Cornixt's Blog of finishing stuff

I’m pretty bad at finishing projects. This will be a record of things I start and hopefully it gives me the impetus to finish them off more promptly.

Basic list of what I need to finish:
Lammasu build and paint :check_mark:
Hobgrot Vandals :check_mark:
Bull Centaur conversions
Bull Centaur pushed warmachines
Sneaky Gits 3D print
Bone Dragon 3d print
Hellcannon build and paint
Earthshaker crew to paint
Undead Goblin Wolfriders
Spider Riders
Remaining goblins from Skullpass
Dwarf Slayers/Berzerkers
Dwarf Ironbreakers
Remaining 6th ed plastic Dwarfs
Remaining Skullpass Dwarfs


Begin
Starting first with the Lammasu that has sitting in his box for the last 25 years. With several steps that require overnight waiting for glue and greenstuff to dry, it makes for a challenging schedule for my easily distracted brain to lose momentum and enthusiasm. Let’s see how it goes.

There is a nice empty spot waiting for him in my army case now they I have upgraded to a more efficient layout with more trays and smaller slots.

10 Likes

It was a bit difficult to glue, but I got there in the end.

He’s now at my minimum standard, which is pretty low. I’m not entirely convinced of the colour scheme but I will definitely revisit the model.

6 Likes


Found these guys lurking in my box. Some older BC conversions and 3d prints I cobbled together from various designs. Not much work is needed to get them completed. A second unit of BCs at cavalry scale would be nice to have, but maybe my Render scale ones should take priority.

4 Likes

I’ve had this box of Hobgrot Vandalz since Xmas. Not seen anyone put them on 20mm bases before, so I did. They fit. They fit better if you cut some of the arms at the elbow to fold the arms inwards to the front instead of the side (model 5 and 8 are worst for sticking out). Another I just glued his arms to point downwards so they didn’t stick out to the sides as much.

Here’s a run down of everything I wanted to know before buying them.
You get 20 models in the box. The sprue has a few left over pieces that are related only to the command options, and nothing else. You could make three extra models if you can make the legs and torso yourself since there are enough left and right arms, heads and upper bodies (you could duplicate parts 1, 14, 22. And possibly duplicate part 23 if part 19 isn’t compatible with part 22 (I glued mine before realising this might work so I can’t check it out, but they do look very close)).
The kit comes with 16 shields but only 14 of the models hold shields in their hands, with the three command models and three double-handed weapon hobgrots being shieldless. All of the shields are separate from the hands so you can stick any shield on there with no conversion required.

The models themselves are a little smaller than the 4th edition Hobgoblins, appearing to be shrunk proportionally. It’s not immediately obvious unless they are next to each other.

3 Likes

These Hobgoblins are taking a long time to paint. So many small details, it’s hard to concentrate for long enough to get them painted. So far I have the front rank of five fully painted, the next rank at 90%, the one after that at 70% and the final rank at 50%. It’s already taken me a lot more time and energy to do the details on the first two ranks than it did to do the whole unit to 50%.

I’m committed though, going to finish this unit off before moving on to my next thing to complete. It will be nice to have a full unit of Hobgoblin infantry models rather than Night Goblins or Golems as stand-ins. I already have sculpted up a unit of robed Sneaky Gits to 3D print, but they will paint-up so quickly in comparison.

2 Likes

I feel your pain … Doing archers now…

4 Likes

These guys are taking so long, so many small details. But I am down to just the final rank to complete and they will be finished. I’ll try to do a bit each evening this week to get through them. I was making lots of small mistakes while painting on Sunday, but I’m really not used to so many details of this scale.

I’ll add some finishing touches after that but probably sometime further in the future after doing some more items on my list. I could do a few highlights and something suitably 4th edition for the banner. And dulling down the bright white teeth and nails.

3 Likes

Finally got these guys completed. Well, the bases aren’t finished, but it is good enough to play with.

So now I can show off more easily the two minor conversions I made to reduce the overhang of a couple of the models. One guy sticks his sword out so widely that I can reallt only fit him on one side of the unit, but his identical copy had the arms cut at the elbow and now he takes up less space than the average HG. Similar for the guy with the axe, but with less significant results. I’m definitely doing this again for any future models of the same kind.

4 Likes

Do You plan to give them shields?

Nice job Cornixt! Only 4 more of those to make a proper brick now! :rofl:

I completely forgot about the shields, even while painting all the shield nubs. Given that they were only optional in 6th/7th edition and mandatory everywhere else, I’m not really restricting myself much game-wise by permanently adding shields. So yes, I will add them. Gives me a little more time to work out a colour scheme for my Hellcannon.

Got the last of my boxed unpainted models out to get ready. I’m missing the jaws, which I know I painted and put somewhere in a box. I’m sure I could dig it out if I could only get through all of the other boxes in the way. It’s not a key part of the model, so it can wait. Most of the parts are already cleaned up and ready, but not the wheels. The barrel has already been greenstuffed for the big gaps.

I already painted the crew (one is 100% done, the other two are 95% done) so that leaves off most of the fiddly painting part. This model is awkward to fit together, it’s going to be a longer multi-stage process that I will begin after painting.

5 Likes

Love this model, but honestly, painting it in one peace would be a nightmare for me. Well, I wish you good luck :smiley: