EvilFuzzyDoom in "Clear that backlog!" [BATG 2022]

Another weekend day, some more modelling work.

First, I mostly-assembled my War Altar (Celestial Hurricanum) for my Cities of Sigmar army:

I don’t normally paint in subassemblies but this thing is just too fiddly for me to think I’ll get away without it. I’ve temporarily based the priest and the poor souls pulling it, and the statue is magnetised to detach for storage purposes. I’m counting it as assembled for now, since it’ll only get glued together completely just before the final painting stages.

I also filled the gaps in the bases on 20 Gloomspite Shootaz. No pictures, because that’s pretty boring.

However, since I had the putty out, I couldn’t let myself ignore the 2-hand weapon-wielder who’s been sitting on my desk for weeks:

I also decided to start work on giving him some friends.

Lastly, I put some paint on the next 7 Hobgrots. This is nowhere near finished, I just thought they might feel easier if I started batching out their basecoats. Time will tell.

Not a lot of movement on the scores today, but the Hurricanum/Altar counts for 10 in Figure Case, the Dwarf counts for 2 (because they’re all conversions, all my Chaos Dwarfs count for 2) and I can also take 2 flagellants out of the “assembled” pool now that I’ve allocated them to pull the wagon.

BATG score: +3 :negative_squared_cross_mark:
Shame Golf score: -5 :white_check_mark:

6 Likes

Aaaaand I bought a Marshcrawla Sloggoth to ally into my Gloomspite.

Counts for 5 effort:

BATG score: +4 :negative_squared_cross_mark:
Shame golf score: -4 :white_check_mark:

5 Likes

ah GW’s cart titan

2 Likes

Wow. I very much regret Googling that :joy: :rofl: :joy:

2 Likes

I briefly got excited about rejuvenating my Khorne space marine collection and ordered two Chaos Spawn off eBay before I could come to my senses:

Fortunately for the count they’re preassembled and I’m not at all unhappy with the thickness of the paint on them, so I’m just going to hit them with a red contrast paint and call them done.

1 effort each, straight to “In Progress”:

BATG score: +6 :negative_squared_cross_mark:
Shame Golf score: -2 :white_check_mark:

4 Likes

So, I got some hobby time in over the last few days and I’m still working my way through my first ten Hobgrots. I love the way the finished models look but ARGH I hate painting them. They’re finicky and the dangly things get in the way and the level of of detail demands time and attention that this chaff unit simply doesn’t deserve.

So here’s six almost-finished Hobgrots and four finished Hobgrots:

Meanwhile, that stray bolt of Khornespiration is still rattling around in my head. I’ve updated two of my early-2000s Khorne Berzerkers to be unit champions with power fists.

And now that you’ve seen my 2000s-era paint jobs you’ll understand why I’m calling these spawn done with only a head swap and painted bases.

Finally, while fiddling around in my big old box of Khorne I found a counting error in my Khorne Berzerkers: 2 more total, and 6 more painted than I had in Figure Case. So we’re looking at this:

BATG score: +3 :negative_squared_cross_mark:
Shame Golf score: -5 :white_check_mark:

9 Likes

Blitz update, because life is chaotic right now due to moving house at fairly short notice:

• bought Privateer Press’ Barnabus the Conqueror because I NEED the model to represent a LARP character I occasionally bring back.
  • got green stuff onto the gaps of the bases of 23 Moonclan Grots, so I can get around to rebasing them for AOS.
  • attached magnets to a bunch of stuff so that they can be put away for moving day.
  • was hoping to get the Hobgrots done before the move but it looks like I won’t have time.

Tiny movement on the counts, but very important in the long run.

BATG score: +4 :negative_squared_cross_mark:
Shame Golf score: -4 :white_check_mark:

5 Likes

I picked up another model:

:grin::grin::grin:

He needs a lot of love, but I’m pretty happy to have a real (probably) Lammasu in my collection.

I have decided that the first thing to work on after unpacking is going to be a unit of Moonclan Grots which needed rebasing - they’re all built, I just need to get paint on them. That should significantly help my BATG score!

BATG score: +5 :negative_squared_cross_mark:
Shame Golf score: -3 :white_check_mark:

7 Likes

This update has been a little while coming, and it’s a little bit of a cheat, but I finished rebasing a unit of Grots today and they totally count:

23 little Moonclan buddies have been moved from “In Progress” to “Complete” and BOY does it feel good. They all got some touching up, too, so I have no guilt about counting them in my BATG score :smiley:

Additionally, I painted the Bull Centaur that I built six months ago.

More about him in my Chaos Dwarf blog.

EDIT to add lightbox pictures:

Very happy to get some big movement in the score today, even if it’s been a long time coming!

That’s 24 models in the bank, and an additional bonus point on the Shame Golf score for completing a unit of 5 or more models. We’re in the green and here to stay!

BATG score: -19 :white_check_mark:
Shame Golf Score: -28 :white_check_mark:

6 Likes

I built this cool guy while procrastinating today:

It’s just a build so this is an update to Figure Case only:

I have also updated the Lightbox with some photos I was able to take yesterday!

4 Likes

I did some building today:

Two Bull Centaurs ready for green stuff, and a “Scourgerunner Chariot” built for my Cities of Sigmar project and ready for a rider and driver.

Neither counts as finished though, so no movement on any of the counts. :smiling_face_with_tear:

6 Likes

I got some Warriors built over the Easter weekend in between family stuff:

You can find a full write-up on my project log.

Since they’re 2 effort each that counts as 20 more in the “assembled” pile:

(And also some stuff that was filed under “bitz” got moved around when I built the chariot the other day)

9 Likes

Some will say I’ve fallen to temptation, but my excuse is that I’ve spent so long looking at the Ogre bits while making my Bull Centaurs that I’m reminded how good GW multipart kits were in the ‘00s and a low-model-count Ogre force might be a nice take-a-break project for this year.

I picked up 6 Ogor Gluttons (I’m not counting the gnoblars, unless I paint them) as a birthday present to myself, and have some more coming that will be added to the count when they arrive.

Hopefully they’ll all get built & painted quickly (I’ve been watching a lot of Vince Venturella speed-painting videos lately…), but I have a little trick up my sleeve to try and give myself some more padding to allow for a few more Ogors without taking me too much closer to zero!

For the Figure Case, they count as 2 effort each:

BATG score: -13 :white_check_mark:
Shame Golf Score: -22 :white_check_mark:

4 Likes

Happy birthday! Looking forward to seeing these guys painted up!

1 Like

So my lovely partner also got me a birthday present, because she’s awesome:

And there’s some other stuff on the way, too.

But oh no! My count! Whatever shall I do?!

Well fortunately, gifts don’t count for Shame Golf, so I’m covered there x but for BATG? He counts.

Well, I found myself listening to the latest Brazen Broadcast and was struck by the conversation about changing up one’s style to try and make a big dent in my collection this year…

Then I remembered I used to play Imperial Guard.

@Oxymandiasguide to quick painting from a little while got me thinking, and while I was originally considering using the techniques for a new project, I remembered that I have SOMETHING LIKE A HUNDRED unpainted Cadians just sitting around, and a big chunk of them in paint-ready state.

So I pulled out the dry brush and the contrast paints and I’m getting to work. None finished yet, because for some reason I didn’t base these guys before undercoating them (?), but they won’t take long at all. It’s something like 20 minutes per model, not counting drying times.

And they look so much better than my old hour-a-model paint job by far!

Kraggers is 10 effort for Figure Case:

BATG score: -12 :white_check_mark:
Shame Golf score: -22 :white_check_mark:

6 Likes

Glad my speed paint tutorial inspired! I may have another one coming soon for speed painting 40k scenery. I’m doing a couple of tables worth for a mates hobby store and I’m using the least possible steps to proper speed paint it

3 Likes

So, more things arrived in the post today!

I got a box of Ironguts and a Night Goblin Loonboss with Giant Cave Squig, AKA the old Skarsnik and Gobbla model I’ve wanted for a while:

That’s 5 more models counting for 2 effort each so I’ll just add that to the…

Oh.

There’s something else…

My Dad got me HeroQuest.

Gifts don’t count, right…?

… right?

Turns out, there’s 108 models in the HeroQuest core set plus the expansions.

Even though I don’t think I’ll paint them (the plastic is… weird), they should go in the count.

So, that’s 113 models added.

OUCH.

BATG Score: 101 :negative_squared_cross_mark:
Shame Golf Score: -17 :white_check_mark:

10 Likes

Oh man! I have the Hero Quest minis, I know what you mean about the plastic. Where did he even get that? I have tried looking around, but I only ever see it for way too much money on ebay.

2 Likes

I’m in Australia; we couldn’t access the Kickstarter but I think several distributors made arrangements to have supplies of the Core Set and expansions over here.

2 Likes

Today I finished the batch of Imperial Guard I’ve been working on, and feeling very glad that I decided early on to count rebasing as completion!

I painted up 22 guard models from scratch (20 infantry and 2 officers) for my newer Astra Militarum force started in 2020, called the Rythnian 108th “Ventilators” (because they come from a planet with endemic lung problems and because they fill their enemies full of holes, I did not know how big a thing that would be when I started!).

I also did the bases for 15 guardsmen (1 officer, 4 veterans, 10 regulars) who are part of my older Imperial Guard force, the Rythnian 6th.

I’m really happy with the newer paint scheme that I used on the Ventilators (almost all contrast and washes), I think it looks much better than the more-traditional scheme i used on the 6th.

For some side-by-side comparison, here’s a member of the 6th painted in 2009, the test model for the Ventilators (2020) and one of the batch-painted Ventilators I just finished:

I very much prefer the look of the latest model, and not just because I’ve gotten better in the last decade!

Little edit to add lightbox pictures!

That’s thirty-seven models finished, to start offsetting the massive step back HeroQuest made in my counts!

(It looks like I had already marked off the command squad as complete, so there’s a slight discrepancy in Figure Case)

BATG score: 64 :negative_squared_cross_mark:
Shame Golf score: -58 :white_check_mark:

6 Likes