Interview with Hashut ♥

A great interview with Rick and Alan…although even as a native English speaker I find it difficult to understand what Alan is saying?
But a wonderful video that I’m sure everyone will enjoy.
And great to see homage to John Blanche!

15 Likes

I’ll never get tired of the story of how they got their big hats. Cracks me up in every iteration I’ve heard so far :joy:

Thanks for sharing!

3 Likes

I meant to post this here last night aha, thanks for sharing. Was a real fun video to work on!

8 Likes

@InsectoidPoet
In the past 30 years or so I’ve heard so many different stories of how the Big Hats came to be…well, here it is from the man himself. A great story!
And the name “Hashut” was another one of Rick’s well known bits of humor :sneezing_face:

@Filmdeg
It’s a great interview, Thank You!
Alan needs subtitles though
:grin: :joy:
I would love to see you make more future interviews with them about all things Hashut. Bless you.

And I’m still of the opinion that if GW had used the original concept designs and artwork that John Blanche had done, then the 4th edition CDs would have been more popular. No disrespect to the Perry sculpts, but John Blanche had a lovely, gritty and uniquely dark vision for them :heart:

8 Likes

@Filmdeg flying the flag. Well done. Appreciate the shout outs to the community!

2 Likes

The hats are very large in that pic as well. Is there a previous sketch out there?

Also, as a non native english speaker I never picked up upon Hashut = Atchoo until now. Damn haha

2 Likes

Youtube’s automatically generated subtitles are definitely struggling to keep up :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

As seen in the video, I thought it’d be nice to share the concept sketches that Alan Perry did when he was working on the Chaos Dwarfs. Really fascinating to see how close some of these are to the sculpts, and also how different some of them are.

Alan was kind enough to provide me with loads and loads of his old sketchbooks when I went around to film. Sadly I was really short on time, so perhaps another time I’ll be able to get more pics/videos of everything in them!

5 Likes

11 Likes

Treasures, filmdeg. Genuine treasures, thank you so much for your efforts.

3 Likes

@Filmdeg the shoutout to the community is a raging boner under the desk
the quality of this work is so grand!

those sketches are marvellous, surely enough there’s someone 3d sculpting them already, i love so much the tall head under the hats!!

@Fuggit_Khan that blanche illustration is fenomenal, the dwarf with the chicken mecha leg is utterly brilliant! i hope i can get that signed by Blanche in person!
Also i had headphones on and still lost few words, were you using them as well? might help i guess

7 Likes

I love the actual tall heads. It fits them sooooo well

1 Like

I have some British expat friends here in my neighborhood, and although neither of the guys are familiar with Warhammer, I had them both watch the video and asked if they could translate Alan for me.
Nope.
Both of them couldn’t 100% entirely make out what Alan was saying, and my buddy Stacey starting smiling and said
“Eh? I’d reckon Enfield gibberish?”
And my other friend Kevin commented that Alan was “Cheerfully Cockney”.
So in other words, the “translation” my two friends made simply left me more confused :grin:

Oh, and I started a green stuff sculpt of that very same John Blanche peg legged CD, maybe a year ago?
But I never finished and I’ve forgotten where he’s at?
I’ll have to take a look for him and finish him up one of these days.

5 Likes

Go find him and back to work… maggot! :hob01:

6 Likes

I second this! :hob04:

1 Like

As Gen Z, I just had to.

1 Like

I had no trouble with Alan except the odd word or two scattered around. I come from near the same area as him, so I’m probably just used to it. The only bit I really wondered about was when he thought the onion was a good idea. Maybe the onion-shaped hats?

If you need me to interpret any part in particular then give me a timecode.

2 Likes

Yup, those hats

Will already gave it a go with the only model possible that everyone had in mind already ahahahah

9 Likes

That is awesome!

1 Like