Golden Hat XLII: Daemonic Machinery

Especially with the Golden Hat being focused on painting, no issues with old WIPs lingering around the catacombs of the internet.

True anonymity is hard in our tight knit cloister of forgemasters so treat the anonymity rules as a best effort and up to your own judgement. Old projects getting completed is something to be encouraged and it would be great to see something from the forge of unfinished business get the paint it deserves.

There’s maybe more grey area around artisans contests where the creation of the thingy is more central but still this isn’t something highly scrutinized.

I might catch on eventually if people were about posting fully painted models and just waiting for an applicable contest to say… paint the base rim. But we on CDO are above that level of elvish priggishness you might find on wood aeiolves online.

5 Likes

There was a full bilbo baggins moment there, i love it!

Get entering!

Nearly finished mine i think…

5 Likes

Same procedure as every year, James.:wink:

Just don’t post work in progress pictures of your entry after the contest has been announced. Older WIP pictures are no problem against finishing a model and entering it.

5 Likes

Whelp… I’m officially working on an entry for GH XLII, which I think is my first one since GHXX back in 2013!! Fingers crossed work doesn’t implode and put an end to it before it’s done :persevere:

~N

9 Likes

If it does implode I’d vote you still paint it and enter it as a daemonsmith’s failed experiment

4 Likes

So I have a solid, but perhaps ambitious idea. Somewhat skeptical that I can actually complete and paint it within the allotted timeframe. Time to order parts, and go digging through my bits.

3 Likes

Really the best part of most projects.

3 Likes

Same here… but I’m not skeptical that you will finish… I’m skeptical for ME to finish!! Just spent $230 Canadian doll-hairs on bitz and supplies. I’m at more than the 50% mark but I’m now scheduled to work out of the country for a week mid-February (~120-hour work week) which will derail progress. By the time I get back there’s usually some fire to put out or some other emergency that requires putting hobby stuff on hold :dead:

Need to blitz this ASAP

4 Likes

Ive finished mine you slow coaches!

Fast jack is a 50:50 chance of making it in time, but i always love the outcome when entered.

Nicodemus, i think you are commited , financially and spiritually. You will make it!

I reckon there might be around 20 entries or more this time. Pdf boom baby!

6 Likes

Ugh. I am missing ONE critical bit. Didn’t clean up my hobby space for the past two years. It looks like the desolation of Ass-Gore in there. :shock:

Slowly chugg-chugg-chugging away at the paint at least. Not sure if I’ll submit more than the one piece I’m currently working on. I’m actually quite happy with it so far.

But that ONE, damn bit though… :mad:

6 Likes

I used to have a thread on the old website showing my painted chaos dwarves. The return of the old world has inspired me to get back to them, and this event is the perfect spot.

I’m going to paint a demon engine I purchased when I was probably 10 years old and have never gotten around to painting.

Anyone know what size base I should put this on?

7 Likes

Welcome back, mate!

Just FYI, your old posts must be somewhere in the Archive. If you still know your old username, @MichaelX often is able to link all your old posts to your new account!

5 Likes

Welcome back! :hatoff:

It should be the 50 x 100 mm base.

4 Likes

Decided to restart as my original idea was not big, brassy or bloody enough. March looms close and the pressure builds…like a hobgoblin performing an MOT on an Iron Daemon.

4 Likes

Parts arrived yesterday just before supper time. They made pretty good time through Canada Post, all things considered. Now I’ve got some serious work cut out for me disassembling this thing and using these new parts that arrived. The risk of really messing up his very real… I pray this is going to be the substantial improvement I’m imagining it could be… This has been rattling around in my head since ~2011 when Tamurkhan came out and I was imagining all the cool stuff I could make for my Legion of Azgorh army.

Do we really have to paint it?? As evidenced by my old BLOG on CDO - I was good at making stuff, painting hasn’t been my thing as much :wink: Feeling like a further opportunity to mess up!! Acccck
~N

5 Likes

We’ll get you back in your comfort zone next artisans contest! For now…. Praise the pain(t).

3 Likes

Ping ping ping”, said the robotic bird, trying to blend in.

Just bringing this to the to the top of the daemonic algorithm. Not much time left before you have to drop your tools daemonsmiths. Join guest judge Michael Bay as we find out which creation explodes our ballistic dummy elf when Forged In Fire returns after this commercial break.

6 Likes

Oof!!! Still out of the country with my machinations 2700+ km away. Maybe a few days off work when I get back will help get this moving along.

For some reason the reminder in my phone says March 4th, so thanks for the prod Reaver! YIKESSS>S!!
~N

2 Likes

Some components are still in delivery, hope I can make it to the deadline :slightly_frowning_face:

4 Likes

I have finished my Golden Hat, and I am happy with my Golden Hat. However I am not happy at the prospect of photographing my Golden Hat, which I always seem to muck up.

Hope everyone is enjoying theirs, can’t wait to see your devilish instruments!

5 Likes