Confirmation & Password Reset Email Issue

At the moment, we seem to be having an issue with E-mails failing to send, when confirming new registrations and changing passwords. Our tech-overlord @Xander is on the case with its legwork, and is contacting our host about it.

With Discourse, you can’t have manual password setting: It’s a security feature, so the usual quick manual reset in admin control panel is not a fix available for us.

The issue may be that host/server block emails once a certain threshold is reached. If that is the case, then our host will be asked to increase this threshold. In any case, this issue will hopefully be resolved quickly. Those who don’t receive confirmation and password reset E-mails may wish to try again in a few days, and again in a few days after that. Please be patient.

We’ll inform you as soon as the issue is resolved.

The Staff

3 Likes

We’re still pending server host response. We’ll post here as soon as we know anything more.

A number of people have been left hanging when trying to register, and a couple of members have been locked out when requesting reset password (one of them a Staff member). E-mails are not sent, and we can’t do manual resets. This need to be solved as soon as possible.

As before, it’s advisable to try again in a few days, and then again in a few days after that, in case things have started working in silence. Please hang in there.

The Staff

2 Likes

Installing a new update did not work. Our Daemonsmith @Xander is trying out another solution. We’ll report back as soon as we know anything more. Fingers crossed.

The Staff

1 Like

On that note, if people ask in the Facebook group, what’s our current solve, please?

The damn pickle is that there is no solution at the moment. The standard old manual reset of passwords in Admin CP proved to be unavailable in Discourse, as a security feature. Xander has been making another push at this today, but I’m not in the know about the technicalities.

This came as an unexpected wart. Discourse has by and large worked fine up until this issue appeared, and its mobile friendliness (without sacrificing forum structure) and direct image upload have been critical in drawing in both old and new members to reinvigorate CDO. I really hope this critical flaw can be ironed out permanently, otherwise we’ll be forced to search for other alternatives.

Fingers crossed!

3 Likes

Some progress: Our tech-overlord Daemonsmith @Xander has deleted over 180’000(!) failed E-mail sendouts. He’s looking into a solution. Turning off E-mail sendouts for topic replies may be part of it.

Thank you for your patience, let’s hope for the best.

The Staff

2 Likes

We might have a breakthrough courtesy of @Xander. Check the News section!

The Staff

2 Likes

3 Likes

@Xander @Admiral and staff…congratulations on solving the issue.

My IRL homeboy @Iceman has now been allowed entry into the gates of Zharr Nagrund after many weeks scratching at its door like a downtrodden hobgoblin!

5 Likes

Yes, big thanks to @Xander for this! Neither I or @Admiral had the tech know how sadly…

3 Likes

It was definitely a non-trivial problem to sort through and it felt like I wouldn’t be able to fix it right up until the moment that I finally had an email pop into my inbox.

It’s definitely got me thinking about miniatures a bit more. :slight_smile: I need to hustle through my current AoS projects so that I do something CD related, some Bull Centaurs or maybe a WarCry warband. I’ve some ideas percolating. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

The mail sendout problem has reared its ugly head again, due to something to do with our server host. Our Daemonsmith and overlord is on it. Fingers crossed this can all be ironed out in due time.

However, unlike last time, Discourse has released an update which finally gave us the option to manually activate accounts! This means registrations can still roll on, and we’ll check into Admin control panel to activate new members’ accounts every once in a while.

As such, if anyone has trouble registering, please check back again several times days later, or contact us via E-mail, Facebook, old CDO or via a friend registered on new Discourse CDO. We are not as stranded as last time.

The wheels of industry grinds on by sweat and blood of slaves!

The Staff

2 Likes

Hello,
I just posted some pics of my newly painted army. When I want to post more pics of newly painted figures, do I add on to my original topic or do I start a new thread? I have never been a part of a forum, so I wanted to check on etiquette.
Thanks!

2 Likes

Start your own thread in the showcase section and do a blog! Welcome to cdo :28:
I see you have already. Just reply in your thread to update

2 Likes

Keep adding to the same thread, take a gander at the other blogs here to get an idea. :wink:

2 Likes

Thank you!