Golden Hat XXXVII - Winners!

Wow. Amazing contest, and well earned wins to @Loidrial @Fuggit_Khan and @Bessron. One of those rare and unusual occasions were all three models I ultimately voted for placed, and somehow I still managed to eek my way onto the podium.

Congrats to @Loidrial, a really well realized scene, thoughtful composition, and an overall stunningly painted diorama. I love the grit and realism that your style brings to the scene. Just, beautiful! A very well deserved gold!

@Fuggit_Khan deceptively simple scheme, but the closer I looked, the more I was drawn to what you put together. Lovely, subtle brushwork, and skillfully executed greenstuff conversions!

@Bessron your model jumped off the page. Beautiful colors, and brushwork which brings the details in the model straight to the eye. I’m not sure if it’s the paint scheme or the photography, but the presentation gives the model a wonderful nostalgic old school vibe.

Thank you for the votes! Just as @Bessron stated, when I saw the field of entries, I didn’t think my single model had a chance.

4 Likes

@denelian5 I must confess, the hats were the tipping point that made me decide very late in the game to have a go at this one.

6 Likes

Congrats to the worthy winners! :metal:

4 Likes

@Zoddtheimmortal & @Fuggit_Khan : Good eye indeed! It’s probably not lazy design, but a deliberate choice. Either for the sake of fantasy creatures being weird for the sake of weird, or because one toe regressed evolutionarily until it folded into the foot. Swamp adaptation? I’ve yet to catch up with the new AoS background snippets, but is anything known where Hobgrots tend to live?

I prefer symmetry between front paws and rear paws, yet still there were theropods with three rear digits and five front digits. Precedent provided by Mother Nature herself.

4 Likes

This was that annoyed me with that plastic gw giant. All these hand and feet combinations but for me they had to match, as I couldn’t think of an animal (mammal)where it didn’t .

I guess I didn’t consider dinosaurs…

2 Likes

Well done to the winners. What a fantastic competition. So many great entries. I was spoiled for choice.

7 Likes

Great work you guys, another superb GH… And of course congrats to the winners! :slight_smile:

7 Likes