Hobgoblins and Your opinions

Im looking to expand into hobgobs for my chaos dwarf army. What actual good use are they these days for TOW besides wolf riders and their ability to flank or attack crews.

I’ve played 6th-8th edition without ever using them but I may want some sneaky gits or something

2 Likes

I reckon sneaky gits are our best unit. Multiple shots bs4 weapons , ws 4 skirmish ambushing legends! Made more than their points back 3 games in a row. Rerolls when they hit rear or flank which they always do…

40 hobbos with shields with a hero ld 10. Can hold against most for a couple of phases allowing you to counter charge.

Hobbos with arrows…3pts big units or small are both useful

3 Likes

I’ve only used 2*10 bare bones archer units thus far, and they have been usable as meat screens, fake-outs in deployment, and the occasional lucky shortbow shot. They are cowardly to the extreme, though, so are vulnerable to all sorts of panic.

@Zoddtheimmortal interesting about the sneaky gits :thinking: May have to give them a chance after all. From others I’ve only heard how disappointing their performance had been.

I’m not so sold on wolf riders, but maybe I just haven’t quite grasped their usefulness.

1 Like

Context I have skaven and a small 1000 pt all ogre army, in my model advice thread you can get an idea of what I currently have for the chaos dwarves

Idk about K’daai. I won’t be fielding them anytime soon. Glass cannons, from what I gather.

The deathshrieker is wonderfully versatile if it can hit, demolishing big bads and causing panic in low toughness units.

Dreadquake slowing ability is useful for deterring cavalry and overall advancing enemies. Should be prioritizing big bads, cause of the excellent d6 multiple wounds and AP.

Including these war machines does favor a castling playstyle, which might not be your thing (for sure I’ll be moving away from it going forward)

The Infernal Guard are supremely steadfast and potentially feisty with a daemonology sorcerer among their ranks. Daemonic vessel and daemonic vigor, watch them have at it with S5 t5 a2 i3(+3?) and AP 1 :astonished: Probably best taken with HW and shield. Blunderers or fireglaives as a smaller detachment in line formation to max out the shots.

2 Likes

How many sneaky gits would you buy and run at 1000/2000 pts in general?

1 Like

Ive ran 1 unit of 10 (60pts) in 2 games. 2 in my last game again at 1500. The plan is to ambush and take out artillery and squishy units at the back. Then make their way to help out the cd units by getting rear charges. You run the risk of not rolling a 4+ early in the game though and them not being as effective. 60pts though…worth a gamble

1 Like

I’m going to build and paint some hobgoblins aren’t I?

After I made a whole hobgoblin army?

But they need to match my colour scheme for my new army don’t they?

I hate you all

4 Likes