Golden Hat XLII: Daemonic Machinery

“Feed the Machine… Burn it to the Ground”

Warcolours and The Brazen Broadcast Presents: The 42nd Golden Hat competition on Chaos Dwarfs Online!

The Golden Hat Winner will receive this set of mm90 miniatures courtesy of @LaketideMiniatures and @MichaelX

This contest has been sponsored by Warcolours !
The silver winner will receive a €20 store coupon at Warcolours

The bronze winner will receive an assortment of nautical vessels in relatively Man-o-war scale courtesy of @Reaver and @MichaelX

One lucky random participant will receive a €10 store coupon at Warcolours courtesy of @warcolours

Subject Matter: Daemonic Machinery

This theme is wide open for interpretation. For this painting contest we want you to enter with anything involving Chaos Dwarf daemon engines, daemonic factories, daemonsmithing equipment, daemon imbued warmachines, bound daemonic creations, or artillery in general!

Do you have any old daemon engine models or piss printer proxy prints searing a hole in the middle of your dusty shelf? Are you sick of infantry slogging being the clear meta of the BATG? Dig out your neglected artillery that craves paint! In the words of loresmith @chitzkoiDaemons are spicy batteries. Let’s put them to use!

The Warmachines and Artillery section is the most popular of our image galleries for a reason. Daemon imbued artillery is our bread and butter, our noodles and red sauce, our… Yorkshire Pudding? Every self respecting and elf loathing Chaos Dwarf general aches with a mighty need to cackle at the Old World (and its embiggened base sizes) and burn it to the ground with a salvo of arsetillery. Not in the mood for ranged warfare, melee skullcrackin is certainly permitted.

Maybe you’d prefer to create a diorama of your daemonsmith’s workshop. In the process securing the final rivet in his latest Thomas the Tank Daemon Engine. This painting contest is open to single entities or an entire gun battery or an entire train of machines pulled by an iron daemon. Trains, boats, airships, bulldozers, cranes, Zike Zhulligan and his Steam Shovel, mecha-shiva, or any other miscellaneous inspirations.

Are you a Hobgoblin enjoyer? No doubt the crook nosed taskmasters encourage the underling crews forced to operate the most dangerous daemonic equipment. Tasks that no Chaos Dwarf would permit to sully their boots.

Worried your idea is too large? You are incorrect and will be summarily and kindly ridiculed. This contest embraces the centerpiece enthusiast. What better way to strike fear into your opponent than grabbing his attention with a massive oozing bum barrel. Worried your idea is too small? Also nonsense, every respectable daemonsmith has a panoply of living failures scuttling around the workshop. Why not force those minor bound creations into servitude to nibble at the shins of your scale creeping foe.

Let’s get that artillery backlog painted and shake the earth with our creations. Keep it as simple or as complicated as you like. Let your imagination run wild! Maniacal unhinged laughing strongly encouraged.

If you are unsure if your entry will fit the subject matter, please contact @Reaver and he’ll sort it out with the rest of the Staff.

Basing is unrestricted and up to your discretion. You may include plinths and display bases if you want. You may include fancy backgrounds. We want to encourage the creation of beautiful models and scenes, not hamper it.

Specifics
Subject: Daemonic Machinery
Bases: Up to your discretion.
The Due Date: 11:59 PM March the 2nd 2024 EST (Eastern Time Zone)

Please read the full rules that apply to the Golden Hat competition before submitting your entry.

Submission
All entries must be sent to the @GoldenHat account no later than the due date. (Entrants have approximately 10 weeks to complete entries). If for some reason you are having trouble with your submission, contact @Reaver since the @GoldenHat account has limited monitoring. In order to avoid problems, entrants should not wait until the last minute to submit their entries.

How to Enter

Submissions should include up to 4 pictures of your miniature creation. Upload and send your entry images with this forum’s direct upload function (preferred) in a PM to @GoldenHat (a special user that all Staff have access to). Any images uploaded to the Internet, e.g. with Imgur will need to be inserted in image form into the PM anyway (see below).

If you win:

• Walk across the backs of the cowed masses you have scorned and pushed aside, in order to take your place at the top in the vaunted Golden Hat Gallery .
  • Receive the Golden Hat medal for your online persona.
  • Win paints and miniatures! See above for details.

Go forth daemonsmiths of the Dark Lands and bind the dark souls of the damned to your infernal creations!

Once all entries are received a thread will be created for voting and determining the winners!

If there are any questions it is best to post them here so that everyone can benefit from any details or clarifications that may arise.

Should you wish to donate a prize to the contest, please PM @Reaver and he will sort it out with you and the Staff.

Good luck everyone!

The Staff

15 Likes

Oh, this one fits well!
Many machines are still to be built… :anvil: :chaos4: :hashut1:

7 Likes

Love it! Bring it on

5 Likes

Another nice topic! I have enough models, but what does that mean? :wink: Let’s see if I can come up with something suitable. :thinking:

3 Likes

You had me at oozing bum barrel…

8 Likes

Great subject for this one! Will see If I can come up with something. Been minimal hobby time for many months now.

6 Likes

This one does seem up your alley! Tried to put a deadline far out enough to facilitate embiggened ambitions.

3 Likes

So a chariot doesn’t count

1 Like

Why not? If it is a demonic construct / a demonic machine, it should count … :thinking:

3 Likes

Make it like a chariot. But with flames and tentacles! :skull1:

2 Likes

In some ways of thinking a chariot could just be a proxy skullcracker. Definitely in scope if you ask me.

This is really quite a vague statement intentionally. Theoretically you could take this in many directions not explicitly artillery at all.

As always the two most important lines copied and pasted into every contest brief.

7 Likes

Much appreciated. More a when will I find the time between house renovations, and can I find the bits I need in storage… Still… Have a few ideas brewing…

4 Likes

After thinking about it for a long time, I finally have an idea of what I want to / can do. Now I just have to order something in Canada and get it in time. Oh yes, and then my plan just has to work … :thinking:

PS:
Ok, the postage from Canada is higher than the cost of the models. I’ll have to think about that again!

5 Likes

We got until March, right? I might actually finish something until then.

Can it be more than one machine-thingy in the same picture? Or multiple pictures of various machine-thingys? Like, is there a limit?

3 Likes

An aftershock of dreadquakes, a fleet of battlebarges, an arsenal of asscannons, a fulmination of deathshriekers, a shattering of skullcrackers, a rumbling of destroyers, a panoply of different machines, one of each, 9 of any, an entire train of destruction.

Finish as few or as many things as you like. (And come up with better collective nouns too if you so choose)

6 Likes

Lovely competition subject and prizes! Long time members might know that I’ve got something wacky already converted and basecoated that could fit the bill. I’ll see about digging it up from storage, convert some crew and break out the paintbrushes if time allows.

6 Likes

WIP incoming!

…well, you know what they say: It’s never too late to try some new things, or use some toys to spice things up!

10 Likes

Great conversion, especially the weapon phalanx is mega cool! :beer:

3 Likes

Duplo!

3 Likes

Since I’m lame and haven’t entered anything in many years - and am not sure what currently passes here - I’m hoping for an official statement. I saw the reference in the 1st post to those of us with old models sitting on dusty shelves …

I’ve posted a LOT of pictures to CDO in the past. I’ve finished building half as many as I’ve started and painted far less than half of those I’ve finished. We still good to enter things we’ve shown WIP pics for in the past (maybe the very distant past, of a decade ago) but are presently unfinished???

The Daemonsmiths and Forgepainters are eager. They’re either going to wear those paint brushes down to a nub finishing something amazing or they’re going to cast them all into the forges to stoke the fires of future industry and contemptible rage.

Yours ever,
~N

6 Likes