eBay craziness

3 Likes

Got it!
Wouldn’t pass the chance to get 10 plastic models for 40$ a piece, what a bargain.

4 Likes

There is no sanity. Feels like it’s getting more common for people to buy this kind of stuff up as an investment opportunity and allow it to sit… except if someone is willing to pay 5x + the current market value that’s even better. Jeez Louise.

2 Likes

Daily reminder that you should never, ever pay these prices. You should DM me instead

6 Likes

(This is contagion from trading card games. Sealed product is not more valuable in warhammer! Don’t believe the listings! The same minis can be had loose for fractions of the price!)

3 Likes

Absolutely!! No different than the cowboy MTG/Pokémon/etc ‘investors’ :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

One of my favorite screenshots from back in my hobgoblin hunting days

Note these are sold prices for auctions! If only I could value my current collection at these rates :joy:

2 Likes

I’m not an MTG player, but I watched some videos around the Magic 30th debacle, particularly the coverage from the YouTube channel Alpha Investments. I guess I’ve been vaguely aware that there are people out there buying up stock and holding on to it to re-sell later, but I didn’t quite clue-in to some folks seeing it as an intentional investment ‘opportunity’ and going after it with that mindset. I feel like it’s a pretty dumb move unless you’re very organized and in-the-know or have a line on cheap product you can pick up. I guess I’m old fashioned… I prefer to give my money to someone else to invest and then hold them accountable with quarterly reviews of performance. Plus, I wouldn’t put money into Games Workshop or Hasbro. Way too volatile for me - although I know myself and my spouse well enough to know we’re somewhat risk averse. I don’t like gambling or losing money :wink: We’re also in a bit of an odd situation here in that we have access to accountants and investment staff who are retained on salary and are responsible for investing on our behalf. It’s not a normal thing though, it’s tied to my wife’s profession and completely different from the way normal investment groups operate.

Still seems dumb to be buying up stuff like this thinking you’re making smart investments for the future. A few seem to make money, but far more people end up tanking it seems.

3 Likes

OOP miniatures as an investment? Is this really a thing? Usually the largest price jump occurs right after products go OOP with a slow increase after this (if any). It seems smarter to buy up (semi-popular) 7/8th edition kits you would expect to go OOP some time in the future (such as the remaining Empire stuff – although I have been expecting this to happen for the past 5 years or so).