Denelian5 - Chaos Dwarfs in the 9th age

Oh this is incredible stuff, one of my favourite conversions on the site, really great job :clap:t2:

2 Likes

GH is over and no price for me this time… but that’s ok because I feel like a winner since I finished my entry!

I started the pieces for this entry a long time ago and started painting them for the War Machine GH but it was water waaaay over my head to finish within the set time frame for that competition. Therefore I was happy to use the Open topic to finish this gunline to a tabletop standard I can be happy with!

The centerpiece of the gunline is my scratchbuilt Hellcannon model. I had decided I would never pay full price for an original model and would therefore make my own (and of course I ended up with two originals nonetheless…). I used some bits and pieces to complete my Super Sculpey and GS sculpt, and really the pieces set the scale… original plan was to make it the same size as the official Hellcannon but that didn’t look good with the ogre banner (I think) that I used for its maw.

One of the things I’m most proud of is the use of two BFSP cannons as base for the furnace. For crew I used 3 old weapon team crew members, only slightly modding a rocket into a shovel.

The two Earth Shakers are pretty straight forward, I did a last minute change by adding a piece of cardboard to each nozzle to be able to paint a barrel flame effect. I saw someone else do this but I can’t for my life remember who it was. If you know, please let me know. ^^

The two flame thrower teams started in a toy store. I saw this small Gronkle from “How to train your dragon” for sale at 1€ and thought “Now that is a dragon that could fit in well with CDs”.

I bought it and a while later the T9A team updated their Infernal Dwarf book to include “Naphta thrower teams”. As you can see I choose one of the Death Rocket crew to be its handler, I think him lifting the mask to assess the havoc his pet has wrecked fits nicely.

But the rules made me want to be able to field two of them… but I only had the one Gronkle… I had no other choice but to sculpt a second dragon. :man_shrugging:

I choose to mirror its pose to get a bit more variation. And since I liked the mask of the first handler but didn’t own a second big hat, masked model other than the same crew man I had no choice but sculpt a second handler as well. :man_shrugging: :smirk:

Finally adding a printed hat from the fabulous hat pack that’s available for free in stl format, and the weapon is a nodge to the reeaaally old CD beast master mini.

I took the chance painting the dragons to add a bit of bright colours I wouldn’t otherwise have used in my army. I chose to make them different colours to again add a bit more variation.

I did try to paint a flame effect in their mouths to emphasise that aspect of them, but it was hard to photograph and even harder to fit in the four pics rules of the competition. Hope you guys like the end result!

Finally I took the chance to finish up the basing of a couple of more pieces of my army and here is the full family shot:

I think those units puts me right around 2000 painted points in T9A (with upgrades), though no core units are painted. ^^

22 Likes

Lovely colour scheme on these. The yellow on the hellcannon is masterfully done. Really nicely painted.

I guess you just neef to paint about 200 troops now to have a nice legal army! :dead:

6 Likes

Thank you! I tend to build up from brown which gives me a solid base for the yellow to pop.

Yeah… I have some 100 troops prepped for spray painting. Just need to set my mind to it. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Do it! :angry:

Nice to see that you started painting them. As Zodd already said, superb work all around – I especially like the NMM on the hellcannon chains. Also really impressed by your super sculpey chorf, I cannot tell the difference to an original model when painted up :slight_smile:

By the way, where can you exactly get this hat pack? I have seen it before. Is it this one?

2 Likes

I had no idea just how much green stuff work you did on this entry.
I’m still stunned, almost to the point of “am I dreaming?”…you good Sir really did such a flawless, seamless and smooth conversion of every little detail!
Very professional, stuff like this shows how much better custom conversions are compared to the average “off the shelf” purchase.
Hats off to you :cd1990:

3 Likes

Yes, that’s the hat pack indeed. ^^ It’s great to give a bit of variation, especially to the old plastic monopose warriors and Fabelzels digital sculpts.

2 Likes

Thank you! That means a lot coming from the master himself. :slight_smile:

Going into this Golden Hat I felt that I might have stood a better chance entering with just one of the pieces I did, so that details might have come through more clearly in the four pictures. But winning a price really wasn’t the goal for me this time (though as always it would have been fun), getting a big part of my army painted was. ^^

2 Likes

Stunning, stunning sculpting. A really perfect recreation of the dragon. Hellcannon is exquisitely professional quality also.

2 Likes

Wow, another amazing entry! Didn’t realize so much of it was sculpted and scratch built… :astonished:

3 Likes

The reverse engineered hell cannon is ingenious! I seem to recognize an ogre standard for a mouth piece, but that’s about all I can make out. Stunning work!

2 Likes

Wow. Like others, I didn’t truly realize just how much was sculpted which tells the amazing quality of your work. Beautiful job recreating the Hellcannon, but my favorite part is the masked CD and his “pet”. Very, Very, Well Done!

2 Likes

Thank you. :slight_smile: I think the way to make it clear would have been to pose it beside the original. I’ll take a picture when I get home from my vacation.

The base my Hellcannon sculpt is standing on is 100x150 mm so that might say something about the size. ^^

1 Like

Delicious sculpt! A marvellous take on one of the absolutely best Citadel miniatures ever released, of which the crew design is included. Top notch job on your homebew Hellcannon!

Fantastic artillery park all around, and what a massive amount of painting it must have required. Nice bases as well.

1 Like

I kinda forgot to take a comparison photo between my GH entry Hellcannon and the original when I got home from my vacation, so here it is:

Hope you can see the size difference. ^^

9 Likes

I’ve been hard at work trying to finish my vision for a Prophet on Kadim Chariot for T9A. I give to you, a load of WIPs:

12 Likes

It’s incredible how much detail there is in this chariot.

I think most of the things stuck to my fingers rather than to the chariot when I wanted to do something like that. After that, the thing took a flight against the wall.

Very impressive.

2 Likes

By Hashut! That’s a marvellous chariot. Such a fantastic conversion. Strålande!

I love the attention to details, and how the whole thing flows together seamlessly. Chains and all.

Also, nice choice for driver. :smiley:

2 Likes

Wonderful conversion work on the chariot – nice detail that you managed to sneak in an imperial aquila (which blends in quite naturally, I want to add). I wanted to do a similar conversion for quite a while now as the rounded chariot panels lend themselves so nicely for CD iconography as you have masterfully demonstrated.

2 Likes

Great stuff. Have you played any 9th age games with your infernal dwarfs?

1 Like