending who went first and how you deployed)

The two small units of hobgoblins are mainly there as an aid for the FG, IS or the K’daai… 2 small units (positioned correctly so they won’t get charged) give you an effective countercharge, or some extra CR when you charge them alongside the above mentioned units… I find it more versatile, but I see what you’re getting at.

That being said, the three core units as configured in my armylist are just enough to get me over the brink of 25%

The hellbound warmachines are effectively something I’m still in doubt about… the extra wound is nice, and the magical effect could well harm some undead players out there, but as said, I’m still in doubt… I also don’t really see where I can spend those 50pts effectively.

I don’t see the Ironsworn as being an expensive unit… for starters, their full command is cheaper, and they are all armed with a weapon that gives +1S, without losing the ability to use their shields. Normal infernal guard with a greatweapon only cost 2 points less, but they lose the shield and thus the wardsave in CC. Ironsworn are like ironbreakers… only better :slight_smile:

And the fireglaives give me a core shooty unit with the added strength in CC, and a good punch in the shooting phase as well. They’re better than blunderbusses by far IMO.

Zuh-Khinie:

Are Hob gobs min 20+?

Steve D
YOU SIR! ... are right :p

I know now where some of those spare points are going after I ditch my hellbound ability...

Cheers!

Zuh-Khinie:

ARMY LIST (take 2): It’s legal this time! :cheers

How I’ll field them in the future:

L&H:
Sorcerer Prophet - lvl 4 + channeling staff + blood of Hashut + stone mantle

Deamonsmith - lvl 1 + dispell scroll

Infernal Castellan - BSB + dawnstone + ironcurse icon + enchanted shield

Core:

24 Infernal Guard (fireglaives) - FC

20 Hoblins (2nd handweapon) - FC

20 Hoblins (2nd handweapon) - FC

Special:

27 Ironsworn - FC

Deathshrieker

Deathshrieker

Magma Cannon

Rare:

K’daai Destroyer

5 Hoblin Wolfriders - Musician + bow + spear  
(because, since my Bretonnian days, I just love fast cav…)

ChungEssence:

How do you run the Ironsworn?

Do you horde them?

KramDratta:

@Zuh-Khinie: Can I ask why the command option on the hobgoblins?

Zuh-Khinie:

How do you run the Ironsworn?

Do you horde them?

ChungEssence
The Ironsworn will be 7 wide and 4 deep (castellan BSB joins them). I've run a 30 strong unit before, and one of the things I noticed is that the extra rank isn't all that necessary, but the 2 extra models that can strike back at the opponent are a nice extra. That and cannons don't get to kill as many.

I know my original armylist incorporated a unit of 6x5, but tactically speaking 28, deployed 7x4, are a way better option IMO.
@Zuh-Khinie: Can I ask why the command option on the hobgoblins?

KramDratta
Firstly, because I really like the miniatures.

Secondly, the musician is there for the rally checks. It could well be that you've positioned your hobgoblins (deliberately or not) in such a fashion that they get charged... I position them in the vicinity of my fireglaives, which enures me that after they flee, I have a bigger chance that they rally and flankcharge the unit that will then most likely charge into the fireglaives.

The banner is simply there for the added CR.

The champion, I confess, is an upgrade I just bought because I have the miniatures for them.