Old world speculation

Hey,

It just occurred to me that we just might get rules for more than just legion of azgorh.

At first, when legacy factions were mentioned I just assumed that they’d throw in everything from 8th edition and maybe adjust points depending on rules etc.

Now however, with them stating that all factions, including legacy ones will get the same grand army treatment as was shown with brets it doesn’t feel that far fetched that we will also get a proper list. Legion of Azgorh might well be an army of infamy for example.
Since bretonnia even get a bombard as one of their options I don’t see it being such a stretch that they’d include options for the old chaos dwarf models since they actually exist and quite a few people still have them.

Any thoughts?

4 Likes

They did work with Creative Assembly on their version, and they greenlit all the 90s content that went in to that - so from that perspective, there is a reason to be optimistic.
Ultimately though I think we are at the mercy of fortune in terms of how they assign this list as a piece of work. If it gets given to someone who doesn’t take an interest in the faction, then we may get a paste of tamurkhan.

I am hopeful but not optimistic.

Doubtless this community will work with whatever we get for decades to come.

4 Likes

In principle I tend to agree with you, especially in the characters and core sections. Legion of Azgorh list had

1 (generic) Lord
4 Heroes
2 Core
6 Special
5 Rare

That’s not even that small! The army list definitely lacks core units and a dedicated fighter lord. Exactly the things Total War moved in from the classic army list, I might add. So it stands to reason that we will gain regular Chaos Dwarfs and maybe even the smaller Bull Centaurs. And the Overlord. Mercenaries and Allies are just perfect to get space units from O&G.

Just on a technical note, it is expected that the legacy armies will only get the grand army list in the pdf and no armies of infamy. I’d say TOW would need to be wildly successful for that to change. Although this quite elegant system with alternative army lists in the arcana journals certainly opens up the possibility for something like this being released in white dwarf or campaign booky

2 Likes

I think Armies of Infamy are a great creative space best left to us in the medium term anyway.

We have the benefit of a very broad set of concepts in our roster when compared to many mainstream factions. We’re more akin to Empire than Bretonnia in terms of the flexibility on offer, so listing of that nature should be easy.

Here are three concepts immediately;

• a slave army that subs in Ogres, humans and higher tier greenskin units but cannot field our traditional elites
  • the Legion of Azgorh (the actual Legion) that focusses on core heavy infantry and machines at the expense of magic, monsters and mobility
  • a Priesthood army that inverts that with more K’daai, better monsters and core BCs but a lack of stable central line infantry both light and heavy

The thing is, because we have so many options, we already do a lot of these as pet projects ourselves. The only question will be how to combine it with the rules.

5 Likes

You’re absolutely right!
Between Armies of Infamy and Mercenaries there is so much potential for flavourful armies. What I really would love to see return in the long run are the old-style campaign boxes. While they always had restricted army lists for the included scenarios, this now feels much more codified and possible to use these armies also in regular games outside of the campaign.

I’m really interested to learn what else will be part of armies of infamy. It feels like there is only so much you can do with moving units around (like “this is now core and not special”) or changing min/max conditions while keeping a reasonable army, so I guess we will also see specific special rules or buffs for the army, kind of like battalions or what they’re called in AoS and 40K work. They can also set new boundaries with mercenaries and allies here, gosh the possibilities are endless!

4 Likes

I think the most important thing for design of variant lists is, you must take as much as you give.

That seems present in the bretonnian border prince concept. Gain some black powder in return for a loss of higher tier knights. Hopefully it bodes well for the set of projects - let’s be real Justus- there’s going to be a night goblin AoI and you and I will be using it.

3 Likes

Legion of Azgorh was already pretty close to the previous CD list. You got your regular warriors and those with guns, you got hobgoblins and some with two knives, some on wolves, you got a rocket launcher and a big cannon. The biggest change was super large Bull Centaurs instead of the cavalry sized ones, and the loss of other greenskins. You could merge the two lists without losing or gaining too much.

In general, it will be a while before CDs get a proper list/book. It looks like they want soft releases of old plastics for the first few years, of which we don’t have any.

5 Likes

Oh 100%! I hope the Grand Army list is open enough to already allow a Night Goblin Waaagh, but a dedicated Night Goblins Army of Infamy with some changes and special rules would be just fantastic. I think they can do a lot of great things with Orcs & Goblins, from separating the different tribes to famous Waaaghs, there is a lot of potential.

2 Likes

Really sorry if this doesn’t belong/isn’t allowed here, but I’m way too hyped not to share this here.

A very reliable user on an AoS forum I’m on has just shared that Chaos Dwarfs are sadly most likely not on the cards for Old World.

Because they are most likely coming for AoS 4.0. No concrete date given.
Please take with the usual salt to avoid disappointment (advice mostly for me).

Again, sorry if this sort off stuff isn’t allowed here (part of why I didn’t put this in a new thread), but I haven’t been this hyped for something in a long while :smiley:

What they have leaked/teased in the past 4 years

(leaked basically the full Ossiarch release in 2019, teased an AoS Skaven vs Sylvaneth battlebox before any official teasers for it, directed the Cities of Sigmar range refresh speculation away from doomsaying by confirming some things (ogor unit, great cannon, general army aesthetics, correctly identified city subfaction logos based off of the first revealed artwork etc.), and generally gives small teasers (Flesh-Eater Courts new units, factions that will get imminent releases (Seraphon, Cities, Warclans, FEC for this edition)) and debunks fake “leaks”)

1 Like

That’s horrible news! No rules for the good game because there’s rules in the bad pseudo-fantasy game that doesn’t even have a proper setting?

You’ve played The Old World? @chorg

It matches with what we’ve been hearing since Dominion, fully consider it to be when not if. Horns of Hashut alone tells a lot.

3 Likes

Or Age of Sigmar for that matter?

Chaos Dwarfs will get a complete army list for Warhammer Fantasy for the first time in, well, technically forever. That’s huge. And unless you want to partake in an official GW tournament, you’re good to go.

1 Like

I think the “this because this” logic is incorrect.

Gw have been planning AOS chaos dwarfs for years and years.

Separately, GW also put together a smaller team to create the Old World.

If the Old World team wanted Chaos Dwarfs, they would have them.

• Warriors of Chaos
  • Beasts of Chaos
  • Empire
  • Wood Elves
  • High Elves

All have AOS factions based on them and a slot in The Old World.

The nuance being put on the “either or” here is totally artificial.

2 Likes

“Sadly most likely not on the cards” = we have known they arent planned for TOW since the TOW launch panel Q&A

3 Likes

Don’t know what you mean by “not on the cards” unless you just mean “no model releases”.

GW have publicly announced their plans for the “minor” factions of TOW.

They don’t usually lie about this sort of stuff. They take their sweet time (see the Militia PDF for Horus Heresy) but they do deliver.

4 Likes

Yeah, sorry, just meant probably no long term plans for TOW-specific minis.

And the “this because this” is mainly what elicited the response from the guy.

There is also some speculation going on about the full Beast of Chaos faction being squatted from AoS and fully being moved to TOW to reduce overlap (like Horus Heresy units no longer being usable in 40k), so imho this idea is not completely unreasonable.

But TOW doesn’t seem to be affecting other “counterpart” factions, so who knows what’s going on at those Nottingham offices :dead:

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s what I took from the quoted passage: we can expect to see some support from anything in Forces of Fantasy or Ravening Hordes, and absolutely nothing for the PDF forces aside from lists. Same deal as Horus Heresy, where Militia and Ruinstorm Daemons aren’t getting any dedicated new releases.

1 Like