Comparing scale for different STLs

The confusion is understandable.

So:
LKM ran an Indigogo campaign in 2017

At that time, they 3D-modelled the models on the PC, printed the masters and then moulded and cast them with resin. I have almost all my stock from that crowdfunding campaign.

The models are all already bigger than the GW models (see picture).

The model no. 3 is a character and they are designed later and mostly a bit bigger than the standard models.

To make it short.

If you want to put the LKM on the standard 20mm square base and if you want them to be in the 28mm standard, you have to print all models to about 84-88% of the original size.
A well-known one even prints only at 80%.

2 Likes

Alright, so both your BC do have effectively different scale as suspected?
Does this “designed later” also go for STLs from different times, or just crowdfunded minis vs. STLs?

And what is this well-known one?

So the models (no. 2 and 3) are all original size. Should you now use the files and print them directly and unchanged in size, the models come out in the same proportion as my examples come out.

What I wanted to say, the BC Hero
Is simply bigger than the standard BC.

An well-known is probably wrong
translated by me into English. Sorry please.

I meant a friend here with me, who
printed the LKM dwarves

1 Like

Alright, I get it now, thx. ^^

But would your Bull Centaurs, even excluding the hero, fit into a regiment with a 125 mm front for 5 models?
I saw them printed for a KoW project, there they were only 4 in a rank (which is alright for KoW, but…).

Ah, so you mean well-known to you, not on the internet and thus with no pictures to link online?

There also is another question I had concerning the scale increase at LK over the years,
is “Immortal Guard” (the green printed unit @steamblood shows above) bigger than their “Big Hats Elite Guard” or same?

The bull centaur unit fits very badly into a closed formation, in principle none of the LKM units really fit well into the base envisaged by GW or Warhammer Fantasy.

Accordingly, I have made myself such a collection base:

And yes, unfortunately the Immortals are even bigger…

6 Likes

Oh, interesting!
Glad I asked, could have become expensive if I ordered an entire unit in the wrong scaling. ^^"

From what I read from your photo, the Immortal has 14 % higher an eye level than the Death Guard model. Or, the other way around, the guardian 87 % of the Immortal. This very much resembles the difference between 28 and 32 mm scale. But your guardians are too big for the bases already, or are the the minis you showed above being a bit smaller than Forgeworld’s and shouldn’t be reduced even more?
(And you are sure they are 100 % if printed from today’s STL files?)

1 Like

This has been very helpful, as I get ready to print the LK line. I have printed enough minis, so that I have stock figures I use in Chitubox to scale them properly, and when in doubt, I just pull out the ruler and measure up to the eyes and adjust that way. There is a scaler with height you can grab an STL for so you have a ruler right in your slicer, or the manipulation software.

I think I will actually digitally put them together and print them whole instead of gluing them, as those joins do scale, but usually distort out of Z axis and I don’t like dealing with gaps anymore!

Latest results from test prints (by my etsy seller) for looking best next to FW and RA (~30 mm scale) were:
Warriors (Bigats, Deathguard and whatever they are called) in 95 % and Immortals in 92 %.

And yes, and Bessron’s photo above the size difference looks more significant, so no idea, but this is the numbers I got.