Childhood Works of Note

During lengthy restoration work and labour that essentially amounts to moving house without switching house, I have had the pleasure of finding a creative work that I am still as proud of today, as I was when I drew and wrote it at age 9 or 10 in 1998 or 1999 A.D. Inside it, you will find hallmarks of my drawing and writing styles that holds true to this day: Heavy reliance on historical references, attention to detail, violence and due focus given to mundane aspects such as logistics and work that allows armies to function. Other enduring aspects to note is a bright use of colours, still in the same pallette for the most part.

Swedish readers may be able to detect a strong influence from the author Olov Svedelid, a fantastic writer whose historical novels for children and youngsters remain some of the very best works I’ve ever had the pleasure to read. They are even better when re-reading them today, since one picks up more details. Sadly his books have never been translated into English, because otherwise I would have recommended them warmly to foreign readers. They are grimdark to boot, and so livingly immersed into their world and era that they never break immersion by anachronisms.

The following fictive story obviously plays loose and fast with history in a playful manner. It is inspired by hearing a most brief description of Jacob De la Gardie’s campaign to Moscow (1609) during Muscovy’s Time of Troubles.

Think away the layers of practice and polish accumulated through the years, and let us see if you can recognize some of my current writing and drawing style in it:

Moscow Becomes Swedish

I am as good as dead, Axel thinks when he came over the wall around Moscow. He worms to a guard tower, but suddenly he hear steps behind him. He becomes deadly afraid but gets up the lid and climbs down a ladder. He opens the door to the tower but sees cavalrymen and hides behind a cannon. One of the riders have a smoking pipe but burns himself on it. He throws away the pipe, but hits the fuse of the cannon which in its turn is lit.

A violent sound is heard and the a great hole takes shape in the wall.

Axel walks toward the Czar’s palace. He has heard that the roof is full of gold, platinum and expensive tile and marble. He gets a tug around the shoulder, when he turns around he sees a Swedish Carolean.

The Carolean shows a shortcut to the palace.

But the way is long, and rats bite Axel in the foot. Now he sees the palace, I think I’m fainting, thinks Axel. Now he hears a sound, oh no reinforcements for the Russians!

I must stop them, thinks Axel. Axel knows why we Swedes go on the attack so quickly.

It is because the last Czar of the viking line Rurik has died, and that is why there is civil war in Russia. Though he cannot do else but run to the camp. He reaches the camp and a guard points his pike toward him. But immediately the guard sees that he is a Swedish bagage train farmhand.

He is going to tell his superiors that the Russians have received reinforcements.

Axel need not stop them. He hears that a non-commissioned officer says that it is only Novgorod that attacks Moscow. Axel returns to the bagage train, and starts milking cows. Suddenly he gets a cuff around the ear. He turns around and sees bagage train master Olov. The most hated person in the bagage train.

“I hate you,” said Olov.

“What have I done now then?” asked Axel.

“The soldiers want beer and not milk.” Olov went away, and Axel got to trample grapes to wine. Now attacked the Swedes’ Caroleans, and Axel watched. Now it is evening and Axel thinks on all that he had experienced today.

Do you have any notable childhood works of yours to share? Fire away!

Of possible interest to the likes of: @Jaberoo @Eisenhans @Antenor @Jackswift @Fuggit_Khan @Bloodbeard @denelian5 @tjub @Oxymandias and more still.

4 Likes

Absolutely wonderful, Hashut was obviously guiding you as prophet of creativity even in your youth.
I also wrote stories alongside artwork as a wee lad, my first attempt is captured in this very old photo from 1969 (yes, I’m damn old).

I had just finished reading the HG Wells masterpiece “War of the Worlds” and I decided to try writing and drawing a story that picked up from where the book ended…in my youthful vision the United States salvaged Martian war machines and used them to wipe out Russia.
In high school I wrote and drew a long running series of WW2 Pacific War themed comic books called “Kamikaze Chung”, they were literally made in typical comic book format, and made fun of every kid at school that I didn’t like (all of them would get decapitated, disemboweled, shit their pants etc during botched kamikaze aerial attacks).
I sold them for $1 each and it financed me so well that I didn’t bother looking for an after school job like other kids.
One particular asshole that I didn’t like would always get killed in every issue, just to come back to die again in the next issue (kinda like Kenny in South Park, only I thought of it decades before them).
The issue where he died from electrocution after trying to stick his penis in a electric wall outlet was my favorite, and became the long running joke at school, as well as the most requested issue for reprint.
Obviously he hated the comic books, and he avoided me at all costs because I would quote him in upcoming stories.
One of my high school friends still has the entire run, and eventually he’ll get them scanned for me.

3 Likes

Oh by the bull god, that’s gold! The Khan of Khans mastered the art of the sharp tongue and sharpened pen even at an early age (nowadays he’s a roasting master at it, but his exalted deeds are too hot to share on CDO). We must have the entire series up here once your high school friend scans it. :smiley:

We need it!

And age is just a number. At heart, I’m not a day older than 12. People often think I’m way younger than my age when they see me, and when they read my writing or see my drawings they often assume I’m more than a tad ancient. I was once even asked on Devianatart if I was one of the original artists behind 40k: Rogue Trader (released 1987), which was kind but also fun, since I’m a couple of years younger than that tome.

By the way, people’s kids’ works of note are of course also welcome here: Bring them in if you like!

2 Likes