Cornixt's Adventures in 3D Printing

Exactly - you’re testing a single element out here, which is the scanning process. Materials and printer settings are both different things to find the balance of, not to mention clean up and colouring. And it’s taught newcomers to not print white/on standard/etc.

1 Like

@cornixt - thought you may be interested in something my dad has been doing this week…

He says he’s got some smoothing out and cleaning up to do - but it’s certainly proof of concept

4 Likes

Nice!
I had to pack my stuff away last month and lost my painting/modelling table to my son’s bedroom, so I haven’t touched this since. I might start it up again over xmas, but I don’t know what to scan yet. I’ve heard of people taking screenshots of 3D objects in video games to produce 3D models in the same way, so I might have a go at that since it requires no equipment.

1 Like

cue Total War Warhammer 3 being released with Chaos Dwarfs as a main faction and you printing an entire army using the TW files

;p

3 Likes

@cornixt

My dads been perfecting his set up. He’s doing it with a static camera and a turntable

Scan qualities are getting really good now. Yet to print anything as my printer is still boxed up since I moved house.

7 Likes

Looks good, Oxymandias. I think I might struggle with regular miniatures until I buy the full version of some software.

I did get some nice results using pictures I found online of GW miniatures. Too much messing around with the settings trying to improve them so I have put that on the backburner for now.

I’m getting more success with large models right now. I found the model sculpted for an old Golden Hat competition a few years ago, a giant fiery bull. Took photo and video in poor lighting to see how well it would work, and it wasn’t bad at all. I was only expecting the well lit side to come out. I might have a go with better lighting and see if I can get a decent scan to make a properly usable model.

Since this is entirely homemade, there is no issue with putting the files online, so you can see the different results from the video and photos here:

3 Likes

Nice!

Wow, blows my mind how these things work, nice job mate

In line with my experiment yo get the best results with the least effort, I have managed to get a decent scan outside on an overcast day with zero background changes. I’ve uploaded it to the same link above.

1 Like

On a different note, my son wanted some Star Wars sabacc dice. After a couple of failures, I managed to tune the print to produce two excellent copies. The picture shows both the top and bottom of the dice and you can see how similar they are to the other sides. If you touch them, you can feel a slight ridge along the bottom face, but it isn’t visible. They are surprisingly fair given how the print works in layers, but I made sure I printed one copy on the side to balance out any unfairness between the pair.

5 Likes

Nah, printing from game 3d files sucks. The models are not very detailed and heavily rely on textures unfortunately

Check out this game export… it looks horrible. If printed on a filament printer… maaaybe… on resin it will look like its melted…

1 Like

Can confirm, I’ve seen a guy on Bloodborne subreddit and the amount of post game file extraction processing and refining he has to do is mind boggling

That makes sense. I used the 360 model views on the GW website to create 3D models, and they looked great with a coloured texture but terrible without it. I expect small 3D assets to have similar issues to save on rendering, but it might work on larger objects like buildings.
The only GW model that actually looked okay without texture was a gnarly treeman which would be a difficult print anyway. I was hoping to get it to work on a semi-decent model that was now out of stock, but they generally ended up as just a blob

1 Like

My dad tried printing that mordheim character by the way @cornixt . It was a filament print so would be even better in resin.

Original in purple
Print in black

5 Likes

That looks really good, especially the sword - I’ve not always had good success with parts like that. Goes to show how you can get very good results. Maybe I should stop playing around with seeing how well everything goes in less than perfect conditions and try for something as good as I can get it. Overcast outdoor photography on my phone seems to work ten times better than my ideal lighting setup indoors with a DSLR so far.

I’ve noticed that some of my prints are consistently bad when using a particular filament - it might have just picked up too much moisture so I might have a go at correcting that.

1 Like

I forgot to post these. The faces on the rebel troopers are terrible, but since you can’t really see them it doesn’t matter too much. These are all free 3D prints to replace the tokens for models not included in the base set of Imperial Assault

Rebel Saboteurs (mash up)

Rebel Troopers

Han Solo

Chewbacca

IG-88

Royal Guard Champion (mod)

2 Likes

My son’s friend has got into 40k, so my son wanted to beef up his own army. I told him that we were almost out of filament, but he went ahead and printed this anyway.

7 Likes

In the old days “damn boy, you ate the last bit of bread!”
These days “damn boy ya used the last of the filament!”
LOL

5 Likes

Well worth it. :beer:

:cd1991gif: cheeky

Good hobby though mwhahaha :grin: