EFD's "Night on Grey Mountain" [BATG2023]

Today I took another stab at the airbrush and I think I’ve figured it out!

At least, I figured out contrast through the brush… I figured out that going full blast is super wasteful with a paint that’s $.50 per mL. It does give an excellent translucent effect, though.

I ended up undercoating 34 models and basecoating 23. It took about three hours and I think my sinuses are full of paint, because for the first little while I didn’t wear a mask. Dumb.

Here’s the current state of my painting desk:

Today’s list is 2 more Rhinos (Auroxes), 21 Heresy infantry that can be militia or Solar Auxilia, 2 commander-ish models, and 9 Solar Auxilia companions (badass elites who can all take plasma guns).

Of that, I basecoated the Rhinos and the infantry with the airbrush, trying out undershot shading with Garaghak’s Sewer and then a top-down layer of Ionrach Skin.

The Garaghak’s worked well, but I think the Ionrach is just too inconsistent to go through the airbrush. It has poor coverage at high dilution, and at lower dilution it clogged the brush to the point where I had to dismantle the whole thing and give it a full clean - since it’s my nicer Iwata brush, I didn’t want it to get messed up like my cheap one!

This is all a long way of saying that today I painted 2 models:

Ignoring the messing about with the airbrush, these are really quick to paint. If I were to hand brush the Garaghak’s and drybrush the Ionrach, the only thing that takes any time at all is filling in the black with Black Templar contrast paint. The rest is just contrast for the flesh and gloves, a red stripe on the head, a little sponge weathering with Rhinox Hide and my new favourite metal paint from Vallejo:

I’m very happy with this colour scheme. If I didn’t have to work tomorrow I’d stay up working on this pile.

2 models down, more to come. I’m going to shoot for -50 and Silver by the end of the year!

BATG Score: -10 :white_check_mark:

4 Likes