More Than Evil Stunties : Ravening Hordes for the Off Topic

“Hey Flagellant,” you say. “Your love of 6th is well known and Ravening Hordes is where our list is found, but only two pages feature Chaos Dwarfs and one of them is the endsheet! What are all these other pages???”

Welcome a the world before army books, my friend! The result of needing to include all your old players (and their models) in your new edition without a profit motive yet in sight. While the lists are simple and lack a lot of the interesting rules and unit options that got fleshed out later there are hidden gems for almost every army that can let you field some really unique lists for 6th edition.

Here’s some of what I think are the most interesting bits for each army in Ravening Hordes. This is by no means a complete list of differences so if something looks interesting, dig into it!

Orcs and Goblins

The options available to this list is staggering, even by greenskin standards. Some stand-outs:

• Halberds! Not available on any units in 6th proper, throw em all over your orcs here
  • Classic night goblin netter/clubber combo
  • Forest goblins!
  • Solo squig hoppers
    And finally, there are no choppas. Sure you lose the +1 Strength on the charge, but you can finally benefit from that parry save!
Empire

The Rare choices are the obvious stand-out here. 9 options ranging from dwarfs to a simplified Steam Tank. Don’t overlook the Special options though! Lightly armoured greatswords come in at 6 pts/model without a 0-1 restriction, and Kislev Winged Lancers bring a lot of pain for only 16 pts. Also of note is no 0-1 restriction on Knights of the White Wolf.

Daemon Host

Your standard Daemons get a big buff here. While you trade a 5+ ward save for a 4+ armour save and lose Daemonic instability (for better or worse), all daemons get to cast spells (aside from bloodletters) and they almost all see increases to WS, I, A, and Ld. Chaos Spawn also get moved to Special for some potential craziness and the Rares are all cavalry. This can make for a very different experience on the table.

Chaos Warriors

These guys go hard with Chaos Armour being available to all Chaos Warriors, not just a single unit of Chosen. Unprecedented for the rest of 6th; this means you can walk around with your whole army with a 2+ sv in close combat for abysmally low points. I honestly wonder if this list is balanced!
Perhaps less exciting but more interesting is the Marauder focus. A marauder hero shows up, as does a marauder chariot, and you can give marauders an additional hand weapon and mounted marauders can take the rarely seen morning star!

Beasts of Chaos

Unfortunately there is very little to recommend about these guys in RH. With the loss of their unique rankable skirmish formation and Ambush they end up as a cheap horde army with Gors going at a modest 5 pts/model. The only real points to note are Gors having access to halberds and great weapons and there’s a 2+ armour save magic item that can be worn by a caster. At least you don’t suffer from Animosity like you would in 5th!

Skaven

Clanrats are not required to be the bulk of your army, or in your army at all! Though there’s not a lot to replace them with unfortunately. Giant rat packs clock in slightly under their army book points and you can bulk up on packmasters if desired. Giant rants also get to always wrap around similar to Sneaky Gits. They also have access to the Vermin Lord at a much cheaper cost of 475 points without taking a Rare slot!

Tomb Kings

The loss of the Hierophant rule is double-edged - your general is much tougher than any Liche Priest would be but will probably be in combat similar to the Vampire Counts. More interesting is your chariot changes. While they are still lighter in terms of Toughness they impact with the normal D6 and can have scythes! Also worth noting, Liche Priests cannot cast spells without a magic item from their list, however they have access to up to 10 scrolls each that do not count towards their magic item points limit and cannot be dispelled.

Vampire Counts

Core infantry are the stars here. Your basic skeleton has access to both heavy armour and halberds, which is even better since VC spells raise a model count instead of a points amount. Ghouls end up pretty really interesting as well - instead of skirmishers and poisoned attacks they are unbreakable so long as they outnumber the enemy!

Dwarfs

The benefit to dwarfs is in their slayers - they can include up to two Giant/Dragon/Daemon slayers in every unit and the they don’t count towards your character limit. This alone makes them more powerful than the classic Slayer cult of 6th, allowing you to field max Specials of them (no 0-1 limitation!) with a character (or more) in each, plus the additional backing of artillery and firearms (and more characters). The Organ Gun is also wild, literally counting as 5 light cannons at once. It can just delete units if you manage to get a shot off without a misfire!

Lizardmen

Ever wanted a Slann close combat god? Try walking your Level 4 wizard up with 6 attacks at WS5, S5, feeling safe with 8 Wounds on with your 4+ ward save. Also wild is a lack of Saurus cavalry, only skinks on cold ones. Salamanders get a nice bonus moving to Special instead of Rare. Not a lot of differences here, but some pretty funny ones.

High Elves

High elf archers get a nice bonus in that they can fire in two ranks instead of one in addition to fighting with an extra rank of spears. Also, Lothern Sea Guard are no longer 0-1. The combination can lead to a nasty array of sea guard, ranked 5 across while firing 10 shots, and when charged fight with the third rank. We also get to see the Handmaidens of the Everqueen here, essentially souped up versions of the Sea Guard (but with fantastic old models).

Dark Elves

I’m a big fan of mixed weapon formations and the Dark Elves get some fun ones. The City Guard, a unit that does not make an appearance in the army book, lets you create your own little unit of Pirazzo’s with some repeater(!) crossbows in front backed by spears. Corsairs can also take both additional hand weapon and repeater crossbows making for a nasty, if expensive, troop, and the Sea Dragon Cloak gives them an addition +1 armour save in close combat compared to their army book.

Wood Elves

Wood Elves end up with a surprisingly infantry-heavy focus. Their only Core choices are Glade Guard and Archers with your spear armed Glade Guard taking the place of the Eternal Guard in the army book. Most everything else ends up as a Special choice. The Rare’s come in with a couple unique points though, one being a chariot that you can mount characters in (2 per rare choice) and the other being a forest focused unit of skirmishers called Waywatchers.

Bretonnia

Brettonia gets a different Lance formation with some thematic rules. Instead of ranking 3 across you create a diamond formation, and every model in the unit attacks on the charge instead of just the flanks! Makes for even more attacks, however you lose the possibility for a rank bonus.

And on a broader note, though there are not many unique magic items there are some that do not exist in their later army book.

Hope this inspires you to try out a new list with an old army!

4 Likes

As perhaps earth’s last passionate forest goblin collector, I was remember being disappointed by what the point of having them on the RH list was, given they all just have the Common Goblin statline. I think the one option is the spider for the heroes, right?

Also, what do netters & clubbers do here, and are they a separate unit or an upgrade for night gobs?

1 Like

I believe forest goblins are the same in 5th, right? It is disappointing they don’t have anything different, I always thought frenzied goblins would be hilarious. I think what they really miss out on is the Forest Goblin Shamans and their spider venom casting.

Netters and Clubbers are a separate mixed weapon unit. Essentially every hit by a netter causes an automatic S4 hit from a clubber!

Maybe a weird question but do they skirmish?

Hey i have a full forest goblin army. 1 unit is 100 strong!

Sadly no ogres in r.h. they came out later in 6th i think

In a good many ways the r.h. chaos dwarf list is stronger than 8th and 9th wap books. 2pt hobbos, great blunderbusses, better centaurs, safer casting by sorcerers. Points are generally cheaper but the choices avaible make me very sad

1 Like

Neither forest goblins nor Netters skirmish in either RH or 5th unfortunately

I love forest goblins, they really embody the cheeky wild goblin style more than the other greenskins. Sadly, I only managed to buy a few of them before they were discontinued - metal models that were only worth 2 points were pretty hard to justify when I was a poor student and my CD army was barely operational. I got a few to use in a Blood Bowl team, which did triple duty in a chariot and as part of the squig herd unit. At least they made a comeback in 8th edition.

I do wonder if GW will do a book of RH style lists when they bring back ranked Warhammer. It made it so much easier to try out different army styles with what you had.

3 Likes

RH was a fill in released at the start of 6th edition, as 6th was very different to 4 and 5. It was a way to use your 5th edition armies in 6th edition, before your army got an army book.

A couple got an ‘extra’ update before their books came out in annuals (Bretonnia & Chaos Demons IIRC) to add a bit more flavour. So in RH, they were basically just fill in and just the basics to get you by lists.

Chaos Dwarfs were retired so were left in a 5th edition limbo.

I remember when Forest and Night Goblins were introduced at the start of 4th edition. Before 4th edition, miniatures were extremely random (until the Marauder line introduced a bit of uniform). Although I despise what 4th edition and those early/mid 90s did to the game; Night and (especially) Forest Goblins blew my mind. I could really imagine their existence. Before that goblins had very little character.

1 Like

@Zoddtheimmortal We must have posted at the same time and I didn’t see your response, that’s an incredible forest goblin army! I do love their models, do you have a pic of your full army here?

While I can’t speak to CD strength in later editions it would certainly be interesting to see how they’d fare in a mirror match.

I think a lot of people share that hope, and I believe they’ll have to. GW likes to keep the hype going with a drip release schedule, but you need to have a lot of people buy in a the start and for that they need armies.

They were in RH otherwise we wouldn’t be able to play 6th and 7th. I just didn’t include them here because there’s no army book to consider changes against :wink:

2 Likes

I’m not sure if you were active back then, but let me clarify. Forgive me if I’m trying to teach you to suck eggs.

So, along with a vastly different ruleset for 6th edition the miniatures were changed too. Darker, more realistic poses and far less comic. An example would be Black Orcs of 4th/5th vs 6th/7th.

So with each army book a new figure line was introduced. With a brand new look and feel.

As GW had no intention of updating the Chaos Dwarf line, the list was ‘grand fathered’ through RH. As we moved further into 6th and into 7th RH became a lot less accepted as official.

So CDs were left in a 5th edition list converted to 6th limbo.

I first started playing Warhammer Fantasy during 4th edition, but quickly became a diehard when 5th edition was released.
My Hobgoblin army (alongside their CD lackeys) and hordes of all metal goblin armies were lovingly led to battle every weekend…I had a girlfriend who broke up with me because she (rightfully) claimed I spent more time with my Warhammer buddies than with her.
Sorry Raysha!
Yeah, I loved Herohammer, the armies were fun, simple enough that beginners could get into it without getting overwhelmed, a better balanced magic system that didn’t go overboard on spam magic items etc, and just about everyone who played it had 3 or 4 armies.
Ravening Hordes was a great idea to transition people’s armies to 6th edition, but it emasculated and killed my goblin armies, so after playing maybe a dozen or so games of 6th edition, I refused to play it again…nothing wrong with it really, but it just wasn’t the same.
That was fine, because me and my buddies just said F it, we’ll go back to 5th edition.
Over the years though, I’ve learned a new appreciation for Ravening Hordes and 6th edition…it was definitely unit centric, compared to Herohammer, but it was a good game that was still better than 7th and 8th edition.
Apologies to fans of 7th and 8th.
I think what I really missed in later editions was the emphasis on the Hero model.
We all had our favorite hero and boss characters (5th edition is heavily geared towards them) and we had personalized names for every hero, personalized paint jobs etc.
That’s where Fuggit Khan was born.

2 Likes